The Arp also...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
conny

The Arp also...

Post by conny » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:35 am

I'm feeling a little unsure about how the arp in Live 5 works :oops:
Often when changing "Style" in the arp I don't hear any difference.
But now I'm beginning to understand that the styles are active when there are more then one note played simultaniously.
But the arp also acts on sustained, single notes.
Was just about to post a bug report but the bug is probably in my brain.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:41 am

The styles affect how a chord is sequenced. "Up" plays all notes of a chord starting from the lowest one, "Random once" creates a random pattern out of all notes in a chord and repeats this pattern till you play a new chord, "Random other" always creates new random variations of patterns out of the notes in the chord, but will not repeat the same note twice and so on. If you just play one single note the stye will not change anything since there is only one note. Hope this makes sense...

Robert Henke / Ableton

conny

Post by conny » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:47 am

A nice Ableton worker wrote:Hope this makes sense...
Very much soo!
Thank you.
//C
Bleeps and Blops!

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:33 pm

I am missing something important about using the Arp effect in Live 5. I was hoping there would be presets for various scales, broken chords and modes but there are none. Are these in the works? If not, I guess I will stick to using eXT to trigger patterns. I have the similiar question abot the chord plugin - why are there no chords listed as there are in FLS for example?

:?: :?:

Gordon

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:30 pm

Conny, check out the... manual ... there are some nice pictures that illustrate the behaviour quite well ;)

BeardedOne, the arp and chord are, for good reason without extensive scale settings - because all of that is handled quite nicely by the scale effect - try setting up a chain of arp->chord->scale - this setup is soooooper flexible, and will output some wicked stuff from time to time. If you throw in some random or velocity random you'll be in auto-chord heaven in no time. I'm working a lot with these types of device chains, so PM me if you want.

Andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:01 pm

Thanks Andreas,

I have tried and love the result of chaining these together but these are too unpredictable for my needs. I want defined arpeggios that I don't have to set up manually. Are you aware of any preset created for any of these plugins that provides a range of harmonic possibilities like Chordspace, eXT and Fruty Loops? I like to create music that relies defined modal vamps and arpeggios. I practice my guitar over these as much as I can so I need to know which modes and chords are happening.

Cheers,
Gordon

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:08 pm

beardedone wrote:I have tried and love the result of chaining these together but these are too unpredictable for my needs. I want defined arpeggios that I don't have to set up manually.
I'd agree it would be cool if the clips libs contained an array of MIDI chords. hmm... maybe a covert operator is listening in? I am tempted to say I'll assemble something like this because I've been thinking about it, and I might, but it will be a while before I get around to it.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:12 pm

I would try it but have no idea how to save them as presets or where to save them.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:34 pm

beardedone wrote:I have tried and love the result of chaining these together but these are too unpredictable for my needs. I want defined arpeggios that I don't have to set up manually.

Oh, I get it, you're not looking for an arpeggiator you interact with, you are looking for more or less locked chord progressions, right? ie, no keyboard playing? The way I understand Chordspace you would have to input either midi or click the different cells to get a chord - this is easily achieved using a chord module and a scale module in live - the real difference is in the midi velocity sliders to the right and of course the brilliant interface...

Best, Andreas

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:37 pm

mikemc wrote:
beardedone wrote:I'd agree it would be cool if the clips libs contained an array of MIDI chords. hmm... maybe a covert operator is listening in? I am tempted to say I'll assemble something like this because I've been thinking about it, and I might, but it will be a while before I get around to it.
Mike, could you be a bit more specific about this? Just chords that have been put into a clip? Chord sequences, progressions? Or Device chains? Or combinations? I could imagine chord progressions based on midi-plugins and simple one-note sequences in clips would be nice, and easily done, I suspect.

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:52 pm

Chordspace is definitely preferrable. It does arps as well as chords.

hoffman2k

Re: The Arp also...

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:14 am

conny wrote:I'm feeling a little unsure about how the arp in Live 5 works :oops:
Often when changing "Style" in the arp I don't hear any difference.
But now I'm beginning to understand that the styles are active when there are more then one note played simultaniously.
But the arp also acts on sustained, single notes.
Was just about to post a bug report but the bug is probably in my brain.

// C
Hey Conny.

I made some presets that can give you a better idea of the styles.
Switch the styles in these presets to hear the difference.
Remember that the chord plugin has a velocity setting :wink:

http://users.telenet.be/Vayner/Midi%20e ... groups.zip

Cheers

conny

Post by conny » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:12 pm

The Santa of Presets!
Thanks!

// C
Bleeps and Blops!