Can't drag and drop mp3s in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SBRK

Can't drag and drop mp3s in Live

Post by SBRK » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:42 pm

I've been having a weird problem for several weeks now : I can't drag and drop mp3 files to Ableton Live anymore. If I drag them from a folder within the software, it works, but whenever I try to do it from the OS (Windows 8.1), I can't.
With the beta version of Live 9.2, it does work, but with the final version of 9.2, it still does not... I have tried reinstalling multiple times, without success...

Tarekith

Re: Can't drag and drop mp3s in Live

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Is your decoding cache full?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:51 pm

or running as Administrator?
ImageImage

SBRK

Post by SBRK » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:29 pm

shadx312 wrote:or running as Administrator?
Yep, that was that ! Thanks

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:13 pm

You are welcome, Sir.
ImageImage

MrMcKMusic

Post by MrMcKMusic » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:43 am

Tarekith wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:00 pm
Is your decoding cache full?
Where do I find the deciding cache? Running as admin didn’t work for me.

vespasianthesubguest

Post by vespasianthesubguest » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Hiya,

I have the same problem. Running in admin too. Version 10. I have controlled folder access enabled but have allowed through the following:

ableton index.exe
ableton web connector.exe
ableton live 10 standard.exe
ableton swapper.exe

I was able to drag stuff in version 8. What's the issue?

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:29 pm

It is the file explorer that has to be running as admin, not Live.

You can't drag from a non-admin app into a admin app.

If you set Live to run as admin, then any app you want to drag files from into Live has to be running as admin too.

That's how OS security works.

Live doesn't even need admin permissions (and only runs as admin with user intervention).

IMO it is simpler to just run Live as non-admin, it is the default.
♥♥♥

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:41 pm

pottering wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:29 pm
Basically this. You will always have issues with drag-n-drop for all the mentioned reasons if you run Live as Admin so disable that and it should start working again.

BrandonE

Post by BrandonE » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:53 pm

pottering wrote:

If you set Live to run as admin, then any app you want to drag files from into Live has to be running as admin too.

Live doesn't even need admin permissions (and only runs as admin with user intervention).

[/quote

How do i set the file explorer on a MAC to not run as admin ? please help!!! Losing my fucking mind seeing all my vocal clips empty and getting a message saying(THIS SAMPLE CONTAINS NO AUDIO DATA) All after running the most recent mac update.

BrandonE

Post by BrandonE » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:56 pm

pottering wrote:

How do i set the file explorer on a MAC to not run as admin ? please help!!! Losing my fucking mind seeing all my vocal clips empty and getting a message saying(THIS SAMPLE CONTAINS NO AUDIO DATA) All after running the most recent mac update.

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:20 pm

I doubt trying to solve a problem on a Mac by attempting to apply a Windows solution to it is going to be very successful.

The two operating systems are very, very different.

Finder runs under the privileges of the account that has launched it. Which happens when someone logs on to that account. To prevent Finder running with administrator privileges create a user account that isn't an administrator one and try using that.

I have no problem dragging mp3s into Live if the account I use is an administrator one.

Is dragging and dropping mp3s into Live your problem, or is it something else?
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

DomThePyrro

Post by DomThePyrro » Mon May 18, 2020 9:21 pm

[/quote]

Did you ever figure this out???? Same exact thing happened to me! Around the same date too... I haven't been able to find a permanent fix.
However, somehow I am able to drag only small samples onto my projects, but all past projects cannot be added to and audio is gone :(

Decke

Post by Decke » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:04 pm

It`s simply a shame. In the past to drag and drop any files from the Windows Explorer to Ableton you need to open Ableton as what you be logged on in your windows OS. If you logged in as Admin in Windows, open Ableton with admin permissions and you can drag and drop any file. If not, don`t open it with admin permissions.
Nowadays (with ableton 10 suite) I run my Windows 10 as Admin, but need to open ableton without admin permissions to drag and drop samples directly.
Really, beside running a program not as admin in windows could cause other issues, this is damn confusing.
Ableton, please get in contact with microsoft and fix this. Thanks.

P.S. also Samples/Folders are not shown in added Libraries if combination of permissions is not as ableton is programed.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:01 am

Decke wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:04 pm
It`s simply a shame. In the past to drag and drop any files from the Windows Explorer to Ableton you need to open Ableton as what you be logged on in your windows OS. If you logged in as Admin in Windows, open Ableton with admin permissions and you can drag and drop any file. If not, don`t open it with admin permissions.
Nowadays (with ableton 10 suite) I run my Windows 10 as Admin, but need to open ableton without admin permissions to drag and drop samples directly.
Really, beside running a program not as admin in windows could cause other issues, this is damn confusing.
Ableton, please get in contact with microsoft and fix this. Thanks.

P.S. also Samples/Folders are not shown in added Libraries if combination of permissions is not as ableton is programed.
Issue is in Windows and not Live. Affects all software so may want to contact MS yourself on this one.

It has to do with how the system and user accounts interact. The whole explorer is run as a logged in user so all applications also have to run as that user IF you want the programs to be able to pass information. So if you want to use DnD between explorer and an application, they BOTH have to be launched as a user or BoTH launched as Administrator. AFAIK an account with admin priv does not act as the "Administrator", it is still a user, so you do not enable admin for the launching of a program.

To put it in a more simple way, if you have issues like denied access of something, just check and try invert the admin option... if it's checked, unchech etc. Best way to learn is to do.