Live 9 is slooooooooow.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mlclmdxxx

Re: Live 9 is slooooooooow.

Post by mlclmdxxx » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:05 pm

If Ableton is so bad, why not just use another DAW?

phaded

Post by phaded » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:36 pm

mlclmdxxx wrote:If Ableton is so bad, why not just use another DAW?
The essence of this forum in one soundbite. :lol:

C.E.O. of The Zero-Fucks Commission

mlclmdxxx

Post by mlclmdxxx » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:43 pm

phaded wrote:
mlclmdxxx wrote:If Ableton is so bad, why not just use another DAW?
The essence of this forum in one soundbite. :lol:
Yeah, I pretty much got the essence, which is why I said it. What a bunch of numptys.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:06 pm

phaded wrote:In other words, sweep it under the rug :lol:
Yeah, if we keep talking about it in detail, maybe we can get this thread locked by admin, too :evil:

As for my (locked) thread, they did e-mail back and forth with me one-on-one, and I sent them a status report. They basically told me to clear disk permissions (in OSX) and to reset the Live database, which was clearly corrupted. They also sent me a list of all the 3rd part plugins causing crashes in Live. The library stuff has been ok so far, so that's great, but I also haven't had any time to use Live this past week (other work in the way); I'm hoping to get back into soon and see if the browser issues return or not (or just how quickly they return, as it seems like the library database gets corrupted through use). Anyway, no fixes / ideas on the slow load times other than them noting that my sessions are huge (many gigs worth after I start freezing instruments).

The support staff was helpful and seemed genuinely interested in looking into my complaints and finding solutions, which is great; however, that doesn't mean all of my complaints were resolvable (they weren't) and it certainly doesn't explain why Ableton thinks it's good form to lock threads where people are discussing real problems with the software.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:32 pm

mholloway wrote:
Yeah, if we keep talking about it in detail, maybe we can get this thread locked by admin, too :evil:

As for my (locked) thread, they did e-mail back and forth with me one-on-one, and I sent them a status report. They basically told me to clear disk permissions (in OSX) and to reset the Live database, which was clearly corrupted. They also sent me a list of all the 3rd part plugins causing crashes in Live. The library stuff has been ok so far, so that's great, but I also haven't had any time to use Live this past week (other work in the way); I'm hoping to get back into soon and see if the browser issues return or not (or just how quickly they return, as it seems like the library database gets corrupted through use). Anyway, no fixes / ideas on the slow load times other than them noting that my sessions are huge (many gigs worth after I start freezing instruments).

The support staff was helpful and seemed genuinely interested in looking into my complaints and finding solutions, which is great; however, that doesn't mean all of my complaints were resolvable (they weren't) and it certainly doesn't explain why Ableton thinks it's good form to lock threads where people are discussing real problems with the software.

-M
Let's get this straight. They locked your thread because your friend phaded there was being rude and uncivil to other posters. Not because they want to sweep your tech problems under the rug.

Ok technically it got locked because I forced their hand using the tried and true tactic of chips 'n' salsa, but I did that because he was being a dick. :mrgreen:

Clear?
Unsound Designer

phaded

Post by phaded » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:50 pm

stringtapper wrote:Ok technically it got locked because I forced their hand using the tried and true tactic of chips 'n' salsa, but I did that because he was being a dick. :mrgreen:

Clear?
Why are you calling me names right now? 8)

Yes, congrats, you displayed great skill in petulant-child tactics of getting the forum thread locked, but if you had paid attention in the first place, you would have noted that my being a 'dick' had a pretty laser-tight focus on where it was being directed 8)

Beyond that, there was validity to what I was stating in that thread that got lost because of people like you. I came back and laid out my case, and have yet to hear anything back from the ArmChair TechSupp / Ableton Apologist family. Crickets.

Did you actually have something constructive to offer? If not, who's the dick?

phaded

Post by phaded » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:03 pm

mlclmdxxx wrote:Yeah, I pretty much got the essence, which is why I said it. What a bunch of numptys.
Ah well played, sir.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:06 pm

Jumping to conclusions here, huh?!

What he said was: Don't forget to send the reports to Ableton to so they can try to solve the issues. He further said: Try installing 9.1.9 maybe it will help.

With no word did he say: Shut up or we will lock this thread. So please stay civil!!!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:09 pm

phaded wrote:
stringtapper wrote:Ok technically it got locked because I forced their hand using the tried and true tactic of chips 'n' salsa, but I did that because he was being a dick. :mrgreen:

Clear?
Why are you calling me names right now? 8)

Yes, congrats, you displayed great skill in petulant-child tactics of getting the forum thread locked, but if you had paid attention in the first place, you would have noted that my being a 'dick' had a pretty laser-tight focus on where it was being directed 8)

Beyond that, there was validity to what I was stating in that thread that got lost because of people like you. I came back and laid out my case, and have yet to hear anything back from the ArmChair TechSupp / Ableton Apologist family. Crickets.

Did you actually have something constructive to offer? If not, who's the dick?
It doesn't matter who it was aimed at and how "laser-focused" it is. If you're being rude then you're being a dick.

I used the term "dick" here to describe how you were being in that other thread, not how you're being in this thread (although you're getting close :lol: ).

Being a dick doesn't have to do with whether one is offering something constructive. It's about civility. And you lacked it in that other thread and that's why it got closed.

This isn't rocket surgery. Children on the playground have already learned these things.
Unsound Designer

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:12 pm

mholloway wrote:

-M
Thanks for your report, please keep us posted.

It's really too bad about the slowness on huge sets. This is exactly my situation too and I'm suffering from the same slowness on everything. I think they really need to solve this, since a program for professionals really should't be the bottle neck when the computer power itself isn't. (40% CPU usage with plenty of RAM and SSD i/o to spare)

phaded

Post by phaded » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:14 pm

[mda] wrote: Anyone getting slow performance issues, please consider installing the latest 9.1.9 update.
Like, I could roll with this, but why can't it be stated clearly WHY this is going to potentially be a fix, and for WHAT? The release notes only say:
Added control surface support for Novation Launchkey MK2
As a long-time Ableton user, I know well enough that a new release can potentially introduce bugs, not just fix them. There is zero in the above release notes that would lead one to think there are any stability improvements in 9.1.9 vs 9.1.8.

I'll say it again- this whole 'nothing to see here' approach is off-putting, and overall not a good look.
Last edited by phaded on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:16 pm

String and phased please stop, you are doing it again.
We don't care who of you is the bigger dick, so no need to prove it to us.

What we do care about is discussing Lives slowness. Something you put in danger of being subject to a thread lock again, because of your behavior.

phaded

Post by phaded » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:16 pm

stringtapper wrote:This isn't rocket surgery.
What you are looking for is 'rocket science'

Troll harder, my friend

phaded

Post by phaded » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:27 pm

TomViolenz wrote:String and phased please stop, you are doing it again.

Look, man. I've actually offered something of substance to all this. I'm actually doing quite well after this, ICYMI:

Forum Post: I <3 MxDCore and Sigabort's Livelink patch

I'm still pretty irritated that a 3rd party patching is the fix, but in the least I came back and offered as much relevant info as I could in order to help others out in the same boat. I'm not going to rattle off names, but the chaps in these threads saying 'well Ableton works fine for me, so its bug free', they tend to have quite the bullhorn.

And to that, hell yes I'll stand my ground, its a damn shame that others with issues get drowned out in the chorus of unhelpful voices. Or worse, that Ableton isn't forthcoming about bug issues so that there is less of this in the forums. Nuff said.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

phaded wrote:
stringtapper wrote:This isn't rocket surgery.
What you are looking for is 'rocket science'

Troll harder, my friend
It's called a play on words or mixing metaphors. That means it was intentional.

:roll:

Edit: Gregory Taylor from Cycling 74 is fond of using it. I got it from him.
Unsound Designer