My audio tracks are completely out of sync - any thoughts?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
br.ian.na

My audio tracks are completely out of sync - any thoughts?

Post by br.ian.na » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:06 am

Hi guys,

First off, I am very new to Ableton, so please bare with me! As of right now, I am working on two audio tracks: 1 with my guitar and the other with vocals. After I am done, although it was on time as I was recording live, when I go to play it back, the tracks are totally out of sync with one another.

Does anyone know if there is a specific preference specific to this scenario that I should be configuring before hand so my audios are synchronized?

Thanks,
br.ian.na

Tarekith

Re: My audio tracks are completely out of sync - any thoughts?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:50 am

Check and make sure the start markers in the audio clips are all the way at the beginning of the file. Turn off warping for both clips too if you don't need it.

br.ian.na

Post by br.ian.na » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:28 pm

I will try that later today Erik, thank you!!

br.ian.na

Post by br.ian.na » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:34 am

So I tried out what was suggested above but got nothing..... hmmm. Thanks so much for all the help so far. I am a 'live' artist recording with her voice and microphone so I am not super tech savvy, so if anyone has a solution to this problem and can put it in layman's terms that would be amazing!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:40 am

PM me your email, I can take a look at it for you. Impossible to say what the issue is without seeing the project file.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:12 am

Could Ableton be auto-warping the recorded files?

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:27 am

...have you set up the "driver error compensation" in ableton's preferences?...
macbook pro late 2016, osx 10.13.6, rme multiface via sonnet thunderbolt expresscard adapter + thunderbolt to usb-c adapter, ableton live 10.0.1, push 2, komplete 9, maschine 2.7.6, touchable

Stevejaz

Post by Stevejaz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:43 am

Yes my first though was a latency issue, though it should be the same on both tracks. Bit hard to know how far out "completely" is but have you tried playing around with the little 'Track Delay' setting below at the bottom of the channel strip. (in session view)
Little button lower right hand of screen turns it on if you can't see it. [D]

owlmerlyn

Post by owlmerlyn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:43 am

Maybe try test the delay "scientificallY"

If you have an external midi synth then create a few bars of a simple 4/4 quantised hit (e.g. kick or snare) and then record a few bars of it. Then record a second track of the same.

Are the two tracks in sync? Are the Midi notes and audio of the same instrument in sync? If not how far out from each other are the various Midi and audio tracks?

If you don't have an external unit, using an internal soft synth routed through the physical outputs and back in should do the trick as well.

Like some have said the Delay Compensation should ensure this doesn't happen. But having said that I often experience delays on my Midi tracks... but not my audio tracks

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:48 am

what kind of computer and audio interface are you using?

are you recording the guitar and vocals at the same time, or are you recording one first and then overdubbing the other?
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here