External effects with KP3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EnoHeap

External effects with KP3

Post by EnoHeap » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi,

I want to use my Kaoss Pad 3 as an external audio effects with Ableton, but I am really confused on what audio interface/mixer to get. Like how many inputs and outputs do I need? If possible could someone show me a setup of something similar?

Thanks!

(Sorry for being stupid in advance!)

Korhan

Re: External effects with KP3

Post by Korhan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi

You need to have an audio interface that has at least four outputs and two inputs: two outputs are routed to the KP3 (using Live's Sends, for example) and the KP3's audio goes to the two inputs. The other two outputs are your main outputs.
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

EnoHeap

Post by EnoHeap » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:58 pm

Korhan wrote:Hi

You need to have an audio interface that has at least four outputs and two inputs: two outputs are routed to the KP3 (using Live's Sends, for example) and the KP3's audio goes to the two inputs. The other two outputs are your main outputs.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So would like the Roland Quad Capture do then? Or anything you would recommend. I've been looking at the Complete Audio 6, but for me it's a bit pricey

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:01 pm

2 in *4* out, quad looks like a 2x2, you need an extra output pair because you're creating a loop out from the interface, into the kp3, and back out from the kp3 into the inputs on the interface. Whatever you get, make sure there are at least 4 audio outputs.

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:14 am

I cannot recommend you a specific audio interface, but as I said, you need at least four outs and two inputs. The rest depends on your budget, computer.
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:01 am

Since the OPs question is answered, I'll hijack this thread for a bit.

I've been thinking about getting a KP3 Pro too, but not so much as a production tool, but as a live effects processor. (so routing it back to Live is not necessary)
But I started to wonder if I would not be better served in this regard by just getting an iPad for this. (which I don't have yet).

Are there apps that can serve as live effects processors and loopers in the same way the KP can?
So taking in audio from my soundcard and outputting it processed to my mixer.

If so, what kind of latency can I expect compared to the KP option?

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:12 am

Hi Tom,

I've been using the iPad as a controller and a sampler/sample-playback tool for a while now. I use Lemur for controller tasks and Samplr/Borderlands for sampling, playback, sample processing. Neither of these apps work on live input. There are many apps that do work on live input. But...

the iPad's screen is basically glass and is not actually very good for live playing. Sweaty fingers, dust, etc all effect your playing, especially if you want to make fast changes. Kaosspad touch pads are much much better. Even KP2's surface is superior to the iPad. The iPad has only the advantage of being multitouch, but then, during performance, you'll probably not be able to use this all the time.

the iPad's screen is flat, has no markings.. you actually have to look at it during performance to do something with it. Most of the apps I know have small knobs for control which are basically unusable for live performance. The Kaosspads are physical, tactile units. They have preset buttons for instant program changes. The touchpad has edges. your finger cannot go beyond the pad. You cannot touch some other control by accident.

As far as I know there is no iPad app that provides the sampling and processing capabilities of a KP3. You can build a collection of concurrently running apps using Audiobus, but then you can only see / control one app at a time.

iPad's multitouch shines with Samplr. It is a great tool for live sampling. It has six sample slots where the sample can be played back in myriad ways and each slot has its own distortion, filter (LP HP), amplitude modulation, delay and reverb. There is also a parameter automation recorder.

Borderlands is also cool, but does only sample granulation. It's pretty good at that and has some very useful performance features.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks for your input Korhan, I think you successfully talked me out of the iPad :mrgreen:

Btw, do you have a link to your music? I would like to listen to some of it, as it sounds interesting to me how you describe what you do.

And I'm in Berlin too, so if you like to hang out and jam someday, send me a PM 8)

Ps. The music in my link is not representative anymore of what I do. Nowadays I have melodies, basslines, 4/4 beats, the whole EDM shebang. (Though I don't worry myself with what sub-genre I'd fall into 8) )
Last edited by TomViolenz on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:39 am

My pleasure

Samplr is an app that you cannot recreate on a computer though. I think you should check it out. Being able to play different sections of a sample at the same time using fingers can be very powerful. You can even arpeggiate slices of samples. It runs on an 2nd gen iPad.

My website is korhanerel.com Let me know what you think.

This summer I am a bit busy and jamming depends on the music you make - not if I like it or not, but if I have something to add to it :) In any case, we can definitely get together for a drink and talk. I play at Sowieso on Aug 6 and at the Greenhouse/Bonobo Bar on the 12th.

Bis bald!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:51 am

Korhan wrote:My pleasure

Samplr is an app that you cannot recreate on a computer though. I think you should check it out. Being able to play different sections of a sample at the same time using fingers can be very powerful. You can even arpeggiate slices of samples. It runs on an 2nd gen iPad.
I checked it earlier when you mentioned it in the other thread. Looks interesting, but doesn't fit into my workflow atm.

My website is korhanerel.com Let me know what you think.
looks good, though I had to disable no script for it, which I don't like to do. But that's just me and my paranoid self. 8)

This summer I am a bit busy and jamming depends on the music you make - not if I like it or not, but if I have something to add to it :)
Does it though?! I love crossing boundaries when just jaming for the hell of it. You learn a new perspective either way.

But yeah, my previous work is in the soundcloud link below, and what me and my band mate cook up nowadays, goes more into the EDM direction, but we like to mix it up and go crazy (sometimes almost literaly 8O )
We definetely are into improv too.

In any case, we can definitely get together for a drink and talk. I play at Sowieso on Aug 6 and at the Greenhouse/Bonobo Bar on the 12th.

Bis bald!
Cool, Sowieso is in my Kiez, so I'll definetly check in 8)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:12 pm

Tom, check out Flux:FX, really wild effects processing and I believe they added more looping recently too.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Tarekith wrote:Tom, check out Flux:FX, really wild effects processing and I believe they added more looping recently too.
Lookes very interesting and VERY deep.
In fact it it's so deep it shows all the downsides Korhan mentioned above. It's lots of small controls with many options which would have me looking at the screen all the time instead of the sort of blind playing I could do on the KP.

If I were working out of the box, with lots of external synths etc. that would definitely be something to look at for the studio as an effects unit.

But for live playing the K.I.S.S principle applies, and this looks everything but simple.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Once you set up your presets the way you want (assuming you don't like the included ones), it's mainly just an XY pad though. You don't have to use the other controls on stage, there's even a mode that hides those.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:21 pm

I see. Yeah I saw the bigger xy pad. If I ever get an iPad, I will get this too. But Korhan convinced me that it is not a KP replacement for the smooth and worry free live play that I desire.
And I do usually look with mockery at all these performers constantly looking at small iPad screens laying flat on the table while frantically rubbing its surface. I guess, in all honesty, I wanted to be talked out of it :mrgreen:

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:40 pm

This summer I am a bit busy and jamming depends on the music you make - not if I like it or not, but if I have something to add to it :)
Does it though?! I love crossing boundaries when just jaming for the hell of it. You learn a new perspective either way.

But yeah, my previous work is in the soundcloud link below, and what me and my band mate cook up nowadays, goes more into the EDM direction, but we like to mix it up and go crazy (sometimes almost literaly 8O )
We definetely are into improv too.
I do not mean that it has to fit any specific genre. I have played with jazz, rock, turkish classical music, folk music, etc bands before. I'll check your stuff out definitely.

In any case, we can definitely get together for a drink and talk. I play at Sowieso on Aug 6 and at the Greenhouse/Bonobo Bar on the 12th.

Bis bald!

Cool, Sowieso is in my Kiez, so I'll definetly check in 8)
See you next week, then! Please introduce yourself even when you hate the music and want to leave early :)))))