Moving Ableton projects and the Sample library to another PC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
balonny009

Moving Ableton projects and the Sample library to another PC

Post by balonny009 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:40 am

Hello,
I'm thinking of buying another computer, to cope easier with massive sound library and Ableton projects.
The thing is I don't know once I move the Library to another PC with my Ableton recognize the project files? Perhaps a crazy question,
but I've been using my computer for so long time now, so I'm a bit concerned with this.

Thanks a bunch for any info and tips.
:lol: 8O

stoersignal

Re: Moving Ableton projects and the Sample library to another PC

Post by stoersignal » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:11 pm

either all the samples and stuff must be in the same location or you "collect all and save" in every single project.
i solved that problem with getting 1 TB Dropbox space and put all my projects and all my samples inside. this way, no matter on which computer i am everything is right there (after sync is finished of course)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:16 pm

I agree.

Dropbox is a good solution for long term synchronization and porting. But setup and initial sync can be a headache

Stoersignal's first suggestion would be what I would do in your case.

Make sure that the file path to your user library, your sample library and your project folder are exactly the same on both computers. If they are, Live should be able to find the files without much difficulty.

balonny009

Post by balonny009 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:58 am

Thank you for mentioning Dropbox, I already use it so it might be a good solution.
On the other hand re:dream mentioned just the thing I had on my mind, in case all the file paths are the same
Ableton should recognize every single project.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:00 pm

Collect all and Save definitely.

+1 for cloud-based project folders and libraries. I store everything on there as well. Syncs perfectly between desktop and laptop, but my main reason for using it (Google Drive in this case - 100GB @ $2/month) is for peace of mind. If my home burns down or gets burgled, at least my music and 3d animation projects are safe.

Never have to think of doing backups either as anything in the cloud directory is uploaded immediately.