Help! Pack won't fully install...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mereridhaf

Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by mereridhaf » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi, have tried searching for an answer to this everywhere with no luck - can anyone help?

I'm trying to install Partner Instruments Compilation pack onto Live 9 Intro but it won't fully install due to being unable to change the filename of one file, which then cancels the whole process. I have full admin permissions on my PC and am installing all packs into a central C: directory (not My Documents)

This is the pack I want to install: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/partne ... _type=free particularly as it has acoustic piano - so if there's any other alternatives I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

mereridhaf

Re: Help! Pack won't fully install...

Post by mereridhaf » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Update: this is the error message I get https://www.dropbox.com/s/6prgp1qptd6uv ... d.jpg?dl=0 :x

MaggieL

Post by MaggieL » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Same problem here: Windows 8.1 and Live 9 intro

MaggieL

Post by MaggieL » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:05 pm

Looks like it's hitting a filename length limit.

LooFoX

Post by LooFoX » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:56 pm

I have exactly the same problem on Live 9 Standard and Windows 7.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

DukeOfPrunes

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:08 pm

Same problem here! Sucks 'cuz it seems to be a good pack. I wonder if other peeps are encountering the same issue?

Still recovering from the shock of seeing Push 2 emerging only 3 months I bought Push...Man, I got me some serious GAS now! Not sure how I will stop the shakes.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:24 pm

MaggieL wrote:Looks like it's hitting a filename length limit.
yep.

you might be able to get around it by making a fake library at C:\

call it something short like "AL" - C:\AL
hopefully this will shorten the path enough to allow the install.

...then point your live library to that location in Preferences. install the pack, then manually move it over to your actual library and change Preferences back in Live.

before you move the file to your real library, maybe remove the word "compilation" from all the folder names. this will help make sure that the path isn't too long for other purposes like backups and such.

unfortunately, you will probably have to wait for the browser to re-index after doing this.

hth

DukeOfPrunes

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:41 am

H20nly wrote:
yep.

...then point your live library to that location in Preferences. install the pack, then manually move it over to your actual library and change Preferences back in Live.

before you move the file to your real library, maybe remove the word "compilation" from all the folder names. this will help make sure that the path isn't too long for other purposes like backups and such.

unfortunately, you will probably have to wait for the browser to re-index after doing this.

hth
Well well, aren't you the clever one! Brilliant idea. I'm so wrapped-up in the box that I can't see the forest from the trees!

Thanks for the good tip!

Jean.

UnderwaterSunlight

Post by UnderwaterSunlight » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:40 am

Yep, same situation here.
See my signature.
Apple MacBook Air M2 (2022), 24 GB RAM, 1TB internal SSD, MacOS 12 Monterey (up-to-date), Ableton 11 Standard (up-to-date), NI Komplete 14, Steinberg UR22 mkII

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:31 pm

DukeOfPrunes wrote:
H20nly wrote:
yep.

hth
Well well, aren't you the clever one! Brilliant idea. I'm so wrapped-up in the box that I can't see the forest from the trees!

Thanks for the good tip!

Jean.
did it work??

DukeOfPrunes

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Yes Sir. Quite clever, you are! Thanks again!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:15 am

the stoopid filename limit is one of the most annoying legacy Windows limitations...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:59 am

fishmonkey wrote:the stoopid filename limit is one of the most annoying legacy Windows limitations...
It really is, but in all fairness... the one from the pack was ridiculously looooooong. fixing it means it won't get lost in a backup. nothing worse than trying to restore a backup only to find that the file name was truncated and the file no longer can be found/reassembled.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:14 am

it is uncommonly long, however i run into this problem regularly working between OS X and Windows...

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:11 pm

H20nly wrote:you might be able to get around it by making a fake library at C:\

hth
Just tried this and it works perfectly! Thanks for this tip!! True enough, re-indexing takes a *very* long time (about 20 minutes for my library, even with high-speed SATA drives.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute