Bad Sound Quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Soularis

Bad Sound Quality

Post by Soularis » Wed May 27, 2015 1:34 am

I have been working with ableton on and off for about a year but I ran into a problem. I was going looking at my recent projects I done but when I pressed play, The sound that was emitting was a very echo-scratchy type of sound that distorts the songs. It sounds like the sound is underwater. At first I thought it was the file that was corrupted but when I looked at the other projects it was the same thing. It had the same sound for both audio and midi tracks. When I input from my midi keyboard the sound was not as bad but still noticeable. I then went to my audio preferences and tried to change anything possible like sample rate, buffer size, etc and nothing worked. Im getting a bit upset and hoping someone can help me.

Im using a Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch. My audio interface is an AKAI Professional EIE pro. My midi keyboard is a novation launch key

Airyck

Re: Bad Sound Quality

Post by Airyck » Wed May 27, 2015 6:31 am

I don't know if this will be helpful but there is a reported problem with the eie that has been on going... Most ly with windows though..

http://community.akaipro.com/akai_profe ... ue_screens
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed May 27, 2015 7:18 am

have you installed the latest drivers?

http://www.akaipro.com/product/eiepro#downloads

Soularis

Post by Soularis » Wed May 27, 2015 6:48 pm

Yes My computer is new so I installed everything a little over a month ago and I reinstalled them just in case but still the same problem. I am really hoping it is not my interface because I don't have money man! :(((( lol

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed May 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Did you try outputting your signal through laptop's sound card ?

Soularis

Post by Soularis » Thu May 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:Did you try outputting your signal through laptop's sound card ?
How do I do that? And what does that do? Im not too computer savvy sorry

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Unplug the audio interface and run Live by itself from the computer speakers or headphones to see if anything changes.

Btw, what are you listening on? Speakers? Headphones? How are they connected? From Left and Right plugs or from a stereo plug like headphones? Are they studio monitors? A stereo receiver? Computer speakers?

Do you get this problem in itunes or youtube at all also?

Soularis

Post by Soularis » Thu May 28, 2015 8:32 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Unplug the audio interface and run Live by itself from the computer speakers or headphones to see if anything changes.

Btw, what are you listening on? Speakers? Headphones? How are they connected? From Left and Right plugs or from a stereo plug like headphones? Are they studio monitors? A stereo receiver? Computer speakers?

Do you get this problem in itunes or youtube at all also?
Ok I unplugged it and used my computers' sound card. The sound came out clear. I used it with the interface again and the shitty sound came back :(. I am just using my headphone that is plugged into my sound interface. I also don't have this problem anywhere else.

I also have absynth. The sound is not as bad but its still there. Grrrr. I guess its the interface. This sucks man. I have one question..

Would there be a big quality difference from switching to plugging my midi keyboard in the interface to plugging it straight into my computer?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:23 pm

The next step is to try other headphones or try speakers.

It can't 100% be concluded that it is your audio interface yet.

It kind of sounds like you're having a sound processing is phase cancellation issue of somekind. Like, as if your headphone plug wasn't plugged in all the way or there was some kind of DSP mode turned on.

Your headphone work fine on other devices? Do you use an adapter? Does the adapter work fine on other hardware?

Soularis

Post by Soularis » Thu May 28, 2015 9:53 pm

yur2die4 wrote:The next step is to try other headphones or try speakers.

It can't 100% be concluded that it is your audio interface yet.

It kind of sounds like you're having a sound processing is phase cancellation issue of somekind. Like, as if your headphone plug wasn't plugged in all the way or there was some kind of DSP mode turned on.

Your headphone work fine on other devices? Do you use an adapter? Does the adapter work fine on other hardware?
Ok I had these Logitech speakers and plugged them in and it sounds a lot better! Im guessing its the wire from my headphones. It seems like that is the problem. I did switch the wire a few days ago, I just didn't think of that. Thank you man

TheCoil

Post by TheCoil » Fri May 29, 2015 2:02 am

That's just how Live sounds vs. other DAWs, I think it's something to do with PDC 8)