anyone got a softstep 2?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slatepipe

anyone got a softstep 2?

Post by slatepipe » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:30 am

i been thinking of getting one recently. currently i use the fcb 1010 with a mfl patch that makes it work great but it looks like the softstep 2 has a shedload more stuff you can do with it. x-y, pressure, aftertouch etc. and it's a lot lighter as well

anyone else here have one? if so what's your experience? how do you use it? any negatives?

cheers

Kent_in_CO

Re: anyone got a softstep 2?

Post by Kent_in_CO » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:27 pm

Bump!

I also have an FCB and am considering a Sofstep 2. From what I've read it's much improved; the buttons are more user-friendly (i.e. easier to tap the one you want without inadvertent taps on other buttons), and the original nightmare of an editor has been improved - although there's still a learning curve.
Hong Kong: 2050 A.D. You're about to inject a dose of mind-altering nanobots. This is the soundtrack to your trip. https://seven7hwave.bandcamp.com/album/cyberia

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:13 am

Double bump.

Someone did indicate on here that it was a good unit. But interestingly it is VERY hard to find any serious detailed reviews of it online - like "whoa! this thing is a game changer, check this out etc". The FCB is clunky as hell and weighs a ton - but I like the expression pedals while finding the footswitches randomnly unreliable, er is it on, off WTF?

Kent_in_CO

Post by Kent_in_CO » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:24 am

I know, right? Dammit why can't Roland just update the FCB with modern materials? It would sell like hotcakes.
Hong Kong: 2050 A.D. You're about to inject a dose of mind-altering nanobots. This is the soundtrack to your trip. https://seven7hwave.bandcamp.com/album/cyberia

novotnik

Post by novotnik » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:54 am

i just replaced my old softstep1 with the softstep2 and it really feels much better. the new shape of the pads and the fact that the second line of the pads is elevated make it much easier to "hit" the right one. also the problem with high-pitched noise sounds from the backlighting of the pads that the version 1 had is now gone. the editor is a littlebit easier to handle, but still it needs some learning and thinking, but that is because it is really a deep level of midi programming possibilities. and the weight, size and build quality is really great...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:18 am

novotnik wrote:i just replaced my old softstep1 with the softstep2 and it really feels much better. the new shape of the pads and the fact that the second line of the pads is elevated make it much easier to "hit" the right one. also the problem with high-pitched noise sounds from the backlighting of the pads that the version 1 had is now gone. the editor is a littlebit easier to handle, but still it needs some learning and thinking, but that is because it is really a deep level of midi programming possibilities. and the weight, size and build quality is really great...
thanks !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:38 pm

Thanks novotnik, could you indicate how easy it is to use the cc controls on the pedals, seeing as they are quite small? I wonder if they are very different to a simple footpedal for incrementing data.

novotnik

Post by novotnik » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:41 am

hi chris, to be honest i did not not use this x-y tilt functionality until now, just the simple switch on and off thing. i think it works basically quite good from the sensors, because i also use the quneo, and there the x-y sensibility of the pads is really a great feature and i use it a lot.
i think the problem with softstep would be more about how sensitive and detailed can you twist and move your foot on top of the pad...

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:40 am

hey cheers :)

yeah i use the quneo as well and the x-y and pressure stuff is great to use. so the softstep 2 is pretty appealing for this, i guess i just need to figure out what i'd actually want to do with it apart from navigating and recording clips.

is the big switch on the rhs ideal for doing your session navigating then ?

if i can reduce the weight of what i travel with it'd be a bonus