The nine point two thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: The nine point two thread

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm

As with all software I'd advise users to complete any urgent projects on the system they started them on.

EG: in this case if you started an album in L9.1x then you ought to complete that project under that version. By all means install the new software in parallel, but you don't want to be discovering that a new and improved feature has in some way changed the sound of something on you. For example : the latency calculations getting fixed, if you have been offsetting automation, well now that it's fixed you'd have over-corrected in your old file.

So, my advice would be for any important projects with deadlines - complete them in the version you started in.
For your new projects and stuff that has no deadline - work in 9.2

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:33 pm

stevemac wrote:
re:dream wrote:Replace.

But I did not get that message. It just installed , quick as a snake.
Thanks dude, but if the one in the location has a 'newer name', would that suggest it's already there!?
The name is the same. At least in OSX. Ableton Live 9 Standard.app.

It is odd. On my Mac Mini, I was not asked whether I wanted to replace the existing version. On my MBP, I was.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:47 am

Angstrom wrote:As with all software I'd advise users to complete any urgent projects on the system they started them on.

EG: in this case if you started an album in L9.1x then you ought to complete that project under that version. By all means install the new software in parallel, but you don't want to be discovering that a new and improved feature has in some way changed the sound of something on you. For example : the latency calculations getting fixed, if you have been offsetting automation, well now that it's fixed you'd have over-corrected in your old file.

So, my advice would be for any important projects with deadlines - complete them in the version you started in.
For your new projects and stuff that has no deadline - work in 9.2
Yes. It seems to me that 9.2 sounds brighter, but also, parts of my songs now sound wrong, probably because of the PDC fix. Part of my struggling for so long with these songs was probably because of the PDC problem, but I didn't realise it. Now I don't know if I should work on those songs in 9.2 to make them "correct" or stick to 9.17 where they were close enough to what I wanted. I had a similar problem where a compressor was defaulted to the master track either by me or by Ableton many versions ago. After coming back to those projects, I knew there was a problem, but couldn't figure it out until I clicked on the master track. :oops:

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:51 pm

i hate this!

why the fuck they don`t safe their soundengine-changes within the the projects ?

it must be safe to open older projects with actual version without mistuning
and loudness-variation timingissues ect....

Everytime they make it "better", the sound we´ve created sound more worse then it does
on it own without 9.anything-upgrade.

From a Pro-Software we users invested one ounce of gold over the time, we can expect
better for our very creativ work we do.

If somebody come and say: Hey, lets play the track from 3 Years ago we had so much fun with
on that party, i have to reply.. UH...Ähh.. that was Live 7.7beta5 and because my hardware changed
and i`ve upgraded to Live 9.2 i am not able to load the set containing this track... so thats not pro
and i do not see a way ableton is making it easy for us users with that theme.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:58 pm

:|

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:29 am

Tagor wrote:...
If somebody come and say: Hey, lets play the track from 3 Years ago we had so much fun with
on that party, i have to reply.. UH...Ähh.. that was Live 7.7beta5 and because my hardware changed and i`ve upgraded to Live 9.2 i am not able to load the set containing this track... so thats not pro and i do not see a way ableton is making it easy for us users with that theme.

I totally agree, and that's the why of my 'is it backward compatible?' question.
I think it's a serious problem.
This morning I was listening to some Frank Zappa's interviews in which he says he used to rearrange and modify constantly all his old material.

With those compatibility problems in Live this wouldn't have been possible, with the exeption of maintaining every software version per song, or to not upgrade anymore (!).

To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question.
As Shakespeare said.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:38 am

Okay, I copied all my projects to a new Projects folder - Ableton 920 Projects. Then I felt free to work on a few projects to see if it was worth the effort. Well, it was worth the effort. Much of the problem was that I had become used to hearing the songs without proper PDC. So just listening to the songs a few times got me over that. Then the fixes were fairly easy. Now I have crisper recordings. :P

Yes, it uses more processing power. And the start of clips sometimes click. But it's worth it, for me. Might have to freeze a few extra tracks to get processing power back. Of course, I've only tried it for 24 hours, so I might change my mind back if there are other problems.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:21 am

One of the smallest things in 9.2 is the most useful for me: hover over the track devices and it shows the latency of the item.
Of course the PDC is now aligning everything a lot better for playback, but I "play through" a lot, meaning I am playing softsynths with my fingers. So if I drop an old effect rack after the instrument I unavoidably tend to incur played latency but ... now I have a nice readout to alert me where the problem effect is, and I can modify the rack to (for example) get rid of look aheads in compressors.

Tl;dr in live 9.2 I play keyboards better. ;-)

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 am

Actually. I've noticed that my cpu seems to be running way higher since the update. Anyone else having this issue?

rydan

Post by rydan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Tagor wrote:If somebody come and say: Hey, lets play the track from 3 Years ago we had so much fun with
on that party, i have to reply.. UH...Ähh.. that was Live 7.7beta5 and because my hardware changed
and i`ve upgraded to Live 9.2 i am not able to load the set containing this track... so thats not pro
and i do not see a way ableton is making it easy for us users with that theme.
Well. The pro thing to do is to finish each project using a single version of all software used in the project, and then export all tracks/stems as audio. There is no way in hell you're going to be sure that no changes in DAW or changes to any plugin used will not change how your project sounds. If you wanted that, then Reason was your only option, but I guess with the inclusion of RE:s (and ReFills) then that won't do either. So. Well. Good luck with that...
Live + M4L, MacBookPro & Ultralite mk3. Plugins from Softube, Soundtoys, Eventide, 2CAudio, Cytomic, AudioDamage, OhmForce, FabFilter, SonicCharge, Waves, MadronaLabs, NI and ExpertSleepers. Oh, and a bunch of hardware... =D

http://www.pinknoise.se

rydan

Post by rydan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:12 pm

filter_7 wrote: This morning I was listening to some Frank Zappa's interviews in which he says he used to rearrange and modify constantly all his old material.
That's likely since he has the material as raw audio, or quite possibly, on tape...
Live + M4L, MacBookPro & Ultralite mk3. Plugins from Softube, Soundtoys, Eventide, 2CAudio, Cytomic, AudioDamage, OhmForce, FabFilter, SonicCharge, Waves, MadronaLabs, NI and ExpertSleepers. Oh, and a bunch of hardware... =D

http://www.pinknoise.se

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:32 pm

filter_7 wrote:
Tagor wrote:...
on that party, i have to reply.. UH...Ähh.. that was Live 7.7beta5 and because my hardware changed and i`ve upgraded to Live 9.2 i am not able to load the set containing this track... so thats not pro and i do not see a way ableton is making it easy for us users with that theme.

I totally agree, and that's the why of my 'is it backward compatible?' question.
I think it's a serious problem.
This morning I was listening to some Frank Zappa's interviews in which he says he used to rearrange and modify constantly all his old material.

With those compatibility problems in Live this wouldn't have been possible, with the exeption of maintaining every software version per song, or to not upgrade anymore (!).

To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question.
As Shakespeare said.
that's not correct.
You can open a Live version 2 project perfectly fine in Live9.2. Sure the new version might sound BETTER. But is that really a problem - that the PDC now works right, that the automation is now in sync?

When Zappa put his old tapes recorded in 1972 onto his new multitrack in 1982, do you think they sounded the same? I can tell you that the vinyl version of Hot Rats sounds better to me, but certainly it sounds different than his Digitally fucked with versions. Not the same sounding at all.

In short - all musicians should finish a project and freeze/flatten the audio if they want to keep it sounding as it was when they closed the project. There's no way for manufacturers to anticipate and cater for the heat death of the universe.

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Angstrom wrote: In short - all musicians should finish a project and freeze/flatten the audio if they want to keep it sounding as it was when they closed the project. There's no way for manufacturers to anticipate and cater for the heat death of the universe.
Good point. So there is no forever backward compatible DAW. This seems reasonable and answers my first question. From a certain point of view it can be considered as a problem, but your idea to finish a song with the version we started on it's the best solution.

Regarding Zappa, the interview is about his work with the synclavier, not the tapes.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:56 pm

add this to your Options.txt file for pre-9.2 latency behaviour:

-Pre9.2LatencyBehavior

Post by 102455 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:55 pm

AARRGGHH!

Why the hell can't Live update straight to the latest version instead of one "point update" at a time (with me having to open & close Live in between)?

:evil: :roll: