Quality control / Beta purpose

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
do_om

Quality control / Beta purpose

Post by do_om » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 am

Greetings,

I try not to pollute the internet w/ too much rage and frustrated vibes...but if I do...

Well, Live seems to be what gets me. Seeing that the cause of many a crash (user since V2,
several different OSX's and machines) seems to be 3rd party plug-ins. How a project that
I just saved can refuse to load after I am back from lunch and many other scenarios
of a similar kind can be standard in my work life I am yet to understand, but hey,
I hold that to Live's advantage. It is a good work environment, when it's working.

I reported that the Kush plug-ins were crashing the 9.2 beta pretty early on,
they were working fine in 9.1xx Now were are at 9.2 sharp, and no go on the Kush.
Crash and burn.

Several other people have had problems w/ other manufacturers, like NI etc etc.
I'm not sure about the Ableton internal stick for improvemnt is but it needs
a real world adjustment. In their defense, it's been more and more of a trend in
the last 5 years to bang out as much hyped 1/0s as possible and roll w/ the punches
when it all crashes down.

Would be nice w/ some consistency in updates and improvements. A major part of the
programs features should be that I am able to load a project I've been working on.
To fix a few bugs and throw in a tuner just to render other projects is not sustainable.
Sure I can stay on 9.1 and pass on the improvements that I would find most useful is an
option, however that reasoning is not what I payed or signed up for.

Your most humble grumpiness.
D.

Joel W-J

Re: Quality control / Beta purpose

Post by Joel W-J » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:03 am

I quite agree. This always seems to be the case with 1/0's though? Back in the day when I was an IT Technician they were always avoided. I think that MS have finally worked it out. I understand that they will no longer keep changing the name and version of the operating system but instead just offer updates/patches to their operating sytem.
I also agree that the real world is full of so many different hardware/software setup's that it is impossible to cover them all but to insist that the latest version is installed before one contacts support is a bit harsh.
I would be unable to work without being able to fall back to the previous version.

yours, controlled grumpy Joel.
Last edited by Joel W-J on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:43 am

If you can reliably reproduce a crash with the current 9.2 version, you should contact support@ableton.com and let them know there too. It's tricky with plug ins though, sometimes it's up to the developer to provide a fix and there's not much Ableton can do in that case except notify them.

do_om

Post by do_om » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Reports have been going to Ableton in both beta stages aswell as sharp versions. Reports to plug in devs have been filed
and usually come back along the lines of "It's an Ableton issue, works well elsewhere, we have contacted Ableton about the issue"
I have been beta testing for major companies for over 15 years, battered and bruised. I think the discussion needs to open up outside of forums / online misseiles fired in frustration and rage, digital delivery quality control, is a real issue nowdays, from the Ps4
version of SF4 to Live 9.2

Fingerpointing back and forth and having bug report sending built into your workflow is not what should be on sale.
Good call on the Abe's for that Live 8 public statement, however very little did change in the quality of their software.

Cool like the breeze!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:45 pm

this whole issue is now endemic in our computerised world. everything has gotten very complicated and interconnected and different bits change all the time. and revenue streams are dependent on new versions and models with yet more features being rolled out at a breakneck pace.

at one of my workplaces the microwave oven has bugs, and needs to be rebooted every now and again.

do_om

Post by do_om » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:52 pm

fishmonkey wrote: at one of my workplaces the microwave oven has bugs, and needs to be rebooted every now and again.
Goods news on the reboot working, mine was a tougher one and will not cook vegetarian, also some brands of porridge
give us a hard time. Informed Kraft and they sent a batch of babyfood to the office ;)

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:25 pm

Mine stopped pinging at the end of the cook cycle along time ago. It just goes der! now. I don't think that is software related though! :lol:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:44 pm

My new microwave in Luxembourg beeps endlessly until you cancel the timer. I like it when they just beep 2-3 times and stop.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:10 pm

Tarekith wrote:My new microwave in Luxembourg beeps endlessly until you cancel the timer. I like it when they just beep 2-3 times and stop.
There's a M4L device for that.
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:26 pm

I thought it was just super minimal techno.