9.2 Feels like a complete 9.. what would even be next?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pinkpaint

9.2 Feels like a complete 9.. what would even be next?

Post by pinkpaint » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:11 am

Hi,

Please don't fill this thread with feature requests. This is a put aside what your individual wants are and try to guess what abletons actual next move is.

To me, 9.2 feels like a complete version of 9. They've finally got everything running under the hood incredibly smoothly. So what could possibly be next. I'm still over here astonished by the PDC now. Like I honestly never thought live would have proper PDC.

I can really only see them do bigger things at this point. Considering it took more than a year from 9.1 to 9.2 I would imagine work on Ableton 10 is actually starting to going heavily under way as if a point update took a year a whole update will at least double that. We all saw the frame in the dev video ableton released where there was a dev and his laptop had a bitwig look mixer I'm guessing (image was blurred, there was def vertical frames tho)

What do you expect to come next? 9.3? or do you think they will go dormant for a while and work on 10? or a little of both?

As I said for me live 9 feels complete. I have everything I need. Personally, I would like for them to go dormant and surprise us with something big.

Dead0k

Re: 9.2 Feels like a complete 9.. what would even be next?

Post by Dead0k » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:29 am

how do you live with unsynced playhead on your screen with what Live plays/reproduces from your speakers?
i feel it very uncomfortable. (happened in 9.2 after PDC fix)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:42 am

I play with my ears and not my eyes?

Cheers
D

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:37 pm

I really think they've wanted 9.2 to be the definite and final version of Live 9, and that they want to focus on 10 from now on.

In my case, what I expect coincides with what I want: workflow improvements, more advanced MIDI editing and possibly a more flexible GUI. I agree that Live now has a pretty complete feature set - what I think they need to do first of all is to implement a lot of the requested features that keep people from using Live exclusively. When there are certain operations that some users need to turn to a second DAW to accomplish, it's a sign that these features should be in Live.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:17 pm

sporkles wrote:I really think they've wanted 9.2 to be the definite and final version of Live 9, and that they want to focus on 10 from now on.
I think you're wrong....

Cheers
D

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:35 pm

Does sound a bit fishy. 8)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Whatnow? :x

login

Post by login » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:09 pm

Push still needs a couple of things to me, like control over drum rack mixer.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:39 pm

login wrote:Push still needs a couple of things to me, like control over drum rack mixer.

Yeah, there's still loads of things they could improve with Push. Full access to Lives browser is the main one for me.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:49 am

It seems they cannot add anything more cos they won't. For many reasons. (disclaimer: conjecture)
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:30 am

Typically all the DAWs Ive used are updated with new features only once in a product cycle.
The occasional last minute change that too longer notwithstanding.
I would agree that this is probably the last version besides bug fixes before Live 10.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:35 am

No 9.2 for me. Thank you.
As long as you will chase your own tail in mindless OS upgrading, you are doomed to be a guinea pig struggling with neverending crashes and problems.
Several times a week I am witnessing how bad OS X released after Snow Leopard are. Even Mountain Lion seems nowadays a better OS X than Yosemite or Mavericks...
I really feel sorry for everybody who begins their adventure with computer based creative activity at the moment, because computers are not supposed to be a creative tools anymore. They are mirroring all the bull of sociopathological "social media" network that turns humankind into brainless and shallow mass.
Nowadays you don't need to be yourself, to be creative, to be original as long as you are... connected.
It's all about being connected.
Idea itself is not that bad.
But it got corrupted.
We are getting more and more remote from each other.
And more and more isolated.
With hundreds of thousand "likes" on our virtual FB or YT accounts...
So what's the point?
I am enjoying my Snow Leopard's rock solid stability and refuse to follow "smart phone evolution"...
Due to dropped compatibility for Snow Leopard the 9.1.9 is where I have to jump off.
And I see Ableton struggling to keep up with the mindless herd of "smart phone" heads...
Good luck and thanks for great tool that Live is.
It's all about money anyway.
Skål!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:52 pm

I would agree. Most DAWs I've seen usually have one big feature change in a point update before they release the next whole version.

To me, the PDC fix is similar to when they hit 64 bit in 8.4.. 9 came not too long after 8.4 as I recall.

granted

Post by granted » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:47 pm

It's obvious what the next step for Live will be if you look at the evidence:
Cross-platform, dedicated controller, Max for Live development kit all lead to one thing:
A New Gaming Platform!

</joke>

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:47 pm

I'm expecting to see them improve comping capabilities, and midi functionality.
They need to take Push into the type of sample chopping that Maschine can do, and improve it's integration with Lives sampler, especially now we have the 64 pad sampler functionality.
Because of this, Sampler is probably something they will overhaul, so it can time stretch like a proper sampler can, and also have a bigger GUI so editing its audio is more in line with using a fully fledged audio editor.
I wouldn't be surprised if they capitalised on their better instruments (The Glue, new EQ etc), by getting some type of built in channel strip on each channel.
There's loads of directions they can go in.... I'm interested to see where they take it.... :)