Problem with value scaling - Novation Launchkey

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jobsworth

Problem with value scaling - Novation Launchkey

Post by Jobsworth » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:40 am

I have set the first rotary control on the Launchkey to map to the project tempo. This is with the InControl mode off for the rotaries.

However if I turn on InControl for the rotaries, move the first pot and then turn off InControl the project tempo jumps as if value scaling was not on.

It should just pick up from what ever the tempo is at.

Is there anything I can do about this?

timday

Re: Problem with value scaling - Novation Launchkey

Post by timday » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:05 pm

Not 1005 sure what you mean but -

In Ableton, Pickup Mode and Value Scaling are alternatives, you set them from the MIDI preferences under the control surfaces but above the MIDI I/O. Pickup mode does what I think you want to do (picks up a value when the cc sweeps past it) and value scaling makes the parameter jump to wherever the cc controller happens to be as soon as you touch the knob without having to sweep past the pickup point, in other words whenever it recieves a cc message it will go straight to that value. You can't do both at once because they are different behaviours of the same thing.

If what you mean by value scaling is that you want to set the range of the controller you do this in the MIDI map on the left hand side.

Apologies if I have completely misunderstood and this is stuff you already know.

Jobsworth

Post by Jobsworth » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:43 am

I thought value scaling was meant to avoid jumps by changing a value from whatever the start position of the controller is.

What you describe e.g it jumping to the value of where the controller is at is the behavaiour I am experiencing in both normal and value scaling mode.

timday

Post by timday » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:19 am

Value scaling is where the value of the parameter will go to wherever the pot is, usually as soon as you touch the dial, i.e. the value of the parameter is scaled to the range of the pot. It works better with endless enccoders like on Nocturns or Impulses because then whenever you tweak the encoder it just changes value smoothly from wherever the parameter is.

AFAIK Launchkeys don't have endless encoders so probably what you want is pickup mode where when you sweep the pot past the value of the parameter, it picks up from there without jumping.

If you go to MIDI preferences in Ableton, under the control surfaces, there's a drop down box called "takeover mode", put that into pickup mode that should do it.

If you are setting the mode in incontrol, it's possible that you have a conflict between the modes and the Ableton mode is different from the InControl one?

Mezotar

Post by Mezotar » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:46 am

I'm late but just to be clear here - Jobsworth was right and timday you shouldn't give an advice unless you're 100% sure what are you talking about. Value scaling is, exactly as Jobsworth said, a feature that's there to avoid jumping. Why on earth would be it's function to make faders and knobs jump? More so when you consider that it is actually exactly the way how knobs and faders work without any takeover. Unfortunatelly i experience the same thing as Jobsworth. Sometimes it jumps even with value scaling on. I came to realization that motorized faders, or at least endless encoders are a must. Normal controlls just suck :!:

timday

Post by timday » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Except, from your description, it seems as if value scaling is workng as I described not as you would like it to be on non endless encoders. I'm pretty sure that means I do know what I'm talking about. If you want to avoid jumping on non endless encoders, that's what pickup mode is for. Anyway, whatever.