9.2 - 32 Bit Super Laggy - 9.2 - 64 Bit Works Great ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stickybuds

9.2 - 32 Bit Super Laggy - 9.2 - 64 Bit Works Great ???

Post by Stickybuds » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:00 am

Upgraded today....

32 bit 9.2 is super sluggish, it's like I have 200 tracks open on a super old laptop that can't handle it... This is happening with a completely blank session, or a full session of edits of 150 tracks.... I was using previous 32 bit before this with no problems...

Downloaded 64 bit 9.2 version and it works flawlessly.... No lag whatsoever, even on my sessions with 200+ tracks...

Anyone else having this issue? I can make a video showing this but I am swamped getting ready for shows... Will use 64 bit for my edit sessions but I like to produce in 32 and this lag is obviously not ideal...

Mac Specs

OSX 10.10.1
2.8 GHZ I7 - Retina 15" Mid 2014
16 gb DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
1 Gig SSD Factory

Stickybuds

Re: 9.2 - 32 Bit Super Laggy - 9.2 - 64 Bit Works Great ???

Post by Stickybuds » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:51 pm

So this isn't happening for anyone else?

nexus01

Post by nexus01 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:10 pm

Same here, no matter the system. I have a super PC and a MacBook Pro and its the same you describe in both.

Always using 32bit Live. I will not use 64bit because of the plug-ins.

Edit:

Reading the Live 9.2 release notes I found this:

Live Sets that contain Max for Live devices or third-party plug-ins now have lower latency.

In practice its quite the opposite :S
Last edited by nexus01 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:12 pm

Is it a question of VST compatibility that makes you want to use the 32-bit version? I'm sorry I can't answer your question - 64-bit here, and it's been pretty flawless for me.

nexus01

Post by nexus01 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:16 pm

sporkles wrote:Is it a question of VST compatibility that makes you want to use the 32-bit version? ...
Yes!

Stickybuds

Post by Stickybuds » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 pm

In my music production sessions I still have 32 bit plugins I like to use, it's super annoying that it's slow all of a sudden...

Do any ableton reps post on here?

VT2

Post by VT2 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi
I use the same 32bit Live (in 64bit Win), but not tried v9.2 yet, thanks for the info. Will tested new versia, if will reproduced the same behavior then i write here. It would be bad if it is confirmed.

VT2

Post by VT2 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:06 pm

Well, tried v9.2 (32bit) just now via compare with my scetch project made in v9.1.9, strangely but i can not reproduce such difference, cpu keep on the same level (13-14%), and not occur any lags or crackles yet. Project contain 3 VST + couple fx;s and ableton sampler + two automation lines.

But honestly i not tried compare something from m4l in v9.2 yet, in the sense of performance, also not install max7 yet, but nonetheless, it seems all is not so bad.

The only noted that 9.2 began to consume a bit more memory (something around 50 megabytes), although for 32-bit version are critical every centimeter, but it is within the normal range.

But again, it was a quick test, it may be necessary any more detailed data to reproduce the problem?
Perhaps the problem is caused by some specific plugin (which took a dislike to the new version)

Edit
For just in case, i use a quite not new CPU (Core Quad).

Blinky99

Post by Blinky99 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:22 am

Same problem here. 64bit is not an option too. The audio is working perfectly it's just mostly the piano roll editor which is very laggy. Moving a note with the cursor keys takes about 1/2 second to move and repeatedly pressing an arrow key buffers up the movements and the note keeps moving after you stop pressing the keys for a while.

I'm on a retina MacBook Pro and it still happens without any plugins loaded.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon or I'll have to downgrade back to 9.1. which didn't have this issue :(

UPDATE.... :P

I've discovered if I set my Zoom Display to 100% in Preferences > Look and Feel, the piano roll goes back to being fast and smooth again. It seems any value other than 100% causes the lagging. Not ideal but at least 9.2 is now usable :D
Last edited by Blinky99 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

nexus01

Post by nexus01 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:54 am

After a bit more of testing I found that Live is not laggy in real use (at least for me with 9.2 in Win7), as a CPU or RAM problem, but it truly messed up with the Latency and Delay Compensation. Everything has a lot of latency.

The idea of latency compensation is that if a device introduces latency to the signal path, the delay compensation feature reproduces the affected material "x" amount of ms before the rest of the material to avoid delays in that specific signal path without getting it out of sync with the rest of the audio material.

What it seems to happen here is that Live seems to do quite the opposite, it delays the rest of the whole audio material (the one with no delay or plugins) to match the latency introduced by some channels with heavy plugins in the chain. As result we have a noticeable delay between what you do on the screen and what you hear as result.

This is exactly what I´m experiencing in any moderate-heavy loaded project I open since the update to 9.2, which wasn't a problem (at least for me) with 9.1.8.

:|

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:24 am

nexus01 wrote:After a bit more of testing I found that Live is not laggy in real use (at least for me with 9.2 in Win7), as a CPU or RAM problem, but it truly messed up with the Latency and Delay Compensation. Everything has a lot of latency.

The idea of latency compensation is that if a device introduces latency to the signal path, the delay compensation feature reproduces the affected material "x" amount of ms before the rest of the material to avoid delays in that specific signal path without getting it out of sync with the rest of the audio material.

What it seems to happen here is that Live seems to do quite the opposite, it delays the rest of the whole audio material (the one with no delay or plugins) to match the latency introduced by some channels with heavy plugins in the chain. As result we have a noticeable delay between what you do on the screen and what you hear as result.

This is exactly what I´m experiencing in any moderate-heavy loaded project I open since the update to 9.2, which wasn't a problem (at least for me) with 9.1.8.

Nexus01...have you tried using any device from the Orchestral Pack? I ask because you mention you are a windows 7 user and I am too. Certain devices from the packs use more ram and take eons to load.
joel

nexus01

Post by nexus01 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:40 am

Joel W-J wrote:
nexus01 wrote:After a bit more of testing I found that Live is not laggy in real use (at least for me with 9.2 in Win7), as a CPU or RAM problem, but it truly messed up with the Latency and Delay Compensation. Everything has a lot of latency.

Nexus01...have you tried using any device from the Orchestral Pack? I ask because you mention you are a windows 7 user and I am too. Certain devices from the packs use more ram and take eons to load.
joel
No, I'm not using those packs, I use mostly plug-ins from FabFilter in HiQ mode, some Nebula devices and other stuff like that. They generate latency sometimes but most of the time they don't. Haven't try with anything else.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:45 am

MIght be worth contacting support@ableton.com if you can reproduce the issues you're seeing with certain plug ins.

nexus01

Post by nexus01 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:54 am

Im the only one with this problem?

Did no one else experience this?

Zentropy

Post by Zentropy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:42 pm

I'm 64 bit only and experiencing flawless performance. I use JBridge for a number of 32bit-only plugins and have for some time now with minimal issue once they're configured properly. I understand "Spend money on this other thing" isn't a good solution in general, but you might give it a look to use until this is sorted out if you don't want to go back to 9.1 instead