Push 2 coming soon?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
puzzlefactory

Re: Push 2 coming soon?

Post by puzzlefactory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:54 am

I've just seen 2.5 on my account page. Do I have to install it myself or will the auto update install it?

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:00 am

Hmmm, no mention of using Push in arrange mode but at last we can load vsts from push! Sweet!

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:11 am

Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:11 am

deva wrote: All of that is moot for me... 8x8 overwhelmingly beats 4x4! 4x4 is a total show stopper (for me). The Push user interface is good enough for me. I also have no interest to avoid my lovely 27" screen. For many of my DAW tasks, screen and mouse is better than Maschine or Push so for those sorts of situations, it does not matter to me how the two controllers compare.
I'm not convinced there will ever be a "one controller to rule them all!" Too many different users etc. The whole using Push as a keyboard doesn't really do it for me, I'm not looking to replace a regular piano key set up. For most of what Push is supposed to do, usability is low compared to Maschine. Even something as simple as step recording with dynamics in the drum machine, Maschine wins.

but make no mistake, I think you're intentionally avoiding my point with all this, the interface as far as the buttons on Push are IMO 100% sacrificing usability over a device like Maschine, can you really argue that the tiny font, badly lit, graphite on graphite, buttons have any advantage at all over translucent, well lit, brightly colored buttons on a black background? I'm near sighted, I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who had to wear reading glasses etc.??

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:19 am

Up to 30% trade in announced for Push 1 owners: https://www.ableton.com/en/push-trade-in/ - hopefully that doesn't mean Push 1 has been left out of any new functionality! I appreciate that it potentially supports a good cause but given the cost of the thing, I think most would be tempted to put it up for second hand sale instead...
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:33 am

So from my reading the new filters come to Sampler too (good) but warping doesn't?!

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! :x

And I see they continue to shove M4L down our throats :roll:

I guess that means no new native devices to Live ever again :(
Last edited by TomViolenz on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:36 am

tom_d wrote:Up to 30% trade in announced for Push 1 owners: https://www.ableton.com/en/push-trade-in/ - hopefully that doesn't mean Push 1 has been left out of any new functionality! I appreciate that it potentially supports a good cause but given the cost of the thing, I think most would be tempted to put it up for second hand sale instead...
You get roughly $240 off of Push 2 from what I can tell. 30% off drops it down to $560 basically.

I'm torn, the fact is it's a very similar looking re-do to what Novation did to the SL MKII vs MKI, MKI is almost unusable in terms of the layout to me, and MKII is butter. I'm not sure how they could implement two navigation arrow type set ups in Push 1 for instance? We will see here. Installing 9.5 now...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:39 am

TomViolenz wrote:
So from my reading the new filters come to Sampler too (good) but warping doesn't?!

M4L isn't going anywhere Tom, if we use this software we're going to have to expect that they update and use M4L, period.

I'm installing 9.5 now, it's possible Sampler gets warping in a later update, don't jump to conclusions that they're only interested in Simpler. :x

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:45 am

so, still no drum rack mixer control? do we have to wait for push 3 to get that?! :cry:

does anyone have a clear idea about what push 2 can do that push 1 cant besides sample mangling and metering on-screen?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:47 am

Machinesworking wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:

M4L isn't going anywhere Tom, if we use this software we're going to have to expect that they update and use M4L, period.
I'm fine with updating and using it, I'm not fine with all their development for new devices being M4L.

Their devices always had the huge advantage compared to vsts, that they were light weight, and insanely stable.
All of that goes out the window completely with M4L.

I'm installing 9.5 now, it's possible Sampler gets warping in a later update, don't jump to conclusions that they're only interested in Simpler. :x
Yeah sure, just like you can control sample start and loop position in Sampler and Simpler via Macros/Midi. Oh wait, you can't in Sampler :x

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:54 am

30% trade in is nice, but I don't think I can justify £350 (price after discount) for essentially the same controller with added sample chopping.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:54 am

Jesus H Christ Tom! go download the update and check out what they did do before getting all bent! you sound like me about Push! :x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:03 am

Machinesworking wrote:Jesus H Christ Tom! go download the update and check out what they did do before getting all bent! you sound like me about Push! :x
Well, you are right about Push :mrgreen:

And as always I will wait till 9.5.2 or at least 9.5.1.

I let all of you be the bug hunters for me, I have no time for this.

login

Post by login » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:25 am

By the way, this is on the changelog:
A parameter configuration can now be saved as a default per AU or VST plug-in. This is done via a new context menu entry available in Live's plug-in device. The default configurations are stored in a "Plug-In Configurations" folder under "User Library/Defaults".

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:28 am

login wrote:By the way, this is on the changelog:
A parameter configuration can now be saved as a default per AU or VST plug-in. This is done via a new context menu entry available in Live's plug-in device. The default configurations are stored in a "Plug-In Configurations" folder under "User Library/Defaults".

Will be useful in conjunction with being able to load third party plugins from Push.