Splice sample subscription service

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
beats me

Splice sample subscription service

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:01 pm

https://splice.com/features/sounds

I think this site just used to be a way to collaborate on music with others but recently they introduced a sample download subscription service.

$7.99 – 100 sample downloads a month
$14.99 – 300 sample downloads a month (read that mentioned elsewhere but don’t see this tier on the site for some reason)

Might be great for people who don’t already have a massive sample library and/or want to really micromanage what they have instead of buying entire libraries, 80% of which they will never use.

Steve Glen

Re: Splice sample subscription service

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:16 am

yeah, interesting!!!

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:57 pm

One of the issues I see is I think it would be very difficult to pick drum samples out of context. It would be nice if they provided some kind of browser step sequencer preprogrammed or open to create your own pattern so you can hear the samples in an actual beat before you download them.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:03 pm

So I subscribed. Haven’t downloaded anything yet but spent some time creating playlists to review for download later. It’s really making me realize how many sounds in libraries I will probably never use.

There’s some libraries I was considering buying before this service and I’m glad I didn’t because giving me full preview access is showing me all the samples I wouldn’t use. On the flip side I’m finding a lot of loops and samples I would use that are in libraries I wouldn’t have bought and/or aren’t the main focus of the library, like stabs or short vocals that were just tossed in a break beat library.