NI's new 'stems' files in Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pinkpaint

Re: NI's new 'stems' files in Live?

Post by pinkpaint » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:23 pm

stem files = why

if your a DJ you already collect accapellas and drum loops..

you even have bass groves and stuff..

i just see this as a way to make money of DJs that don't know this stuff already exists (and existing in a way where most of it is free)

Even top Djs release vocals and drum loops and stuff from their album.. calvin harris even did it with his most recent album.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:45 pm

You really don’t see the difference between hunting down and collecting a bunch of random isolated tracks and a track that is in a single file that plays all the isolated tracks in sync for the entire song?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:06 pm

the difference is it takes that actual work/fun out of being a DJ, right? "digging in the crates", "beat matching"... pfft! that's for old timers.

if you really want to stay ahead of the curve, stop doing anything and leave music making to algorithms.

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:14 pm

H20nly wrote:the difference is it takes that actual work/fun out of being a DJ, right? "digging in the crates", "beat matching"... pfft! that's for old timers.

if you really want to stay ahead of the curve, stop doing anything and leave music making to algorithms.

Surely the point of these files is to give DJs more creative tools? I don't see how you can suggest stem-files is making DJs do less, the whole point of it (aside from higher £ for tracks!) is the DJ has more control and can 'perform' more. Maybe I missed sarcasm?

Beat matching is great fun, and if you do it with vinyl takes some skill, but in terms of actually creating something it doesn't add anything you don't get from clicking 'sync' on a laptop, at least this new stem file uses the tech in the DJ booth to do something new and with some creative possibilities.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:04 pm

bytheriver wrote:
H20nly wrote:the difference is it takes that actual work/fun out of being a DJ, right? "digging in the crates", "beat matching"... pfft! that's for old timers.

Surely the point of these files is to give DJs more creative tools? I don't see how you can suggest stem-files is making DJs do less, the whole point of it (aside from higher £ for tracks!) is the DJ has more control and can 'perform' more. Maybe I missed sarcasm?

Beat matching is great fun, and if you do it with vinyl takes some skill, but in terms of actually creating something it doesn't add anything you don't get from clicking 'sync' on a laptop, at least this new stem file uses the tech in the DJ booth to do something new and with some creative possibilities.

Sarcasm abounds in here.

Technology always advances things. The “problem”, if you want to call it that, is a majority of the population will use it to be lazy about a former needed skilled manual task and then not even explore the creative possibilities that opens up for them.

Now that you don’t need to manually beat match, how many DJs do you think use that free time to build elaborate stacks/edits/effects compared to the amount of DJs who instead now use that time to fist pump the air?

But the same ignorance/fear of new technology can be said of old school DJs. They hide behind manual beat matching because that is their comfort zone that also makes them feel superior simply for not using the sync button.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:17 am

I agree with both of you, I was being sarcastic; however, I will go on record as saying that beat matching takes a lot more skill than pressing the sync button. true story.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:38 pm

I think in the beginning it can lead to a different kind of shit track with a rush for producers to release in the new format coupled with DJs wanting more tracks in the new format. It’s a whole new level of preview where the listener may completely hate an element but hear possibilities with others. Prepare for a different type of copyright battle now too.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:05 am

LFO8 wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Wow, you must have a really low opinion of your fellow producers 8O
Not every producer out there is my 'fellow producer'.
Well, as long as you consider yourself a producer, then yes, by the definition of that expression, they all are.
There is no value judgement contained in that term.

But pedantry aside, your post made it sound like the producers that even you would consider "fellow" producers, because I assume you think they make good tracks, would stop doing so because of this new method.

I find that exceedingly cynical, as that would suggest that they only made good tracks before for practical reasons and as soon as these practical reasons changed, they'd stop caring about making good tracks.

That's a pretty low opinion you have of these "fellow" producers IMO.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:55 pm

TomViolenz wrote:But pedantry aside, your post made it sound like the producers that even you would consider "fellow" producers, because I assume you think they make good tracks, would stop doing so because of this new method.
I was reading it more as producers that are already making shit tracks are going to make a new level of shit tracks, not that producers you like are all of sudden going to get lazy and spew out stem turds.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:42 pm

If an artist blatantly abuses premade loops and samples, they'd better make sure to keep their tracks nice and thick (lots of material) in each channel, so as not to be giving away loops from vendors.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:47 am

LFO8 wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:8)

But then there is really nothing lost, is there?!

Except for the increased volume of mediocrity we have to go sift through in search for new, good music.
Oh but see, this will separate the wheat from the shaft amongst the DJs regarding their core competency (track selection) again. So it's a win - win :mrgreen: 8)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:07 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Oh but see, this will separate the wheat from the shaft
:lol: what are you making cream of wheat with?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:08 pm

H20nly wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Oh but see, this will separate the wheat from the shaft
:lol: what are you making cream of wheat with?
chaff, I meant to write chaff, I swear, damn fat fingers :oops: