How do I copy parts from 1 project to another?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
buckman

How do I copy parts from 1 project to another?

Post by buckman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:29 am

How do I do this exactly?

I have heard you can open two projects at once (I'm on Mac OS X) and drag and drop between them both?

I am doing a mix album and my mix ideas and transitions are all over about 9 other project files .als -

Now I want to drag drop (its all audio sequences) into a new Final Project and edit in order and drop in order?

Whats the best way of doing this in Ableton Live Suite 9.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.9.5

Thanks

Richie Witch

Re: How do I copy parts from 1 project to another?

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:41 am

Unless this was something they changed just recently, I'm not aware of any way to open two projects at once. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I missed it.

As a workaround, try creating a new folder in your Live browser. Open each project you want to copy from and drag-and-drop each clip into that new folder. When you get them all copied to that folder, you can open up the target project and drag them in from the browser.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

buckman

Post by buckman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:19 pm

Thanks, dragging the audio clips, does this retain the 'sequence' too? (this is the main part of the audio I need) several loops and tracks, in a sequencer (from arrange view)

is this possible?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:09 pm

It's fortunately very easy to copy parts from one project into another.

Open the project you want to work on, or a blank one if it's more suitable.
In Live's browser, navigate to another project that has parts you need, and with the little arrows, unfold that project. You should see the tracks for that project just like presets and clips etc. Return tracks and the Master track cannot be dragged over though.

Select all the tracks with the parts you want, and drag them into the current project, either between existing tracks, or into open blank space in the Session or Arrangement area. They should load with everything exactly how it was in the earlier project, including arrangement data, except that groups are excluded as are Send amounts.

Repeat if any other projects contain parts you need.

I do this a lot - incredibly time-saving and useful.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:24 pm

tedlogan wrote:It's fortunately very easy to copy parts from one project into another.

Open the project you want to work on, or a blank one if it's more suitable.
In Live's browser, navigate to another project that has parts you need, and with the little arrows, unfold that project. You should see the tracks for that project just like presets and clips etc. Return tracks and the Master track cannot be dragged over though.

Select all the tracks with the parts you want, and drag them into the current project, either between existing tracks, or into open blank space in the Session or Arrangement area. They should load with everything exactly how it was in the earlier project, including arrangement data, except that groups are excluded as are Send amounts.

Repeat if any other projects contain parts you need.

I do this a lot - incredibly time-saving and useful.

Yeah also MIDI mapping data is not transferred over, but this is the best way to combine projects.