Air Display anyone? (iPad as 2nd monitor)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
filter_7

Air Display anyone? (iPad as 2nd monitor)

Post by filter_7 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:02 am

Hey I just found that app to use an iPad as 2nd monitor:
https://avatron.com/applications/air-display/

I'm wondering if is usable with Live and if there's some strange or impossible tasks to do with it.

If you have it let us know! Seems interesting...

ikeaboy

Re: Air Display anyone? (iPad as 2nd monitor)

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:31 am

I explored it and it's not half as useful as something like Touchable

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:06 am

...the version i had (that was roughly 2 years ago) was buggy, slow and also made my computer feel sluggish...in the end it was one of the first apps i deleted completely from my ipad...touchable is the way to go!...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Maybe could be useful for simple tasks like adjust volumes/pan and launching clips?

Touchable is complete but I had a lot of compatibility issues with windows and I obtained the refund of my purchase.

maze23a

Post by maze23a » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:33 pm

I think that this one is much better!

http://www.duetdisplay.com/

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:37 pm

You'd be be better off with a touchscreen computer. Only to discover that Live doesn't really have many advantages with touchscreen.

All the controls would be very small on your ipad. The volume controls, you'd only be able to control one at a time. And trying to launch clips even on a 17" screen is really really unfriendly (the play buttons on the actual clips are smaller than your finger).

Touchable or LK are the way to go for this. They are Made for touchscreen use. Or stick to using a mouse.

My touchable runs fine either wired or over wifi. Win 8.1, Live 9.1.(I always forget which Live version, not the latest, waiting on 9.2 :D )

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:58 pm

Music software developers just need to make their own touch screen controller apps. Logic and Omnisphere have their proprietary controller apps with dead simple setup. I think some other music software does as well. You can use the iPad/iPhone version of Traktor with NI’s hardware, although more like an external deck and not to control the desktop version of Traktor. I’m surprised Ableton hasn’t done this yet since they are so focused on performance, but then again, they did give us “just do it yourself” M4L.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:28 pm

If they made a touch mode in their software, they wouldn't necessarily need apps. Or, screen extensions could theoretically work better (well, except for the fact that screen extension apps still act frustratingly as simple mouse gestures when being used, and do not act in any way as an extension of touch parameters in the actual OS).

With Touchable being out, Ableton simply does not to make a control app. And if it not being available on android devices is an issue, LK is a very well thought out alternative.

So basically, the Live software is So inspiring that it is the first program that developers look to for controlling in new ways. And it is also exciting enough that new these apps quickly create a strong following.

Maybe Live 10 will have some cool shit to make all of this easier. I'd see it as a pretty expensive undertaking and a major upgrade.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Will be interesting to see, especially now that DAW like Studio One are fully touch friendly.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Tarekith wrote:Will be interesting to see, especially now that DAW like Studio One are fully touch friendly.
Checked their What's New out.
I Do kind of need another audio interface ... :P
Lots of Live-similar features and that scratchpad looks handy. Plus, their own app in the works haha

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Live and Studio One are the two DAWs I use the most these days. They each have a slightly different focus, but work amazing.

sashazane

Post by sashazane » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

filter_7 wrote:Hey I just found that app to use an iPad as 2nd monitor:
https://avatron.com/applications/air-display/

I'm wondering if is usable with Live and if there's some strange or impossible tasks to do with it.

If you have it let us know! Seems interesting...
I'm not sure if this matters but for a nice 2nd display that works without lag go for "duet" developed by some ex Apple engineers, I use it with touchable switching between for more options while
Arranging etc.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:19 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Will be interesting to see, especially now that DAW like Studio One are fully touch friendly.
Checked their What's New out.
I Do kind of need another audio interface ... :P
Lots of Live-similar features and that scratchpad looks handy. Plus, their own app in the works haha
The scratch pad is awesome, even for someone like me that uses Studio One to mix Live-arranged songs.

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:07 am

sashazane wrote: I'm not sure if this matters but for a nice 2nd display that works without lag go for "duet" developed by some ex Apple engineers, I use it with touchable switching between for more options while
Arranging etc.
Checked Duet and would be nice as 2nd display; could you confirm that it works with usb cable only?
This would be the only reason to choose Air Display instead (I'm on Win7 32).

sashazane

Post by sashazane » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:02 pm

filter_7 wrote:
sashazane wrote: I'm not sure if this matters but for a nice 2nd display that works without lag go for "duet" developed by some ex Apple engineers, I use it with touchable switching between for more options while
Arranging etc.
Checked Duet and would be nice as 2nd display; could you confirm that it works with usb cable only?
This would be the only reason to choose Air Display instead (I'm on Win7 32).
yes it's usb only. i've installed virtual wifi monitors in the past that were unusable due to the network connectivity (even in ad hoc mode)
this is a real second display using your ipad. im really impressed. no lag.