New Novation Launchpad Released Today

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EasyWorkflow

New Novation Launchpad Released Today

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Hello....I had recently ordered the new APC mk11 to go along with my Push. I am in the 30 day return period to send back. Because I am relatively new, which controller would you recommend?

Thanks & God Bless

BobbyD

EasyWorkflow

Re: New Novation Launchpad Released Today

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Forgot to mention it's called the Novation Launchpad Pro.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:13 pm

I have the APC40 Mk2 (I was lucky enough to sell the original before the Mk2 was announced), but the big issue for me is the 5x8 matrix which makes it incompatible with Push. I also have the Push, which is great, but suffers from lack of portability, etc., but it is by far the more flexible (but a bit harder to get your head around; the APC is designed around traditional interfaces; faders, encoder sections for devices, etc.).

The Launchpad Pro has great potential, but doesn't implement the scale/chord feature of Push (the APC40 doesn't have that at all, unless you use third party software). I think this will eventually come to pass (by Stray, Fabrizio, Mots or others, like Launchpad95 or J74 or LPC-2), but for right now, the Launchpad Pro is severely limited as a musical instrument.

As a Clip launcher/manipulator, the Launchpad Pro is better than the Launchpad, but you have decide which one works better - the key issue to me is its lack of functionality as a melodic instrument (C Major chromatic is all you get).

The more I use Push, the less I use the APC40 Mk2 - I thought it was gorgeous when it came out, but now it seems very limited indeed. And the 5x8 matrix kind of sucks for all sorts of reasons... If you are not sure, I would return the APC40, and get an inexpensive Launchpad, which together with Launchpad94, Jz4, or LPC-2 can indicate which way you want to go.

Then, depending on what happens with LP Pro, you can either get that or a Push (and by that time, even a Push 2 as people are wondering about)

But I agonize; every controller solved a purpose for me, but none solved them all (a portable Push the size and weight of a Launchpad would be ideal) It is a moving target, for sure...

If you're not going beyond one bank of clips, the you might consider the APC Mini or Key 25 as a beginning controller. (or don't mind incrementally moving the red box around), since they don't have session overview).

(A bummer for me was that I purchased both the APC Mini and the APC Key 25, only to find that Session Overview was not implemented in either of them, which would have been a real deal breaker if I had known about it before purchase - and it was after the return time, since I automatically assumed it was there when I began porting over my sessions).

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks for taking the time for the detailed response. I am confused because is I take private lessons with an Ableton Certified instructor and he said for what I want to do (I am a gigging guitarist) he said he has a perfect workflow for integrating Push, APC-40mk11 and Keith McMillin Soft Step 2 midi foot controller. I am waiting to hear back from him because I posted before he got back to me so now I am even more confused. You are obviously an advanced user of controllers and Ableton, so when you said Push doesn't integrate with APC-40mk11, that through me for a loop (no pun intended). I will post after hearing back from my mentor.

Thanks

BobbyD

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:08 pm

EasyWorkflow wrote:Thanks for taking the time for the detailed response. I am confused because is I take private lessons with an Ableton Certified instructor and he said for what I want to do (I am a gigging guitarist) he said he has a perfect workflow for integrating Push, APC-40mk11 and Keith McMillin Soft Step 2 midi foot controller. I am waiting to hear back from him because I posted before he got back to me so now I am even more confused. You are obviously an advanced user of controllers and Ableton, so when you said Push doesn't integrate with APC-40mk11, that through me for a loop (no pun intended). I will post after hearing back from my mentor.

Thanks

BobbyD
To be sure, that is a nice combination (you kind of get the best of both worlds if you don't care about the difference in matrices), especially for a guitarist (I'm also primarily a guitarist, and I had thought primarily in terms of creating backing tracks). The APC40 is primarily for clip launching, and the Push is more of an EDM instrument, but they have overlapping functions.

But for me, once I get my backing clips created, in live performance I can use a cheap Launchpad to trigger clips, and setup / portability is an issue for gigs for me.

(That is why the APC Mini was so frustrating; I needed to select banks of clips fast, not incrementally - it would have been fantastic if it had Session Overview).

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:27 pm

I looked at the LPpro also & voted with my pocketbook : TriggerFingerPro
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:19 pm

If you have Push and it works great for you, the LPpro would be redundant. (Unless of course you want a second clip launcher/notes playing device).

The APC 40 line probably fills in most gaps (has dedicated track select, mute, solo, arm, stop, and then faders and knobs).

A sleek alternative (although it is getting old and I'm curious if an mkiii is in the works!!!!) is the Novation Remote SLmkii. I usually depend on the Remote if I'm not using Push, or the Push if I'm not using the Remote.

Just don't get into the habit of constantly picking up new gear before you even understand what it does. You end up spending a lot of time and money, and taking up space.

login

Post by login » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:41 pm

IMHO what would complement Push better is the Launchcontrol XL, Push is better at everything but it lack faders.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Between the Launchcontrol XL and the APC 40, it really depends on a person's preferences. The Launchcontrol has absolute rotaries while the APC has 'endless' (in Live at least). Plus, if you're stuck in Notes mode, playing notes, the APC can still sort of make up for the Session View being hidden on the Push.

The Launchcontrol is a great price though, and verrry easy to transport. Plus makes a smaller footprint in your studio. And it gives you lotssss of knobs so you feel more inclined to actually map some to things.

I guess the main thing is to Know what your needs are more than just knowing how much cool stuff is out there.

Some people want a very portable rig, no surprises, inexpensive, that can plug into anything (Novation has a lot of low power devices/some iOS presence). Others want some very explicitly designed equipment that looks and feels kinda serious for their studio.

Also, I just looked at the Launchpad Pro manual. I am a little disappointed by their notes mode implementation (requiring semitone root note change only, and being defaulted at an unchangeable Major, it appears without a fold function??). I wish they'd make use for what's becoming the standard symbol for a 'keyboard' on pad devices. The one used in the latest Push 'game', and used in mots's LP95. I really hope there can be a LP95pro !!!

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:18 pm

yur2die4 wrote:If you have Push and it works great for you, the LPpro would be redundant. (Unless of course you want a second clip launcher/notes playing device).

The APC 40 line probably fills in most gaps (has dedicated track select, mute, solo, arm, stop, and then faders and knobs).

A sleek alternative (although it is getting old and I'm curious if an mkiii is in the works!!!!) is the Novation Remote SLmkii. I usually depend on the Remote if I'm not using Push, or the Push if I'm not using the Remote.

Just don't get into the habit of constantly picking up new gear before you even understand what it does. You end up spending a lot of time and money, and taking up space.

I am completely with you 100% and done with buying anymore equipment. I took advantage of a short period of time when I had the money to get this gear. All future money goes into lessons and education. Thanks for a very wise and smart comment. I am disabled due to a horrific accident at end of 2012 that literally killed me as I was dead for 2 1/2 minutes until a navy medic showed up at the scene of accident and revived me before paramedics showed up. God was looking out for me and I am a very blessed person because I should have died that day. I broke 15 ribs, collar bone, fractured skull, had a traumatic brain injury, developed a pulmonary embolism in hospital, and spent 19 days in hospital, half the time in ICU. So I am rewarding myself with the gift of music and also honoring God because he blessed me with a talent that I never fully took advantage of. My life is now is 100% dedicated to music and I spend a minimum of 10 hours everyday, 7 days a week playing, writing and learning Ableton. It's not easy to learn due to my brain injury so that's why I take private lessons.

Stay healthy. Nothing else matters.

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:54 pm

EasyWorkflow wrote:which controller would you recommend?
Mouse.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:38 pm

ilya.soloviev wrote:
Mouse.
This controller actually works fairly well with Live, especially when used with the computer keyboard... :)

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
ilya.soloviev wrote:
Mouse.
This controller actually works fairly well with Live, especially when used with the computer keyboard... :)

Go gig live with a mouse.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:35 am

EasyWorkflow wrote: Go gig live with a mouse.
You would be surprised how many people I have actually seen do that.
And yeah, it's beyond stupid. Nothing looks more like amateur with a crack, like a guy huddled behind his laptop screen, using the mouse (or trackpad!) to trigger clips and move parameters.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:50 pm

Hey, I never said the mouse by itself was perfect. But with the keyboard!!!
(well ok, there are improvements in workflow available for the discerning professional ..... :)