Apogee Duet Change sample rate during live set

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BlackLotusLuke

Apogee Duet Change sample rate during live set

Post by BlackLotusLuke » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:36 am

hey guys. during a dj set my duet seemed to have the sound quality deteriorate to the sound of a game boy. i think the power then died. its a usb powered duet. when i looked at the project sample rate it was 256, and im pretty sure it was on 512 originally. does anybody know how this could happen or if its the usb?

thanks!

H20nly

Re: Apogee Duet Change sample rate during live set

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:06 am

256 vs. 512 is a difference in buffer size, not sample rate. Your sample rate would be something like 44.1 kHz, for example.

If your buffer is set too low you'll get pops crackles and drop outs. I'm not sure how it would have changed on you, but if you change the settings on the interface and then open a set (I think) the set would use the setting from the interface... not in a position to test that now. it's not the USB.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:01 am

I used to have something similar happen with my Traktor Audio 6 interface when it was run only on USB power. Sometimes the audio quality would slowly degrade like you were applying a bit rate reduction to the output, eventually it would just turn into pure noise and shut off. Using the optional power supply for it solved this instantly though. Just an idea, if the Apogee came with a power cable.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

BlackLotusLuke

Post by BlackLotusLuke » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:36 pm

H20nly wrote:256 vs. 512 is a difference in buffer size, not sample rate. Your sample rate would be something like 44.1 kHz, for example.

If your buffer is set too low you'll get pops crackles and drop outs. I'm not sure how it would have changed on you, but if you change the settings on the interface and then open a set (I think) the set would use the setting from the interface... not in a position to test that now. it's not the USB.
shit youre right haha sorry. i meant my buffer was 512 originally from what i can remember. and my project was 44.1.

BlackLotusLuke

Post by BlackLotusLuke » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Tarekith wrote:I used to have something similar happen with my Traktor Audio 6 interface when it was run only on USB power. Sometimes the audio quality would slowly degrade like you were applying a bit rate reduction to the output, eventually it would just turn into pure noise and shut off. Using the optional power supply for it solved this instantly though. Just an idea, if the Apogee came with a power cable.
see i thought it might be power as well, but apogee themselves say they recommend not using the power cable UNLESS you are tracking in audio in a project that is quite CPU intensive. and this was quite a simple dj set with no audio coming in. only out

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:41 pm

Well, I may have been right about that, but more importantly I may have been wrong about the USB thing based on Tarekith's reply... Is that what's happening? Did your Apogee unit come with a power cable? - mine did... Worth a shot.

BlackLotusLuke

Post by BlackLotusLuke » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:18 pm

H20nly wrote:Well, I may have been right about that, but more importantly I may have been wrong about the USB thing based on Tarekith's reply... Is that what's happening? Did your Apogee unit come with a power cable? - mine did... Worth a shot.
its actually my friends. ill ask him. sucks that its not mine cos its such a hassle to send them an email because i dont have all the payment details

so is that possible with the usb? shit. i have no idea which one of my cables it was also... haha

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:06 pm

Try it on a different port. If you're using it with a hub, make sure the hub has its own power supply... if it doesn't and you're sharing the USB hub with other devices, then that's your issue right there.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:53 am

Just saw this and thought it might be relevant, I had no idea the power cores gauge was on the cable:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/su ... re-device/
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

BlackLotusLuke

Post by BlackLotusLuke » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:14 pm

H20nly wrote:Try it on a different port. If you're using it with a hub, make sure the hub has its own power supply... if it doesn't and you're sharing the USB hub with other devices, then that's your issue right there.
ok ill try that. but no hub. was straight into the mac

BlackLotusLuke

Post by BlackLotusLuke » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Tarekith wrote:Just saw this and thought it might be relevant, I had no idea the power cores gauge was on the cable:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/su ... re-device/
thank you dude. i will def check this out!