just bought a echo indigo dj

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dpkni1

just bought a echo indigo dj

Post by dpkni1 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:08 am

hey all,

just thought id post some lovin' for the echo audio indigo dj pcmcia card. I had a Tascam US-122, but it was really getting on my nerves having to pack it up/unpack it all the time, not to mention that there was only one set of outs and it was big and bulky!

The indigo dj fits so nice and snugly into the cardbus slot, with only about an inch sticking out of the side of my laptop, and sounds wonderful....considerably better then my old usb audio interface (can anyone explain why this might be??....i really do get confused about the technical specifics sometimes!)

Obviously I lose out on inputs here (there are none..) but i found i was very rarely using them anyway....so if i ever need to i can just use a mates set-up then transfer the takes to my laptop.

And set-up.....an absolute breeze. Install the drivers, push it in, and it was all set to go. Now just bring on live5 for some fun bedroom mixing sessions with my mp3's. 8)

Anyway, just thought id post my review of this card, as i found it helpful to read what others wrote about it when making my decision. If i come across any bugs etc. over the next couple of weeks, ill be sure to post them in here to keep anyone's who's looking at one of these informed.

Dave
half a man walks with no shadow

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:35 am

i have the echo indigo I/O. awesome little cards.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:06 am

I have the IO and DJ, and wholeheartedly agree with you both!

galo

Post by galo » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:19 am

do both cards have 2 sets of rca outs?

i am currently using the audiophile firewire but its a extra piece of kit that needs lugged about, maybe a change is in order

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:23 am

No, they use 1/8inch headphone jacks.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:25 am

Are the Echo Indigo drivers working cool with Mac OS X Tiger?
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:51 am

I also use a Tascam US-122 and am thinking of changing to either firewire or pcmia card, with a preference for pcmia for portability and as far as I know really good latency.
But, does the Echo Indigo have a guitar level input like the Tascam unit, because that is absolutely essential for me?

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:47 pm

hi, you say the echo thing has no inputs? how would you record in? would you use the regular laptop mic in socket? is there any kind of conflict doing that? im thinking of getting one but i do a lot of recording in via a little mixer.

cheers

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:20 pm

The IO has one stereo in and one stereo out, the DJ has two stereo outs. All connections are 1/8" jacks, but Echo include adaptor cables that terminate in RCA plugs.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:56 pm

slatepipe wrote:hi, you say the echo thing has no inputs? how would you record in? would you use the regular laptop mic in socket? is there any kind of conflict doing that? im thinking of getting one but i do a lot of recording in via a little mixer.

cheers
There is the Indigo I/O card which is just like the dj but it replaces the 2nd output with an input.

You can't use the input from your laptop when you are using the echo card (at least on the pc, don't know about the mac) I personally would not want to anyway as there is too much machine noise on that line.

My dj card never leaves my laptop. I love it. I can throw down the laptop anywhere and hook in and I'm ready to go. It's great for improv sessions.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

rsagevik

Post by rsagevik » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:23 pm

I`ve been thinking on getting a Indigo I/O because of portability.
But without two outputs it cant be used for dj purposes..

What I wondered is.. does the Indigo I/O work good with the ASIO4ALL
driver? Have somebody tested that? Cause when running asio4all
you would be able to use your built in card for previewing, and the indigo
for output.
any thoughts?

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:25 pm

with TIGER on a Mac, you can use Aggregated Outputs (in Audio/Midi Setup) to use your internal built in sound for headphone monitoring and the Indigo I/O output to send to the desk..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:30 pm

I;ve used the ASIO4ALL driver to do what you want, works fine. Albeit at a higher latency than the Echo ASIO drivers of course.

hat

Post by hat » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:51 pm

rsagevik wrote:I`ve been thinking on getting a Indigo I/O because of portability.
But without two outputs it cant be used for dj purposes..
Some applications let you choose a different output to cue with while the Echo outs feed the house system, which is why I went with the I/O. I just cue with the Powerbook's headphone out. This way you get it all, the input and the two outs!

jasefos

Re: just bought a echo indigo dj

Post by jasefos » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:55 am

Totally agreed ... I have both Indigo I/O and D/J ...

There cards have been superb!

Installation was possibly the fastest I've experienced with any soundcard I've ever owned and nothing beats these cards at their price point for low latency performance, solid ASIO drivers and good sound quality.

I wish they'd release a "pro" version which is a shade lager but with the facilities of the I/O and D/J combined with all metal contruction and 1/4" stereo jacks sockets instead of 1/8" stereo minijack sockets.

Cheers
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS