Live 9 is slooooooooow.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
phaded

Re: Live 9 is slooooooooow.

Post by phaded » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:19 pm

stringtapper wrote:Edit: Gregory Taylor from Cycling 74 is fond of using it. I got it from him.
I'm sure Mr. Taylor would tell you that your usage lacked context, thus your 'mixed metaphor' just sounded 'mixed up'.

Name-dropping doesn't fix that either. Now go sit in a corner and think about what you did. :lol:

C.E.O. of The Zero-Fucks Commission

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:34 pm

phaded wrote:
stringtapper wrote:Edit: Gregory Taylor from Cycling 74 is fond of using it. I got it from him.
I'm sure Mr. Taylor would tell you that your usage lacked context, thus your 'mixed metaphor' just sounded 'mixed up'.

Name-dropping doesn't fix that either. Now go sit in a corner and think about what you did. :lol:
Wow, do I really have to spell this out for you?

Ok here goes…

The context is that it is such a simple concept to grasp that one shouldn't be rude and uncivil on a forum that one might as well combine "rocket science" and "brain surgery" into one fictional "über-task" in order to provide maximum contrast when using the "it's not _______" idiom.

Sheesh. Again, not rocket surgery.

8O
Unsound Designer

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:43 pm

Well I would imagine that surgery on a rocket is a pretty difficult thing to do :mrgreen:

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:44 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Well I would imagine that surgery on a rocket is a pretty difficult thing to do :mrgreen:
:P
Unsound Designer

phaded

Post by phaded » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:45 pm

Look bro, you're over here talkin bout mixed metaphors, but THIS is literally a literal alliteration.

I mean we over here talkin' bout practice, man.

Well, that, and Ableton being slow and unstable as a modern DAW in comparison to the current competition.

Sorry, did you have something of substance to contribute, stringtapper? Or are you just going to get flustered again and start posting pics of chips-and-salsa that I wouldn't even feed to my pet?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:47 pm

phaded wrote:Or are you just going to get flustered again and start posting pics of chips-and-salsa that I wouldn't even feed to my pet?
Flustered? I shut your rude ass down with the circus routine in that thread, friend. Make no mistake.

Nah, Live 9 runs fine for me.

*cue lame recurring self quote from phaded*
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:51 pm

I do hope you guys figure out what's going on with your systems to fix all the problems though.

Just don't be rude when talking about it, that's all. The ones who never relent on the rudeness almost invariably get banned.
Unsound Designer

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:51 pm

If it's any consolation to you guys, you are pretty equally rude ;-)

Could this thread please return to be about the slowness of huge Live sets (That have no M4L devices in them)?!

I kinda have a personal interest in this ;-)

phaded

Post by phaded » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:53 pm

Oh yea, you sure shut me down, slugger.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:53 pm

TomViolenz wrote:If it's any consolation to you guys, you are pretty equally rude ;-)

Could this thread please return to be about the slowness of huge Live sets (That have no M4L devices in them)?!

I kinda have a personal interest in this ;-)
It's not.

So what exact problems are you having Tom?
Unsound Designer

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:03 pm

The spinning beach ball almost on anything involving changing track focus, routings, adding devices or removing them and what's the worst adding control surfaces/midi controllers.
I have 5 of them in my performance set up and getting my set up ready takes in total at the least 30 minutes from start up. If I'm unlucky and Live crashes (which does happen rather regularly) getting it back to a playable state takes the same time. This makes me scared of ever playing with that set up live. :(

My set is HUGE since I try to have a Techno live creation set up that sounds almost as complete as written tracks would (no audio clips involved all MIDI!)
And now that I build it (just took me about a year and a half!) its an unstable mess...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:10 pm

How many tracks, Live devices, and 3rd part plugins do you have going?

Sounds crazy to have no audio to load at all and having load times like that. What about Sampler or Kontakt? Using big libraries or anything?

Have you tried saving the set with every device disabled? How about isolated I got control surfaces or any other hardware to see if you can find a culprit?
Unsound Designer

rtcardinal

Post by rtcardinal » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:43 pm

+1
Yep.
Same session. Saved in Live 8. Running in Live 8, and I'm able add, remove and move tracks quickly. Even with heavy plugins running (Omnisphere in a rack is always a tough one for this), is quite a bit faster and snappier than the latest stable of live 9.1 and the latest beta. More so on the Mac side (running boot camp on laptop, and dual boot hackintosh on a tower).
Hopefully they'll be able to get things running snappier. I've been doing some alternative work (dialog processing) in Studio One 3, with huge FX chains, and literally thousands of audio files (for a game), and tracks drag and drop at the speed at which I do it. No hitching, no beach balls, very fast and transparent overall operation.

But yeah. Even in a blank session, if I drag a basic rack in to a track with basic native effects, there is hitching and pausing.
Both on a new 15 inch rMBP and on a OC'd 4.8ghz 6 core 3930k. Absolutely every other piece of software I use completely screams on both of these machines. Live does a good job the audio part, but the interface behaviour and navigation has just gotten so bad, even in modest conditions.

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:57 pm

Don't see it mentioned anywhere, but are you on 64bit version ?
Since using 64 bit, about 1 year ago, things got really much better and faster for me.
And the new beta runs very smooth here, even on the biggest projects.
I think Live is finally going in the right direction for me.
Got 16 gb of RAM though....could be it.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:30 pm

rtcardinal wrote:+1
Yep.
Same session. Saved in Live 8. Running in Live 8, and I'm able add, remove and move tracks quickly. Even with heavy plugins running (Omnisphere in a rack is always a tough one for this), is quite a bit faster and snappier than the latest stable of live 9.1 and the latest beta. More so on the Mac side (running boot camp on laptop, and dual boot hackintosh on a tower).
Hopefully they'll be able to get things running snappier. I've been doing some alternative work (dialog processing) in Studio One 3, with huge FX chains, and literally thousands of audio files (for a game), and tracks drag and drop at the speed at which I do it. No hitching, no beach balls, very fast and transparent overall operation.

But yeah. Even in a blank session, if I drag a basic rack in to a track with basic native effects, there is hitching and pausing.
Both on a new 15 inch rMBP and on a OC'd 4.8ghz 6 core 3930k. Absolutely every other piece of software I use completely screams on both of these machines. Live does a good job the audio part, but the interface behaviour and navigation has just gotten so bad, even in modest conditions.
I started a thread a few posts down as i was getting a freeze ups and a spinning blue disc on a windows system (so of course could be unrelated) with lots of crashes and instability. The slow downs seemed to be due to missing samples, stopped when i replaced them so has this slowing down got something to do with the way Live is accessing audio audio in projects?

Anyway i submitted a status report to Ableton and they were able to identify some of the causes of Live crashing which were max and script related, i also trashed the prefs, default template and undo.cfg and things are a lot more stable now so i think it's well worth submitting a status report or have you already done that?