So, who's ready for Windows 10?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GunBee

Re: So, who's ready for Windows 10?

Post by GunBee » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Windows 10 runs flawlessly here with Ableton Live 9.2 + Push + RME Hammerfall HDSP9632 audio card. Feels faster & smoother.
Audio latency on Windows is still bound to the use of solid ASIO drivers, but RME does a great job on this.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Well I did it and amazingly it all worked first time including the ancient FirePod. I'm actually impressed. Has Microsoft finally got its act together?
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:28 pm

So I've just spent the entire evening trying to sort out this goddamn clusterfuck where I couldn't do anything, as the Start button wasn't working, the settings were inaccessible, etc., etc., after the upgrade. Turns out my User Profile was "corrupted", somehow. I'm now copying all the folders and files into my new profile, hoping that I won't have to set up all my apps all over again. So much for a simple and seamless upgrade.

And to be honest - Windows 10 is quite underwhelming so far. The only real reason for upgrading is that it's free right now, and it's the only way to get updates in the future.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:52 pm

Well, this upgrade has turned out to be a complete trainwreck...

None of the so-called built-in apps are anywhere to be found on my system. An MS rep suggested I download the .iso and create a boot disc, buuut ... when I launch the Windows 10 Setup from the disc, it won't recognise my Product Key. Only option left is to roll back to Windows 7 and start over, buuut ... I CAN'T roll back to Windows 7, because the needed files have apparently "been removed from this computer".

Fuck.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:14 pm

GunBee wrote:Windows 10 runs flawlessly here with Ableton Live 9.2 + Push + RME Hammerfall HDSP9632 audio card. Feels faster & smoother.
Audio latency on Windows is still bound to the use of solid ASIO drivers, but RME does a great job on this.
Just curious if RME released W10 drivers or are you using W7 or 8 drivers. I don't own an RME product yet but I know driver support is the best.

GunBee

Post by GunBee » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:44 am

kitekrazy wrote: Just curious if RME released W10 drivers or are you using W7 or 8 drivers. I don't own an RME product yet but I know driver support is the best.
I tried both scenarios and both work absolutely fine.
Scenario 1 : I upgraded my Windows 8.1 DAW with the existing Win8 RME drivers to Windows 10 (= in-place upgrade, keeping the existing drivers & applications). Result : OK.
Scenario 2 : I performed a full reset of my Windows 10 DAW (Reset this PC - Remove everything) and manually installed the RME Windows 10 drivers. Result : OK.

RME has Windows 10 drivers (32/64 bit) for all HDSP and HDSPe cards/systems, and indeed, their driver support is excellent.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/downloads/driver/hdspe.php

SLEEarts

Post by SLEEarts » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:28 pm

I've upgraded 3 computers to Windows 10, and everything went smoothly. All of my music software and hardware now runs quicker, I'm able to use a smaller buffer, and there seems to be better stability.

I used to hate Microsoft, but this has been a wonderful upgrade for me. Good for them, and thanks for the good, free OS.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:32 am

sporkles wrote: And to be honest - Windows 10 is quite underwhelming so far..
This is my experience with windows 10 as well. I have been using it off on as an "insider :roll: " and I was really surprised they released it in its current state. I still consider it to be a beta.

I was running it on two computers. The first computer was a pc I built myself and the second a 2013 Apple laptop (the douchey macbook "pro"). On both systems Windows 10 fell way below my expectations of how an OS should behave. I had a lot of issues with slow loading times (especially with all the new windows apps including cortana) and things just not working as they should.

I was really annoyed to see that they got rid of the control panel. Like all the new desktop apps, I found the new control panel not to be release ready. Then there was the driver issues with my sound card which makes this version of windows in its current state junk for me.

I have read a lot of raving reviews about performance , but I really do not get it. In every test I did Windows 10 was slower than Windows 8.1
Windows 10 does not run better than OSX on an Apple laptop as some 16 year old tech bloggers would have you to believe .

Then there is the way Windows updates..It does not update in the background. You wake up one day to turn your computer on and realize that you just need to "sit back and relax a while" while windows updates. This makes it unusable in a business setting. This is also how the Xbox One updates which makes no sense at all. Ps4 and OSX both instal updates in the background.
Android is the only other operating system that I can think of that renders your device useless until the os is done installing updates.

If I could not use OSX right now I would either stick with windows 8.1 (with automatic update turned off) until it's no longer supported by anyone or I would use Linux Mint or BSD.

I didn't mention the privacy nightmare and the lack of user control.... Thats another rant for another day.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:19 am

The control panel is still there; you just have to right-click the start menu in order to get to it, but I'm sure their plan is to eventually bury it inside the new settings. Aside from the missing apps, W10 has been running quite all right for me, but that's just it: what's the big deal? It looks like a half-baked compromise between new and old; like there's no unified design or approach. Which begs the question: if 10 is supposed to be the "last" version of Windows, the fact that it's introduced as a free upgrade which leaves so much old stuff intact, seems like a recipe for disaster to me. All that rubbish that's potentially left in there after an in-place upgrade, instead of going cold turkey...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:31 am

You can request the full .iso and install fresh.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:00 pm

But will that be a *free* upgrade? I was told by an MS rep that I wouldn't be able to use my Windows 7 product key, (and I had already tried that) - so how does that work, exactly?

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:37 pm

nathannn wrote:
Then there is the way Windows updates..It does not update in the background. You wake up one day to turn your computer on and realize that you just need to "sit back and relax a while" while windows updates. This makes it unusable in a business setting. This is also how the Xbox One updates which makes no sense at all. Ps4 and OSX both instal updates in the background.
Android is the only other operating system that I can think of that renders your device useless until the os is done installing updates.
Hmm, both my Xbox One and all 4 of my Windows 10 PCs download updates in the background. The XB1 installs updates while in Standby mode and is always ready for action in the morning. The PCs all install and restart automatically at 3 in the morning so they are ready to go the next day too.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:45 pm

Fizmarble wrote:
nathannn wrote:
Hmm, both my Xbox One and all 4 of my Windows 10 PCs download updates in the background. The XB1 installs updates while in Standby mode and is always ready for action in the morning. The PCs all install and restart automatically at 3 in the morning so they are ready to go the next day too.
Microsoft is inherently flawed for not doing things without your permission. Apple considers doing things without your permission a feature.

/PC vs Mac debate.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:01 pm

sporkles wrote:But will that be a *free* upgrade? I was told by an MS rep that I wouldn't be able to use my Windows 7 product key, (and I had already tried that) - so how does that work, exactly?
Windows 10 Upgrade is free. Windows 10 is not. but once you activate Windows 10, you can use it to make a clean install disk. essentially you use Windows 10 to make yourself a Windows 10 installer.
this explains the process;

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi ... 21fbd807a7

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:46 am

Fizmarble wrote:
nathannn wrote:
Hmm, both my Xbox One and all 4 of my Windows 10 PCs download updates in the background. .
Im not talking about how they handle downloads. Im talking about how Windows based systems handle installs of updates.
Almost every time I visit my cousin he turns on his xbox and we wait for a while before it's finished installing.
I used to wake up and turn on my Windows 8 based pc and would have to wait up to an hour for it to do whatever it wanted to do.

Osx does not download updated unless I go into the app store and click on the updates I want to instal. Osx installs the updates and still gives me access to my computer while doing so.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.