ARE USING LOOPS Acceptable among community

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
regretfullySaid

Re: ARE USING LOOPS Acceptable among community

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 pm

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:
EasyWorkflow wrote:Hello....what I am trying to get at is many folks who have been at this Ableton software for a number of years almost thinks if you don't design your own sounds, your music is not authentic. I get where they are coming from. But that would hold true for all the sample packs sold as well...correct? Also, I just purchased Stylus RMX made from Spectrasonics which is God's gift to people like me who can create my "own" loops quickly and use them as a starting point to get ideas down. Does anyone use a similar work flow. My main skill is being a professional guitarist who understand Ableton and was bless when the Fishman Triple Play MIDI pickup came out because that has leveled the playing field. I can create, bass lines, melodies, chords or anything I hear in my head and all I need is my guitar. That's why I want to partner up with someone in NY Westchester area and have some type of duo. Or has anyone seen what "The Funk Hunters" are doing combining Ableton with live musicians, That's what I want to do and have an Ableton guru doing his thing while I do mine. Hit me up with a PM in you live in this area.

Peace

BobbyD
This is a great topic, Bobby!

When I started out many years ago, the loop software Dance eJay was what introduced me to music, and I know lots of guys who had the same path. Prior to that, I had taken piano and guitar lessons, but they weren't interesting. Chords or songwriting were never even mentioned, and they only focused playing rehearsed single note sequences.

The point of making music is to have fun, and express yourself. Some people use loops to achieve that, and others get into Max for Live or other kinds of programming, and make their own instruments, effects and utilities. In both cases, if there is enjoyment, that's a perfect measure of success, I think.

Eventually, making your own sequences may become more fun, but there's no need to rush it. My first year with electronic music, I don't think I made any beats or melodies of my own, and I had such a good time. I recorded vocals with friends, and joked around, and they're still tremendously memorable tracks for us.

Also, chords, melodies and "feel" are way more important to me than whether you've made every sound from scratch. Great CGI can't cover up a lack of story, although it can certainly be art on its own.

Loops can also be very useful in many cases. My father is a music therapist, and if he needs to get a jam going or record something with people who see him, he shouldn't have to create his own sounds and loops. I think of loops as the digital equivalent of jamming with other musicians. It's fun, you're not doing all the work, and it can be tremendously inspiring.

Just check out Madeon's interactive website Adventure Machine: https://www.facebook.com/itsmadeon/phot ... 386351568/ - People are sharing their own "creations" in the comments! They're all aware that it's cheating and not "real music", but I know how cool it is to experience interactivity of this kind. I can very well imagine them asking around, and being introduced to Live or FL Studio, and then music theory, sound design, or even programming. Just the notion of themselves as creators is amazing.

To those mentioning all the shit music out there, who cares? Let it inspire you to create something better, or think about what you can learn from it ("that one sound was pretty cool") and appreciate the fact that it's giving enjoyment to the vast majority of people around you. If you really want to take revenge on "Anaconda" by my girl Nicki for example, make something really beautiful, and do some sneaky sampling/twisting of her track. *evil laughter*
+1
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Re: ARE USING LOOPS Acceptable among community

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:45 am

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:If you really want to take revenge on "Anaconda" by my girl Nicki for example, make something really beautiful, and do some sneaky sampling/twisting of her track. *evil laughter*
You know that that would be her *evil laughter* if you were dumb enough to sample her in your track, right?! ;-)