How to use two MacBook laptops splitting Monitors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
twistedjazz

How to use two MacBook laptops splitting Monitors

Post by twistedjazz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:24 am

Hi

I am using a MacBook laptop working on Ableton Live 9 and have recently bought another MacBook (same model and year) and have been trying to figure out how to connect these two laptops together to split the Monitor and be able to use one session, ie. arrangement view on one and the session view on the other monitor
I've tried screen sharing but did not like it is there any other way to do this please???
:?

hacktheplanet

Re: How to use two MacBook laptops splitting Monitors

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:57 pm

Buy an external display for like $80.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:28 pm

Are these laptops synced together when running live?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

twistedjazz

Post by twistedjazz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Yes, they are on the same network one is Master the other Slave

dsu

Post by dsu » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:39 am

Not sure why you are using two Macs but I can see some serious problems.

If both Mac's are opening the same project file and you make different changes to the project file on each Mac, when you save the file. the last file saved will overwrite that changes in the first file saved.

My understanding is that in version 9 live supported dual monitors (never tried I only have space for one) so you should be able to have session window on one monitor and the arrange window on another.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:52 am

Dsu is rig
dsu wrote: My understanding is that in version 9 live supported dual monitors (never tried I only have space for one) so you should be able to have session window on one monitor and the arrange window on another.
I do this all the time, just put a second monitor and have session view on one screen, arrangement view on the other!

If you really want to use 2 computers, you would need a midi controller with the midi signal split to the 2 computers (midi solutions, or iconnect does that) so they stay in sync...

Good luck
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

twistedjazz

Post by twistedjazz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:44 am

It would be silly making separate changes on each laptop and the idea is to use the second one purely as a split monitor instead of getting a monitor if you know what I mean
Also it can act as a slave for gigs ect

I will have to try hdmi on this and see if I can get it connected that way

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:48 am

Apple has a native thing called 'Target Display Mode', but afaik it only works on iMacs. You could get a video input device like the Elgato Video Capture and capture via USB. You could also use screen sharing over a Thunderbolt network connection.... But most of your options are still going to be more expensive, have more latency, and be more of a workaround that just buying a cheap used display on eBay or Craigslist.

I guess you could also find some sort of Airplay receiver app, but this would still use a network connection or Bluetooth, so you'd still be subject to latency.

twistedjazz

Post by twistedjazz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:48 am

Thanks for pointing me to the AirPlay receiver apps @hacktheplanet I found Avatron's Air Display, which did exactly what I wanted wicked!!! Nice 1