HELP: Buying a second hand Macbook Pro

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
prestondj

Re: HELP: Buying a second hand Macbook Pro

Post by prestondj » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Sorry for the bump, but lately my macbook is getting hot, with just google chrome running and itunes.

No DAWs or Traktor open, it used to just get hot but now it gets hot and loud barely doing much, anyway to make the computer healthier or things to check? I might clear some more movies of HD, but really don't think thats the issue.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:16 pm

Google Chrome is a pig on OS X.

open the Activity Monitor, get it to show "All processes" and check for any other processes that might be using lots of CPU. if there are none, then most likely the cooling system of the machine is clogged up with dust and fluff. in that case you need to open it up and give it a bit of a clean out...

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:11 am

prestondj wrote:I ended up getting a Macbook Pro 2010 270GB 4GB RAM, Judging by the small writing on the back i had originally thought it might of been 2012 when i clicked about this mac. Got it for $745, turns out the battery is supposed to be replaced after 500 cycles on further analysis the battery has had 583.

One usb was having issues , but i dusted it a little and seemed to work. The battery will still last for a decent 3 hours, which is just enough for me flying around Australia to produce. However thats not as good as i was getting out of my old one. My dad seems to think he can replace the battery himself changing the standard 4200 battery to a 6200 one.

I heard rumours that the later ones are hard to upgrade the RAM and I am hoping i can upgrade it to 16GB ram also. Or i might just save up for a brand new one, the best one you can get at 13inch. I would love to have the latest version of Mac Os X 10.7.5. Was lucky enough to get it with Microsoft word package inclusive.

I feel a little upset the battery is due for a replacement , however i got the laptop in the package deal and was able to pick up a DJM 800 for a modest $250.
The parts on the non-retina MBP are very easy to replace. You will have no trouble replacing the battery.
Double check the RAM, depending on if you have the 15" or the 13" you may not be able to go to 16gb (i *THINK* the 13" can go to 16gb, but the 15" cannot)
If that 270GB is an SSD, that machine will do quite well for you. I just built up a 2010 15" with 8gb and an SSD and it is a great machine for its age.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:13 am

fishmonkey wrote:Google Chrome is a pig on OS X.
This is true. My coworkers make fun of me for using Safari, but man these days Chrome is a total hog.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:19 am

hacktheplanet wrote:
This is true. My coworkers make fun of me for using Safari, but man these days Chrome is a total hog.
I think you may have missed the memo that Firefox is fast and brilliant on OS X again. Safari is allright, but Firefox is sweet. I have eradicated Chrome from my machine and my default search engine is duckduckgo.com.
Make some music!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:31 am

Stromkraft wrote:
hacktheplanet wrote:
I think you may have missed the memo that Firefox is fast and brilliant on OS X again. Safari is allright, but Firefox is sweet. I have eradicated Chrome from my machine and my default search engine is duckduckgo.com.
Firefox is okay now, but it still regularly goes into pig mode if you tend to keep a lot of tabs open. one better thing about Safari is that when in the background OS X can put it to sleep.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:57 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
I think you may have missed the memo that Firefox is fast and brilliant on OS X again. Safari is allright, but Firefox is sweet.
Firefox is okay now, but it still regularly goes into pig mode if you tend to keep a lot of tabs open. one better thing about Safari is that when in the background OS X can put it to sleep.
Perhaps if you don't use something like Flash Control and Ad Blocker that could be a problem. But I digress.
Make some music!

prestondj

Post by prestondj » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:59 pm

I might give Firefox a go then :)

Also , i am a little scared of opening up the macbook, but have a feeling the fans are clogged cause every now and then do come back on again and it helps cool. I also have this issue with my trackpad moving like a ghost, to solve this i just put settings so when a mouspad is in trackpad is disable however, this issue could just be dust as well.

Will i be able to quickly clean out fans taking just back cover off?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:45 pm

I was going to suggest opening it up and vacuuming it out. ifixit.com probably has an easy guide for this.

prestondj

Post by prestondj » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:45 am

Tarekith wrote:I was going to suggest opening it up and vacuuming it out. ifixit.com probably has an easy guide for this.
Done and it really feels like the temperature is better? Has not heated up since this. However now when i click WIFI up the top status bar, it says WIFI - hardware not installed. This is really a blessing in disguise as when I am in my room, i am free from distractions Facebook, Email, youtube etc. I just run the hardwire cable in the other room now so i can break the 2 tasks up :)

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:04 am

prestondj wrote:
Tarekith wrote:I was going to suggest opening it up and vacuuming it out. ifixit.com probably has an easy guide for this.
Done and it really feels like the temperature is better? Has not heated up since this. However now when i click WIFI up the top status bar, it says WIFI - hardware not installed. This is really a blessing in disguise as when I am in my room, i am free from distractions Facebook, Email, youtube etc. I just run the hardwire cable in the other room now so i can break the 2 tasks up :)
you've probably dislodged the cable to the wifi card.

btw, if and when you clean it out again, blowing it out with cans of compressed air is better and safer than using a vacuum...

prestondj

Post by prestondj » Tue May 17, 2016 3:48 am

Hey guys the computer finally broke! Should of listened to you guys but meh it got me by :)!

Now i have half paid of a layby at JB Hi Fi, https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tab ... gb/697046/

However , i may just get my money back cancel it as i am waiting for the announcement apparently there might be some new ones come out soon?

braduro

Post by braduro » Tue May 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Now that you can find many on the secondary market, do you think the marginal difference in price makes it worthwhile to hold out for the 2012 i7 2.9ghtz, which is difficult to find close to new at a comparable price, and the 2012 i5 2.5ghtz which you can find very readily, practically good as new?

Again, if you find it, the price difference is more like $150-$200 these days, but it's rare that with this difference you'd get an i7 with a hardly-touched battery/over-boiled logic board/scuffs and dings/etc.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 17, 2016 10:12 pm

prestondj wrote:Hey guys the computer finally broke! Should of listened to you guys but meh it got me by :)!

Now i have half paid of a layby at JB Hi Fi, https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tab ... gb/697046/

However , i may just get my money back cancel it as i am waiting for the announcement apparently there might be some new ones come out soon?
IMO a 4-core i7 (the 15") is always the better option, even if second hand. I got a second hand 2011 MBP last month.

The best time to get a MBP is always now. There will always be new ones coming. When you want to move up you sell your old one and get a newer machine, brand new from the store or second hand.
Make some music!

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Fri May 20, 2016 10:42 am

Having read this thread, any slither of interest in buying a second-hand Macbook has evaporated.

I shall wait until June's updates and prepare to punish my bank account.