Final word on freezing Rewire tracks in Live5?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
braj

Final word on freezing Rewire tracks in Live5?

Post by braj » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:11 pm

So, is it possible to freeze Rewire tracks, and if not directly, can you route the audio into another track and freeze it? This would be sort of like rendering using freeze. Since you can still mix it it would still be useful.

Anyway, this is something I hope to do a lot, so as clear an idea of what's possible would be nice.

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:14 pm

dunno, us non beta testers are still trying to figure out if you can timestretch in Live :wink:
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

braj

Post by braj » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:16 pm

futureproof wrote:dunno, us non beta testers are still trying to figure out if you can timestretch in Live :wink:
Yeah, what's timestretch again?

Martyn

Re: Final word on freezing Rewire tracks in Live5?

Post by Martyn » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:24 pm

braj wrote:So, is it possible to freeze Rewire tracks?
No

diverdee

Post by diverdee » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:21 pm

that's dissapointing, & a strange ommission I feel, as a lot of people use reason & Live in conjunction.
Why is it that rewire tracks can't be frozen? I only ask as i have frozen rewire tracks using tracktion for instance.
Is it some kind of technical issue? & if so would it be possible for an explanation of what that issue is (bearing in mind that other software does achieve this) & would it ber possible for this to be implemented in a future update?

braj

Post by braj » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:31 pm

Can anyone verify if my idea to re-route the Rewire track to a third audio track will allow a freeze? It isn't elegant but hopefully it will work.

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:15 pm

it does work. just turn on monitoring on the track so you can hear the audio from Reason, then arm the track, then hit a record button on one of the clip slots, then stop ot when your done recording. that's all there is to it.

braj

Post by braj » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:29 pm

Livewire wrote:it does work. just turn on monitoring on the track so you can hear the audio from Reason, then arm the track, then hit a record button on one of the clip slots, then stop ot when your done recording. that's all there is to it.

Yeah, sure :roll: of course that works. But I was looking for a way to do that with maybe 6 tracks at one without having to go back and edit the clips etc. Doing it via freeze would be quicker when dealing with multiple tracks. Well, ok, you have to set up all those tracks I guess, maybe not a great work around.

Ableton, please implement freeze for all tracks. Or maybe an automated 'clip' render? (which seems like you are 90% there anyway)

Thanks.

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:37 pm

well how would Live know how long you want the clip? it cant read you're mind you know. you know that right?

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:55 pm

Hey, Diverdee!

The reason that Tracktion can do this is because it implements the audio return on the same track as the MIDI output, unlike Live. However, this is actually couterintuitive in that it hides the process that is actually going on :wink: ... and there are some "bad" consequences...

The point is that with Tracktion, it not only renders background clips but also shuts down every aspect of the MIDI and AUdio tracks. You can no longer even adjust the level!

Tracktion also handles Rewire on the basis of audio - adjusting the MIDI signal going to Reason is tricky to put it mildly, and so awkward to automate Reason parameter from within Tracktion that most users don't even notice its possible (I didn't for ages!). In Live, Rewire is treated more from the MIDI perspective, with all of Reason's parameters easily automated from right within Live itself. This is a much more powerful implementation :wink:

With the freeze, the way Ableton have implemented this - which I also think is far better than in Tracktion - is that they allow you still to adjust volume/level, pan, effects send amount, corssfades, audio output, mute/solo even once the track is frozen. Most imcredible of all, you can actually launch frozen clips in real time and rearrange your whole piece by recording a different version into the Arrange view using the frozen clips from the track. Outstanding!

Tracktion's freeze has limited value because by deep freezeing the whole track and all its controls, it takes away your ability to use the material in a musical manner from the moment you freeze it :wink:

@ braj - I think the best option at present is to render the rewire clips on the audio return track, close Reason, but leave the MIDI track and clips in place so that you can edit them later. By closing Reason (or even switching the MIDI output of the track to a dead zone) you have acheived what you are trying to do. Hope this helps 8)
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

braj

Post by braj » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:14 am

Livewire wrote:well how would Live know how long you want the clip? it cant read you're mind you know. you know that right?
If you render a 4 bar clip, it renders the clip to 4 bars. (If they implement render)

When Live freezes a clip now, how does it know how long to make it. ISn't it just the same thing? Right now Live 5 is recording frozen clips as soundfiles somewhere, why not just have an option to have those sound files available as 'rendered' audio that you have full control over?

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:24 am

braj wrote:Right now Live 5 is recording frozen clips as soundfiles somewhere, why not just have an option to have those sound files available as 'rendered' audio that you have full control over?
You do (didn't I answer that one elsewhere?)

* Freeze the track

* File > "Save Set Self Contained"

* Bingo - all the frozen clips appear in the song's "Sounds" folder in the browser, and act as an audio files. e.g. "Freeze Track 1.wav".

You can copy it, open it in your wave editor, whatever.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

braj

Post by braj » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:27 am

headquest wrote:
braj wrote:Right now Live 5 is recording frozen clips as soundfiles somewhere, why not just have an option to have those sound files available as 'rendered' audio that you have full control over?

* Freeze the track

* Bingo - all the frozen clips appear in the song's "Sounds" folder in the browser, and act as an audio files. e.g. "Freeze Track 1.wav".

My point is that since they already are being created by Live, why not implement a way of doing it without those extra steps?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:34 am

braj wrote:
headquest wrote:

* Freeze the track

My point is that since they already are being created by Live, why not implement a way of doing it without those extra steps?
Jezus.....
You want Live to feed you too?

braj

Post by braj » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:38 am

hoffman2k wrote:
braj wrote:
headquest wrote: You do (didn't I answer that one elsewhere?)

* Freeze the track

Jezus.....
You want Live to feed you too?
Dude, it's not that complicated. Just a 'render' feature that's nearly there anyway, it likely just needs to be automated somehow from within Live. Anyway, shit. Ableton, stop the presses, people don't want new features. :roll: