MIDI Mapping cloning?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
reubenk

MIDI Mapping cloning?

Post by reubenk » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi there
I have spent about 2 hours MIDI mapping my NI Traktor X1 to Ableton Master channel, to come back a few days later realising that I should have had it on a separate bus channel to achieve what i am looking for.
My question is, is there a way I can drag n drop all the MIDI mappings so they work exactly as I have set it, but off of a different channel? I am aware that you can save the channel strip and load to a new channel which I have done, but I have found that it does not move the MIDI mappings along with it.

Many thanks !

S4racen

Re: MIDI Mapping cloning?

Post by S4racen » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:22 pm

Sorry no you can't...

Cheers
D

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:45 pm

If you have a rack which you've already mapped in a live set. Let's say on Ch 1. Then you drag that rack to Ch 2, it will retain the mappings of that rack. But that is Within the saved set. Unfortunately you cannot drag it out to save, and then back in.

I think it'd be very interesting if Ableton came up with a strategy for taking midi mapping to a next level. There are a few options I'd consider (some of which are already common practice for other daws) if I were them.

reubenk

Post by reubenk » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:37 pm

Hey yur2die4
I actually tried just that. I had my mappings on master channel and tried to drag to another channel, and whilst everything copies over, sadly the mappings do not!

reubenk

Post by reubenk » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:19 pm

Hi guys, just a quick one to see if anyone has any solutions for this issue?

I spent quite alot of time custom mapping my Kontrol X1 and would not want to have to map all over again for each channel..

My goal is to be able to enable the identical FX mappings on different channels (example Vocals / Drums) without having to drag my Audio Rack into 8-10 different channels which would kill my processing power.

Many thanks

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:41 am

I'm sorry that didn't work. I could swear that I've mapped and then dragged something and it retained the mappings. I must be losing my mind.......

As for the second question, I don't know if you've considered this option, but it is common for people to make a bus channel which recieves all the channels you want to affect. Then you'll only have one instance of the audio rack. The downside is that you have one more channel to deal with.

reubenk

Post by reubenk » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:53 am

hey yur2die4 - thanks for the reply!
I have considered bussing channels before but have had some things that put me off the idea (maybe I'm being a noob). If i have all my channels bussed, example being Vocals + Drums + Synths, and i just want to have the Vocals effected and not drums + synths also, is there a way of doing this so that it doesn't effect every channel being bussed at that time? Maybe there is a really easy way to do this that I have not discovered!

Many thanks again