Adding drums to the piano roll

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Elliott_90

Adding drums to the piano roll

Post by Elliott_90 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:46 pm

How do you add a drum sound, such as a snare, to the piano roll so you can play the snare as a different note on each key ranging through different pitches?
Up until now I have been using drum rack but it only lets you play the drum sound as the root note. There must be a simple thing I'm missing, cos when I used FL studio you just dragged a sound in and it would automatically be mapped to each key?

infernal.machine

Re: Adding drums to the piano roll

Post by infernal.machine » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:08 pm

You can use sampler.

I prefer to create an audio track in Arrangement and manually pitch up/down the particular sound I want to the particular pitches I want. Then I crop all the clips and throw them in a drum rack.

Elliott_90

Post by Elliott_90 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:52 pm

I havnt got sampler as i dont have suite..... but yeh guess i can automate pitch...... Cheers mate

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:30 pm

You can view sounds in the piano roll by loading them into Simpler on separate tracks, without any Drum Racks.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:37 pm

You can achieve the same effect of a drum rack by placing all the different simpler instruments in an instrument rack. But, you must separate the different instruments using the Key Selector, like this.

Note* that Simple naturally keytracks relative to C3, so any notes that are not C3 must be pitch correct back to this amount for the original sample to play as the original sample. In this picture you will notice that the instrument in focus is transposed down semitones.