Where do samples get copied to when I make 128s?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Citizen

Where do samples get copied to when I make 128s?

Post by Citizen » Mon May 18, 2015 5:28 am

I get the following kind of status when I created 128s of samples, and save them to my library:

photo sharing

Where is Live copying the samples to?

Is this duplication of files necessary – and if I delete a 128 from my library, does it free up the space that the prior duplication of the samples took up?
:?:

Thanks!

Stromkraft

Re: Where do samples get copied to when I make 128s?

Post by Stromkraft » Mon May 18, 2015 10:05 am

Citizen wrote:I get the following kind of status when I created 128s of samples, and save them to my library:

photo sharing

Where is Live copying the samples to?

Is this duplication of files necessary – and if I delete a 128 from my library, does it free up the space that the prior duplication of the samples took up?
:?: !
You don't tell us where the source files are?

You can check yourself where the samples have gone by selecting the sample area and choose "Show in Browser". From there you can choose "Show in Finder/Explorer" if you need to check where in the file system. Needless to say, if you put the samples in your sample library they're part of your Live library and you won't need to copy anything, as the source files would be findable already.

I'm on OS X so I have chosen to keep my samples in ~/Library/Audio/Samples. "~" is my home folder.
Make some music!

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu May 21, 2015 9:00 am

OK, so it seems that Ableton IS copying my samples somewhere when I create 128s – into a folder that now houses 28,000 files!!!! (4.6GB!!!) 8O

Erm...is this the default behaviour?! Surely I don't need my samples to be duplicated?

I normally keep my samples in:

MUSIC > Samples > Sample pack > Sub-folder (ie. kicks, whatever)

Live is duplicating them to:

ABLETON > USER LIBRARY > SAMPLES > IMPORTED

Q: Is there a way to simply reference the original files in their original location, without creating unnecessary duplicates?

Q: Can I 'relink' all my 128s that I've made, so that they reference the original location of the files, so that I can delete the duplicates?

:?:

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu May 21, 2015 12:14 pm

OK, I think it is the 'Collect Files on Export' option in the Library Tab in the Preferences that is doing this.

TBH, I've only had this selected cause that was what Ill Gates suggested in his Workshop on 128s – which he recommended as it imports the samples into the User Library and 'makes the whole library portable...and stuff' :P

I'm not sure if I fully understood the implication of doing it this way – but how is doing that any more portable than simply having Live reference the original location that all my samples are stored? (ie.the same location ALL my DAWs reference from)

Is anyone able to clarify the advantage of doing it either way – cause it just seems that I'm clogging up my hard drive unecessarily ATM.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu May 21, 2015 12:48 pm

with one you can theoretically just transfer the project file to another computer and all samples will be there when you open it in another copy of Live, while in the other case you will just have a lot of sample not found messages.

Why not put all your samples in the user library and delete the original location, if you are that starved for space?!

Otherwise, just leave well enough alone and see it as an additional back up :wink:

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu May 21, 2015 1:20 pm

TomViolenz wrote:with one you can theoretically just transfer the project file to another computer and all samples will be there when you open it in another copy of Live, while in the other case you will just have a lot of sample not found messages.
Just so I'm clear – if I have a project/set that uses one of my 128s, and I choose to copy that project to another computer, the samples will be copied with it? (from the Ableton 'User Library')

Do I have to do a File >'Collect All and Save' for this to happen?

Where as if I was to do the same, and my 128 samples were NOT in the Live User Library, they won't copy? Is that right?
TomViolenz wrote:Why not put all your samples in the user library and delete the original location, if you are that starved for space?!
Because I spent FOREVER sorting and tagging my samples in Maschine, and they all exist in this my current folder. Relocating everything will break that. :roll:

TomViolenz wrote:Otherwise, just leave well enough alone and see it as an additional back up :wink:
Possibly, just seems really inefficient – having duplicates of all those samples.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu May 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Citizen wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:with one you can theoretically just transfer the project file to another computer and all samples will be there when you open it in another copy of Live, while in the other case you will just have a lot of sample not found messages.
Just so I'm clear – if I have a project/set that uses one of my 128s, and I choose to copy that project to another computer, the samples will be copied with it? (from the Ableton 'User Library')

Do I have to do a File >'Collect All and Save' for this to happen?

Where as if I was to do the same, and my 128 samples were NOT in the Live User Library, they won't copy? Is that right?
yes collect all and save is necessary for transfer and no, the samples will just be copied into the user library (akaik)
TomViolenz wrote:Why not put all your samples in the user library and delete the original location, if you are that starved for space?!
Because I spent FOREVER sorting and tagging my samples in Maschine, and they all exist in this my current folder. Relocating everything will break that. :roll:
understood
TomViolenz wrote:Otherwise, just leave well enough alone and see it as an additional back up :wink:
Possibly, just seems really inefficient – having duplicates of all those samples.
don't give in to OCD, it's a distraction :P

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu May 21, 2015 1:56 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
don't give in to OCD, it's a distraction :P
Totally. God knows how many fucking days I've lost trying to get my Push to integrate into my workflow. :roll:

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu May 21, 2015 2:09 pm

OK – so I've just done a test.

With a single 128 in a set – nothing else. It is referencing its samples from my usual location (ie. NOT been copied into the Live 'User Library')

I do a FILE > COLLECT ALL AND SAVE

...and get the following message:

images upload

(I'm assuming 'elsewhere' includes my regular storage location for samples)

I click 'OK' - a little progress bar appears, and boom – all my samples from the project have been copied into the Project folder, ready to be taken to another computer, or whatever.

Sooooooo.... I still don't understand why I would ever choose to have the 'Collect Files on Export' preference set to 'ALWAYS'.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 21, 2015 10:22 pm

Citizen wrote:O

I click 'OK' - a little progress bar appears, and boom – all my samples from the project have been copied into the Project folder, ready to be taken to another computer, or whatever.

Sooooooo.... I still don't understand why I would ever choose to have the 'Collect Files on Export' preference set to 'ALWAYS'.
This is for archiving a song that you might need to get back to at a later date on another system when you possibly have restructured your sample library (maybe due to disk failure or by choice), or that you plan to share with someone, like a music partner, that doesn't have your sample library. Keeping the samples for the project in the project makes it possible to play the project whenever, wherever you want.

It's a trade between disk space and convenience. Personally, I never copy samples, but place them in my library from where I reference them. If I share a project I do save and collect for the project, not for the library. In this case I might also get rid of the unused samples, as I don't need to share them.
Make some music!

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Fri May 22, 2015 5:08 am

Stromkraft wrote: This is for archiving a song that you might need to get back to at a later date on another system when you possibly have restructured your sample library (maybe due to disk failure or by choice), or that you plan to share with someone, like a music partner, that doesn't have your sample library. Keeping the samples for the project in the project makes it possible to play the project whenever, wherever you want.
I get that, but still feel that simply doing a 'Collect All and Save' at the end of the project achieves the same purpose, without clogging the hard drive in anticipation of such scenarios.

Stromkraft wrote:It's a trade between disk space and convenience. Personally, I never copy samples, but place them in my library from where I reference them. If I share a project I do save and collect for the project, not for the library.
Yeah, this is what I think I will do from now on. Just seems the most sensible approach.

A quick question: if I were to delete ALL the samples in the 'IMPORTED' folder in the Live User Library, will my 128s still be referencing the original location in my sample folder, or be unsuccessfully searching the User Library for missing samples?

If its the latter, is it a simple matter to relink the 128s to the original sample location?

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sat May 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Does anyone know the answer to the above before I attempt it?

I always back up, but it would be good to know what to expect before I atttempt it. :P

braduro

Post by braduro » Sat May 23, 2015 5:16 pm

I think you will break those drum racks.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun May 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Citizen wrote:
A quick question: if I were to delete ALL the samples in the 'IMPORTED' folder in the Live User Library, will my 128s still be referencing the original location in my sample folder, or be unsuccessfully searching the User Library for missing samples?

If its the latter, is it a simple matter to relink the 128s to the original sample location?
You need to investigate your racks and see where the source files are. You could see just move the imported folder and see what breaks. Move it back if you can't fix it.
Make some music!