Surface 3 Bitwig prototype

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dna598

Surface 3 Bitwig prototype

Post by dna598 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:19 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoBSP5Pnmps

im looking at you Ableton...what you got up your sleeve?
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

pinkpaint

Re: Surface 3 Bitwig prototype

Post by pinkpaint » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 am

-1 last thing i want to see is devs waste their time on touch screens. I have been in studios where they tried the raven mti and even more basic lenovo touch screens and let me just say it sounds a lot cooler than it actually is. Theres a reason the mouse and keyboard have barely changed since the dawn of the computer. it works.

-1 just to be clear.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:24 am

Pinkpaint. The problem is that developers are not spending ENOUGH time on touch interfaces to make them work.

In due time. ;) like it or not.

Edit: hole-hee fuck. I just watched the vid. This is what I've wanted. I guess I'm getting Bitwig now.

mreid

Post by mreid » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:36 am

dna598 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoBSP5Pnmps

im looking at you Ableton...what you got up your sleeve?
I've been using Touchable 3 for a while now and it is excellent if you want a multitouch way of interacting with Live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cYzdABT2Vc

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:44 am

Yeah but it isn't actually Ableton Live. It is just a remote app. Live itself needs to at Least be multitouch.

It also needs the option to trigger the clips in session view in a 'touch' mode.

The notes thing in that Bitwig was just icing on the cake :P
(I like icing ;) )

login

Post by login » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:39 am

Given Ableton history I think they would focus on developing a GUI for touch screens, and it will probably take some years, maybe for Live 11.

I think it will be done sometime specially when Apple puts touchscreens on mbp or they bring out a convertible laptop.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:38 am

That's too late.

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:46 am

Its not just the touch interface itself thats frustrating. I own push and Live suite 9, so I'm pretty committed to Live and I've only taken a cursory glance at bitwig out of curiosity, yet even I can tell you bitwig are working on a cool sounding modular environment and a touch interface, both of which sound interesting and inspiring.

Guess how many interesting and inspiring things ableton are working on that I know of the top of my head, as a user with pretty much everything they have on the market sat in front of me and visiting their website every couple of days..... yeah zero.

Thats what I find frustrating.

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:34 pm

yur2die4 wrote:...The problem is that developers are not spending ENOUGH time on touch interfaces to make them work. In due time. ;) like it or not.
Have to agree with this :!: . I've been using a Surface to control some other DAWs that support multi-touch (via Remote Desktop). It is far from perfect but I've been mostly positive about the experience. When I look at the march of progress with DAWs in general I see that same path applied to multi-touch control surfaces.

I do miss the tactile sense that I get from a physical devices widgets (knobs, faders and such) but after a while I started get more accurate with my Surface.
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:57 pm

bytheriver, my only complaint is the multitouch/touchscreen support. Live is a great program and gets most jobs done. It is just that as a sketchpad or live performance tool, it'd be much more inviting if it had at least basic multitouch support.

I don't know if I have much to say about 'innovation' or application of the Push device. I am focused primarily on this one thing. I'm sure once all the other companies have it, they'll have no choice haha

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:23 pm

bytheriver wrote:Guess how many interesting and inspiring things ableton are working on that I know of the top of my head, as a user with pretty much everything they have on the market sat in front of me and visiting their website every couple of days..... yeah zero.

Thats what I find frustrating.
Well there was the recent behind the scenes video which had some interesting features being actively explored. At least, they weren't just kicking back counting bills.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:17 pm

When it comes to adding features, an important thing to remember is that they don't want to regret it, or have to backtrack in its implementation. Not every single feature we fantasize about is ideal for Live. And they have to filter it down to, what's essential, what's future proof, convenient, and what could be implemented by users who want it badly enough via coding, or what would essentially couple their intended direction.

Not that I'm entirely excusing them :P but just because we see a large meeting for innovation, it doesn't mean they haven't Been trying or that things will suddenly change. A lot of thought must be put into making Live as elegant as it is.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:50 am

Yeah, I tried bitwig and it wasn't ready for me anyway.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection