Backpack For Gear?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hat On Hiatus

Backpack For Gear?

Post by Hat On Hiatus » Fri May 29, 2015 12:36 am

Hi folks!

I'm going to be on the move for a while, and I'll need to have my laptop and my travel gear as compact as possible. I'll have these items with me....

17" Inspiron laptop
Ableton Push (I do technically have a magma case for this)
Akai MPD32
Novation SL MkII 25 key model
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface
Sennheiser HD650 over eat headphones
And the necessary cables and cords required to turn all of this on, of course.

Price isn't really a factor since most quality gear bags/backpacks tend to hit $1-250 anyways. I'm looking for quality, and the most space I can to fit this stuff into it.

Any input is appreciated!!!!

pinkpaint

Re: Backpack For Gear?

Post by pinkpaint » Fri May 29, 2015 4:46 am

its expensive but it can certainly fit a lot:

Oakley Kitchen Sink... However not necessarily made for music production but does great for my transportation.

However, look into mono bags as they make bags for music producers.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Fri May 29, 2015 6:03 am

Just saying that much gear is gonna be heavy and the road is pretty unforgiving to knobs and such.

I've traveled with a similar set-up for a while minus the novation, and it sucked.......I broke my trigger finger and my motu ultralite's knob's, I had to use a pen or a pencil or whatever I could find just to turn it on.

I eventually opt'd to get a nano style midi controller (Korg nanoKontrol) and just used the lap top a NI Audio DJ 4 and was much happier. I keep the novation in storage at my parents and was glad I did.

Maybe look for something with wheels and save your back at least, safe travels.....

Kent_in_CO

Post by Kent_in_CO » Fri May 29, 2015 6:15 pm

I've been eyeing the Tom Binh Synapse 25: http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0111.html

Looks like it has a lot of room, and is built like the proverbial brick shithouse - plus optional padding for a laptop and lots of extra compartments to store cables, weed, and other detritus of being a musician.

Plus it doesn't scream "hey golly jee whiz everybody I'm a DJ" like some DJ-specific bags out there.
Hong Kong: 2050 A.D. You're about to inject a dose of mind-altering nanobots. This is the soundtrack to your trip. https://seven7hwave.bandcamp.com/album/cyberia