How fast do your Live sets load?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

How fast do your sets load into Live?

Not over 10 seconds
17%
Not over 20 seconds
17%
Not over 30 seconds
2%
Not over 40 seconds
10%
Not over 50 seconds
2%
Not over 60 seconds
7%
Over 1 minute
22%
2 minutes or more
22%

Total votes: 41

TomViolenz

Re: How fast do your Live sets load?

Post by TomViolenz » Fri May 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Stromkraft wrote: Considering what Live can calculate in real time it's a mystery. But as Live supported multiple really of two old OSes with two versions of Live (8 and 9) we could suspect there are probably some old coding debts Ableton must pay to be able to pull that off. Even 2 years ago it was really rare for anyone to support OS X 10.5 and to some extent even Windows XP. When Ableton abandoned these they hopefully bought themselves some freedom from old structures and libraries. Hopefully future versions of Live will show if this can make a difference or not.
let's hope so

D3VOUR

Post by D3VOUR » Fri May 22, 2015 5:16 pm

If I am loading a blank Ableton project maybe 5 seconds at the most (application is on my SSD so it it super fast).

If I am loading an existing project that utilizes Kontakt libraries (external 7200RPM drive), M4L devices, etc. it can take maybe 15-20 seconds if the project is big.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri May 22, 2015 6:35 pm

I actually started this topic on the beta forum a day or so ago - here's my post from over there:
For me, Live sure is taking its time during startup. From the instant I double-click the Live icon until the interface is fully loaded, 26 seconds pass. From that point until Push lights up, another 14 seconds pass. And from *that* point until Live is actually responsive to my input, *another* 25 seconds pass.

Total startup time: 1 minute, 15 seconds.

Part of my startup-routine now is to impatiently jiggle the mouse cursor over the "file, edit, create, view, options, help" menubar, just to see when the mouse-over effect is no longer lagging. When these menu items are highlighted the instant I mouse over and return to normal the instant I move the cursor away, I know that Live is ready.

I don't think I have the most elaborate template; it's eight MIDI and audio tracks, three return tracks and six bus tracks. The problem has existed for as long as I can remember during the current beta run.

My setup is:
Intel Core i7-5820K, 3.3 GHz
32 GB RAM (DDR 4)
64-bit Windows 7 Professional
Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 (due for replacement - it seems it's giving me a lot of crackles and pops - apparently a known issue with NI interfaces on Windows).
Push, Axiom 61 (1st gen), Launchpad Mini

mcnelson

Post by mcnelson » Sat May 23, 2015 7:06 am

Win 8.1x64, 8GB Ram, Hybrid HDD.

Default set loads in about 5 seconds but is pretty spartan - 4 midi tracks, 2 audio tracks, 2 returns.

Project take a lot longer, usually over a minute, especially where M4L devices are present. My projects are never that big either, usually less than 30 tracks, mostly midi (about 60% midi / 40% audio), maybe 5-6 minutes.

My backup DAW is Tracktion 6 (my first DAW from 2004, always had a soft spot for it), and that loads edits (sets) in the blink of an eye.
Ableton Live::Audio Damage::Sonic Charge::Sugar Bytes

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:03 pm

Thank you all for sharing your experience and for voting. Keep them coming!

It does seem quite a few are going over one minute to load one song (40%). It would be interesting to test 3 or more very different songs regarding to size on 3 or more very different computers to learn where the bottle necks are.

If it's not reading from disk — which seems unlikely as project size doesn't seem to matter — that is taking so long it must something else like decompressing, analyzing and reconstructing the song parts for real time playback. It would seem this could be cached more efficiently for active projects and that the compressed type that is in use today could be for archived projects. There's likely a tradeoff that Ableton did at some point.

I suggest we all make requests about this to Ableton, clearly explaining the benefits for Live performances and studio efficiency. I could live with 20 seconds load times for bigger projects. It should be possible, right?
Make some music!

suhler

Post by suhler » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:56 pm

I`m on a iMac mid-2010 with 4 gb ram, intel core i5 2.8 GHz (quad core) and a 1 TB sata disk.

My default set with 10 midi tracks, some VST-Plugins and audio effects loads in 20 sec. My current set with 23 midi tracks and lots and lots of plug-ins loads in 40 sec.

I guess since I`m working with not too much computing power the reason why my load time is relatively fast is because I rarely work with audio clips. Midi clips are tiny and audio files are huge. Perhaps that`s the reason why some of you guys have really long loading times with beasts as computers. Also, I run ableton in 32bit.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:41 pm

suhler wrote: I guess since I`m working with not too much computing power the reason why my load time is relatively fast is because I rarely work with audio clips.
I have usually zero audio clips in my projects so as I said I think it's unlikely to a be read in speed problem. I mean my machine starts up in 10 seconds and that includes starting up third party programs too.
Make some music!

owenp

Post by owenp » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:39 pm

I know this is a very old thread but Im in need of some serious help. People are talking about 50 second load times and I am amazed.

For me to open a project it takes between an hour and and hour and a half. Live opens in about three minutes but freezes straight away.. I go to file menu and I get the spinning wheel. This lasts 25 minutes. I then open my project and this takes between 30 minutes to an hour.

I cant get help off Ableton support as they do not reply to support tickets. Has anyone had any similar experience. Is it a corrupt install??? I cant seem to find an answer.

Im working off an iMac 2013 3.2GHz with 24gb of RAM. Loading projects off the internal HDD. Overall a great machine. I never had trouble with it until I started using Ableton 10.

Any help would be appreciated.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:48 pm

owenp wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:39 pm
I know this is a very old thread but Im in need of some serious help. People are talking about 50 second load times and I am amazed.

For me to open a project it takes between an hour and and hour and a half. Live opens in about three minutes but freezes straight away.. I go to file menu and I get the spinning wheel. This lasts 25 minutes. I then open my project and this takes between 30 minutes to an hour.

I cant get help off Ableton support as they do not reply to support tickets. Has anyone had any similar experience. Is it a corrupt install??? I cant seem to find an answer.

Im working off an iMac 2013 3.2GHz with 24gb of RAM. Loading projects off the internal HDD. Overall a great machine. I never had trouble with it until I started using Ableton 10.

Any help would be appreciated.
Prob best to keep a single question to a single thread...

owenp

Post by owenp » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks for your input.

The two topics may well be related if someone was having a similar issue.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:11 pm

Maybe, but it’s still best to post the same question on a forum just 1 time or simply reference a link in another thread to prevent multiple answers in different places. Did you run through what I suggested in your other thread??