Sylenth presets lost when opening projects!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
funsystem74

Sylenth presets lost when opening projects!

Post by funsystem74 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:57 am

Hi,
I've been having this frustating issue for quite a while now. When opening projects with multiple instances of AU Sylenth, some of them (not all of them, that's the fun part!) completely lose the preset that was saved with the project the last time I closed it.

The midi files onto the track are not imported, the melodies are notes I came up with.

Running OSX Mavericks (had the issue with previous releases of OSX)
Ableton Live 32

any idea anyone?

Richie Witch

Re: Sylenth presets lost when opening projects!

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:36 am

Does this happen if you save the preset info inside the MIDI clip? Using the Bank/Sub/Pgm parameters in the Notes box?
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

funsystem74

Post by funsystem74 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:27 am

Hi,
I don't save any parameter in midi clips. It just re-initialises the device to its default arp preset

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:07 pm

So then try this out and see if it helps. In the clip's Note box, you'll find a stack of three fields: Bank, Sub, and Pgm. These fields send a message to your synth (virtual or hardware) telling it which preset to play when the clip is launched. The tricky part is that every synth understands these codes differently and you'll have to mess around to figure out which numbers mean what.

For example, in Dune 2, Bank translates to preset subfolder, and Pgm is the actual preset number in that folder, as displayed in Dune 2 main screen. Sub is not used.

On the Novation Bass Station Rack (the hardware version), only Pgm is used, but you have to increase the number by one, so "45" gets you preset 44.

For Enzyme, it doesn't work at all--for whatever reason, Enzyme doesn't respond to those codes. But that's a rare case. /shrug

Once you figure out these numbers, the clip will automatically set the synth to the correct preset. Give it a try and see if that fixes the issue.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

funsystem74

Post by funsystem74 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:01 am

ok I'll give it a try thanks!

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:50 am

I can confirm this works.

A sythenth preset can be addressed by Bank + Pgm. If you wanted to refer to preset 219, which is BS TranceRoller as of this writing, you'd set Bank to 2 and Pgm to 91, as 128 + 91 = 219.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:48 pm

its a shame that in clips the automation envelopes from the sylenth don't work after program changes.
Am i doing something wrong?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:35 pm

JAMM wrote:its a shame that in clips the automation envelopes from the sylenth don't work after program changes.
Am i doing something wrong?
OS?
Sylenth Version? (Is it up to date and the latest)??
Live Version?

No issues here with the latest sylenth

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:06 pm

latest 9 version off live.....problem occurs with all earlier versions off sylenth.
If i don,t do a program changers to another sylenth preset every (sylenth) automation envelopes works fine in every clip.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:02 am

JAMM wrote:latest 9 version off live.....problem occurs with all earlier versions off sylenth.
If i don,t do a program changers to another sylenth preset every (sylenth) automation envelopes works fine in every clip.
You didn't actually answer any of these:
OS?
Sylenth Version? (Is it up to date and the latest)??
Live Version?
Version numbers, not "the latest" as that wont help someone with the same issue in another 2 years.

I sell NKS preset libraries for the Native Instruments Komplete/Maschine hardware and I get a load of users who have issues with automation or presets loading. Almost 100% of the time, the plugin is an outdated version. Posting your version numbers just ensures we are using the same version and can either confirm or not the same issue