iZotope Iris 2 vs. Granulator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JDFS

iZotope Iris 2 vs. Granulator

Post by JDFS » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:31 pm

So normally I tend to stay away from such comparisons... But since reading a couple of articles and seeing videos of Iris in action, how does it compare to Granulator?

I am using Granulator with great passion and want to stay with Live's native devices or M4L-devices. But something keeps me wondering that I am missing out on Iris.

stringtapper

Re: iZotope Iris 2 vs. Granulator

Post by stringtapper » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:04 pm

They're different beasts. Granulator is obviously a granular synth, while Iris is something unique.

In some ways it's just a bare bones sampler, but what makes it special is the spectral view that they took from their other product, RX, that allows you to select only the frequency content that you want from a sample. So you can do things like vary the frequency content over time much like a filter that you draw in yourself.

The interface has tools that are similar to what you see in Photoshop and other graphics programs that allow you to visually select frequency content in different ways.
Unsound Designer

Tomsk

Post by Tomsk » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:41 am

If you want a good granular alternative to granulator, try Density. There is a M4L version which I use. I personally prefer it to granulator, it gets much more use and just fits with my expectations of what granular synthesis can achieve. That said it also approaches things quite differently so the 2 complement each other quite nicely. I think there is a demo version of Density, it's a standalone app, but the M4L version does pretty much the same and is stable very well designed.

login

Post by login » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Other interesting granular are The Mangle and Padshop Pro. The mangle has nice modulation options and can layer up to 7 samples.

Padshop pro can make grains from up to 4 points so it's good for "clouds" and it is very musical.