Is a push necessary to learn live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Imagine_Infinity

Is a push necessary to learn live 9?

Post by Imagine_Infinity » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:07 pm

I've just recently started watching youtube tutorials and playing around in ableton, but I don't have a midi controller. I'm thinking of buying a push because they look really amazing, but they're so expensive. Would it be worth getting one now to learn about ableton, or instead just learn the basics without push and then get one later? Also, if I do get one, should I buy used or new?

Tarekith

Re: Is a push necessary to learn live 9?

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:15 pm

You could get one later IMO, people were using Live for many years before Push came along :)

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:37 pm

get the cheapest thing you can find that has the ability to be midi mapped to live devices and lets you tap in midi notes. once you've had that for 4 months or so you'll get a better understanding of whether Push is worth it for the way you play. I managed for ages with a Korg padkontrol and nanokontrol.

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:39 am

I've got an AKAI MPKmini. This has pots, pads, Arpeggiator and a keyboard for all your tinkering needs. Once you start to get familiar with Abe you'll start to want more toys anyway. I started out without controllers. You can always learn to control midi with the computer keyboard. No faders and the like but the arrow keys would give you an idea. There is so much to get used to without controllers.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:58 pm

As everyone else has posted you don't need a Push. If you want one though, you don't have to buy brand new. Plenty of decent secondhand ones around.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:29 pm

no it isn't but in order to really take advantage of what live has over other DAWs then you need a good midi controller or two (or five or six)
Push happens to be the best one and it is the center of my studio
I have found the more i can get away from the screen the more I can get into creative flow which is why I have several controllers but Push is hub for all of them

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:37 pm

No. 90% of the time, I just use my mouse and computer keyboard. I only make music though - if you're talking about live performance, then I'd just start with a simple MIDI controller of some kind.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:48 pm

I was gonna say what Tarekith said but if you've got an iPad touchable 3 is worth a look, i just picked it up recently and it is really well implemented on the iPad.

There's also stuff like DDC control wich can be used with most midi controllers but takes a bit of setting up.

mcdreamer

Post by mcdreamer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:37 pm

I started with a Launchpad and LaunchControl. They were really good but I felt hampered by the lack of a screen for displaying parameter names. I sold them and got a Push. Never looked back.

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:01 am

I own a push but honestly don't use it...

I don't use clip view so recording with the push actually slows down my workflow..

I am much quicker with a keyboard and mouse.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:55 am

^^^ Same here. I find push fun to mess around with and make drum beats, but I am finding it difficult to record a performance as I would with a midi keyboard.
With push its too easy to accidentally trigger unwanted double notes. I also find it easier just to load instruments with my mouse. With push its almost like taking a step back in time - scrolling through presets while looking at a lcd from an 80s stereo.
Also you can't edit audio properly with push. So I would say no you don't need it.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.