noob question from a long time user

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Ryder17

noob question from a long time user

Post by Ryder17 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:19 pm

I've been using ableton solely since 2006 when I ditched cubase. I've recently set up a commercial studio and have a much higher work rate (based around live tracking bands and whatnot, not so much the electronic production live excels at) and started to find live isn't really very efficient at that kind of thing (no native mixer snapshots, comping facility, render in place facility...yadda yadda) so, I am in the process of moving this work over to reaper.
Upon bouncing down stems to pull up in reaper, i'm noticing strange artifacts in some stems. Strange sounds at really low volumes, barely audible but once you hear them, they are there. This has made me worry about how live bounces and records audio, something that has never been an issue to me before and has left me with this question.

I have my record format set to 44/24. When exporting audio at 44/24, I still get a status bar saying "converting audio to 24 bit". Upon researching this, I read somewhere that live records at 32 bit float no matter what the setting are. Is this correct? Indeed, when I export at 32 bit, it dosen't say "converting to 32 bit" and the process is much quicker so I have been working on the assumption that this method should result in perfect, untouched .wav stems. Is that right?

Stromkraft

Re: noob question from a long time user

Post by Stromkraft » Fri May 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Ryder17 wrote:I've been using ableton solely since 2006 when I ditched cubase.…

i'm noticing strange artifacts in some stems. Strange sounds at really low volumes, barely audible but once you hear them, they are there. This has made me worry about how live bounces and records audio, something that has never been an issue to me before and has left me with this question.

I have my record format set to 44/24. When exporting audio at 44/24, I still get a status bar saying "converting audio to 24 bit". Upon researching this, I read somewhere that live records at 32 bit float no matter what the setting are. Is this correct? Indeed, when I export at 32 bit, it dosen't say "converting to 32 bit" and the process is much quicker so I have been working on the assumption that this method should result in perfect, untouched .wav stems. Is that right?
I'm not sure what your noises are, but you should export without dithering in any case and try 32bit to compare. Do a null test between them too.
All of these details are, as you probably know but forgot, in the manual:
33. Audio Fact Sheet.

Also it's Ableton Live or just Live, not "Ableton", just as Steinberg Cubase, isn't called "Steinberg". Yeah, I know it's common, but it's still wrong.
Make some music!