Launchpad mk2 vs livid base 2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
baseinstinct

Launchpad mk2 vs livid base 2

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Are there any users of the two above? It seems that push and apc are taking all the publicity - almost as if the market got saturated.

Does anyone know if base 2 is getting frequent updates? Does it properly work with 9.2?

S4racen

Re: Launchpad mk2 vs livid base 2

Post by S4racen » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Livid Base II is velocity sensitive, not really a comparison between the two...

Cheers
D

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Launchpad Pro drops next month. It's on my must buy list for sure.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Base's velocity sensitive liken it to lp pro rather, indeed.
What I am interested in about Base 2 is whether it has buttons truly rgb reflecting in a recognizable way the clip colors in launch mode, whether it works reliably with ableton 9.2 and whether Base 1 is still getting proper updates.

Does anyone know?

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:09 am

I am taking private lessons from an Ableton certified trainer who uses the AP-40 mk11 in conjunction with Push and a Keith McMillin Soft Step 2 MIDI foot controller. He said the workflow of all 3 controllers when setup correctly is tightly integrated and great for live applications. He is a gigging musician like me so this was the best use of these controllers for my specific needs. I have the APC-40mkii & Soft Step 2 but have not yet taken them out of box because I still have to finish our Push training which will take at least another month of lessons and homework assignments. I realize this didn't answer your question because I not familiar with Livid Bass and have not yet used APC-40mk11. All I can say is this workflow is recommended and used by one of the best Ableton trainers in the country who specializes in use of controllers. Hope this helped in some way if you own Push or thinking about purchasing it and plan on using Ableton when gigging. I also have a MIDI Guitar which is my favorite controller. PM me if you want name/number of my mentor. Good luck with any choice you make.

BobbyD

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:43 am

baseinstinct wrote:Base's velocity sensitive liken it to lp pro rather, indeed.
What I am interested in about Base 2 is whether it has buttons truly rgb reflecting in a recognizable way the clip colors in launch mode, whether it works reliably with ableton 9.2 and whether Base 1 is still getting proper updates.

Does anyone know?
I use both, and it's entirely personal but i Use the Base for drums as the pads are bigger and the LP Pro for keys etc.

If you just want to be launching clips then the LP MKII is your best bet...

Cheers
D

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:37 am

Well, I want to both trigger clips and play drums and simple keys ;P Plus I need its virtual sliders. Are they reliable?

Are the pads real rgb, i.e. you can tell what clips they actually represent on Live's matrix?
And does base 2 work properly with live 9.2?

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:48 am

I saw you had some preset for Base on your offer. Have you checked it to work with 9.2?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:16 pm

I've got a Base 1, theres no changes in 9.2 that will effect it...

Cheers
D

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:22 pm

baseinstinct wrote:What I am interested in about Base 2 is whether it has buttons truly rgb reflecting in a recognizable way the clip colors in launch mode...
Base II pad colors can be red, green, blue, yellow, magenta, cyan, white and black... so they're not going to mirror your Live clips exactly. What else? The velocity response is nice, although Livid tailored it to beats and clip triggering rather than instrument playing. The touch faders are mint if you're into hacking, but for everyday use you'll find them inferior to physical faders or knobs.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:35 am

Thanks for this info.

So I presume the lighting is richer than in Launchpad 1 but not as sophisticated as in Launchpad 2.

Still, it might do as long as you keep different instruments or types of music distinct from one another.
Is that right?

What do you mean by "hacking" with faders? Abrupt parameter changes?

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:06 am

To answer my own question, no the rgb in livid base 2 is not used to represent the colours of the clips and in that sense the way they are marketed is misleading.

Three colours are used to reflect what is happening on the clip matrix - the same way as in Launchpad 1 and Launchpad mini 1 and mini 2, ie. playing, not playing, recording.

The rest of the colours - and there are just 11 of them or less - are used just in other "pages".

I am sure the device is good, but the way it is presented in ads may lead to disappointment.

Personally, I wait for Base 3 - no hurry at all.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:31 am

The strength of the LP line is that they are indefinitely supported by Ableton as control surfaces. It automatically works and is included in the installation with all the expected features.

Additionally, they are so common that it is more likely to come across bonus software for them :D

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:46 pm

Base is said to have very well organized script creation. Strange though, those recent devices are not getting reviewed, neither novation mk2 nor livid mk2.