Help! Pack won't fully install...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Richie Witch
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by Richie Witch » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:28 am

WTH? Now that I have the Pack loaded and fully functional, most of my own recorded clips no longer play??!!

When I try to click on one of my own clips in the browser, I get "Sample Offline" and "Media File Missing". But when I right click on the clip and "Show in Explorer" all the clips are there? Using the usual auto-search and replace feature isn't doing anything to fix this!! I have hundreds of clips and loops that I've recorded myself, and now I can't access them....

Anybody have any idea what's going on? 8O

Edit: A bit more information. wav files are not effected. alc are mostly unplayable, although therre are random clips, maybe 1 in 20 that still play, even if they comprise a group that was recorded in the same session, one will still play and the rest won't. Using the auto-search and replace feature is working on maybe 1 in 10.

This is driving me crazy!! I have a ton of personal work tied up!! :twisted:
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

mrgrim3
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:04 am

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by mrgrim3 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:55 am

tbh I don't install these packs legacy live 8 and partner instruments

i have suite and barely use some of the packs

Richie Witch
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by Richie Witch » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:39 pm

Tried reinstalling Live, and moving the User Library and re-indexing. Nothing's worked so far. Guess it's time to contact Support. :(
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by H20nly » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:28 am

Richie Witch wrote:Tried reinstalling Live, and moving the User Library and re-indexing. Nothing's worked so far. Guess it's time to contact Support. :(
what happens when you search for the missing clips/files in the set directory?

Richie Witch
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by Richie Witch » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:03 am

H20nly wrote:
Richie Witch wrote:Tried reinstalling Live, and moving the User Library and re-indexing. Nothing's worked so far. Guess it's time to contact Support. :(
what happens when you search for the missing clips/files in the set directory?
"0 candidates found". It's like the files no longer exist, even though I can still see them in the Explorer window. All the directories and files are still there. I imagine either the browser index database has been corrupted or something in the FAT table has. But no idea how to fix either one.

So bizarre that re-indexing the browser to install a legacy pack would completely cripple most of the alc files in my User Library.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by H20nly » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:42 pm

There's a way to reset the browser to force it to rebuild. If I were you, that's what I'd try.

Richie Witch
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by Richie Witch » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 pm

H20nly wrote:There's a way to reset the browser to force it to rebuild. If I were you, that's what I'd try.
Finally located the browser database file to force the browser to rebuild. Took just over 30 minutes, and a small handful of files were restored, but most of it is still "off line". /sigh
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:36 am

Richie Witch wrote:
H20nly wrote:There's a way to reset the browser to force it to rebuild. If I were you, that's what I'd try.
Finally located the browser database file to force the browser to rebuild. Took just over 30 minutes, and a small handful of files were restored, but most of it is still "off line". /sigh
you mentioned on the previous page that you used the file name/location tweak and moved your library around, any chance you that you entered the path back in incorrectly when you set it back?

:idea: maybe one directory too deep?

Richie Witch
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:19 pm

H20nly wrote:
Richie Witch wrote:
H20nly wrote:There's a way to reset the browser to force it to rebuild. If I were you, that's what I'd try.
Finally located the browser database file to force the browser to rebuild. Took just over 30 minutes, and a small handful of files were restored, but most of it is still "off line". /sigh
you mentioned on the previous page that you used the file name/location tweak and moved your library around, any chance you that you entered the path back in incorrectly when you set it back?

:idea: maybe one directory too deep?
I really appreciate your suggestions, but yeah--I moved the user library to a folder in the root directory of my C: drive, to make the path really short. And it gave the same result. When I put it back, I returned it to the same directory it had always been in. The only directory structure I changed was for my Packs folder, and that works perfectly now.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:06 am

:x

sorry brother. contact support yet? it sounds buggish.

Richie Witch
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:57 am

Thanks for trying! :)

I sent an email to support over the weekend. Hopefully I'll hear something soon. For now, I'm bouncing all my jam session recordings as stems in wav format. For some reason, wav files were not affected. A bit more trouble, but certainly worth the peace of mind.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

sonik777
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:53 am
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by sonik777 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Best of luck man.

The powers that be should really update that pack...

Post Reply