Newb PC builder... How many processor cores?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
idokamaroq

Newb PC builder... How many processor cores?

Post by idokamaroq » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:31 am

I am planning my first PC build, with its main purpose being my home production Ableton Live rig. I'm stuck deciding which processor I need/want. Right now, I don't want to talk about RAM or SSDs, I don't want to talk about Skylake or Intel vs. AMD, and I don't even really want to talk about CPU clock speeds if I don't have to. My main question is whether or not I would see a significant performance benefit from a 6-core processor over a quad-core, and again with an 8-core processor over the other two. Also, would a hyperthreaded quad-core CPU (with 8 threads) run as well as an 8-core CPU without hyperthreading? I know that Live is a multi-threaded application, but how much so? Let's assume that all these processors have the same architecture and specs other than the number of cores/threads.

My workflow usually runs 10ish tracks by the end of the project (though that number is growing), mostly VSTis and a sampler or audio recording here and there, most with two to six effects, plus the comp/limiter. Then, several are bussed through a reverb or delay or two. The master bus usually ends up with just an EQ, comp, limiter, and a touch of saturation every once in a while. Largely, this remains stock Live 9 Suite instruments and plug-ins. I rarely ever freeze or flatten a track or bounce it to audio since I like to constantly tweak things too much :P Well, that's what I tell myself, anyways. the real reason is probably because I haven't learned how to integrate freeze/flatten into my workflow.

Now, this is going to break the "no talking about [brand]" rule, but if four processor cores is enough, I would probably go with the AMD A10-7870k APU since it can handle some light gaming. (Don't even tell me "Blah, go with Intel," because that's not what I'm here for.) I have heard that some audio software can take advantage of some GPU power, and I was wondering if this was true with Live (and Live's plug-ins) and the eight Radeon R7 cores inside that APU. If so, cool! But probably not enough to switch me over from a 6 or 8-core CPU if that's what I really need.

Thanks for your advice!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also use Max for Live devices sometimes. Not heavily, but I love to throw Convolution Reverb Pro on stuff and I'm trying to learn some of the other M4L devices that are out there, too.

kitekrazy

Re: Newb PC builder... How many processor cores?

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:09 pm

I'm assuming you are limited to a budget. If you are going with AMD, get the FX6300 6 core processor. It thinks it's the best value for performance. They float around $100. It's always listed on Tom's Hardware for best gaming CPUs for the money and can be ramped up to 4.0 ghz. There is no built in video. There is also an AMD 8 core FX 8320 which is a good value.

I made a rig with

AMD FX6300
Gigabyte 970 board
16GB Ram

For under $300

More cores are effective when working with video software or demand sampler instruments like Play where you load more instances of the VST to take advantage of the cores. Since you don't make large projects you don't need Intel or AMD's biggest.

My main DAW/Gaming rig was going to be an AMD FX8350/990FX board but I'm into having systems using less watts. I went with an Intel i7 4790 (non K) for $100 more.

I think you would like an AMD FX6300. You would need a video card. I'm not a fan of APUs. I only used it on my Intel for setup then disabled it.

This is a great deal here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... bo.1665032

The reality is Intel is a far better chip but the prices are not declining. I have the same hardware listed in the Newegg link and had no problems with assembly. I think you would not be disappointed with that setup. One thing you did not mention is an audio interface. If you don't have one invest in something like a Focusrite Scarlett. To me there is nothing worse than building a system for DAW and then using onboard sound. It's like putting snow tires on a Corvette.

idokamaroq

Post by idokamaroq » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:23 pm

Yes, I'm fairly limited to a budget, but I think I might just wait and ask for parts for Christmas :P

OK, I'll consider the FX-6300. It doesn't look too impressive in benchmarks, though. Especially floating point and AVX stuff, which I've heard is pretty important for music production. That same thing is kind of steering me away from the A10-7870k, too. Oh, decisions, decisions...

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:59 pm

idokamaroq wrote:Yes, I'm fairly limited to a budget, but I think I might just wait and ask for parts for Christmas :P

OK, I'll consider the FX-6300. It doesn't look too impressive in benchmarks, though. Especially floating point and AVX stuff, which I've heard is pretty important for music production. That same thing is kind of steering me away from the A10-7870k, too. Oh, decisions, decisions...
An 8350 was once high in benchmarks. A lot can change in 6 months. Intel would put out a $1500 Xeon and lowers other benchmarks. It would still out perform a laptop and cost less.

granted

Post by granted » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:09 pm

Blah, go with intel. seriously.

idokamaroq

Post by idokamaroq » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:33 pm

granted wrote:Blah, go with intel. seriously.
Why?

granted

Post by granted » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:59 pm

If AMD chips were good I would be using them. I am not using AMD chips therefore they are not good.

Don't buy a music production machine that you might "game" on. Gaming is a time suck and adds little to you music production skills, except in the case that you are into game audio then some time with games would be OK.

Haswell, Broadwell, and Skylake all have decent graphics for a music production computer. This saves on a discreet graphics card that will only add heat, noise, and driver issues to your music rig.

If you are having a support issue with a hardware or software company when the vendor finds out you are using a AMD computer your issue will be less of a priority than a similar issue on an Intel computer.(I have no way to prove this statement.)

Emanresu0891

Post by Emanresu0891 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:50 pm

All you really need to do is search "cpu benchmarks" this will show you what cpu's are rated the best.
Also a little searching will show you that a processors core count does not equal speed anymore. AMD's multi core cpu's have lagged behind Intel's CPU's for years now.

You might be able to play games with that cpu you mentioned, but games rely mostly on the video card. I can't even find it on the Passmark high end cpu benchmark list. Music software relies on the cpu. Im sure you would be able to make music just fine with that cpu (given that it doesn't interfere with your audio driver which amd was known to do a while back) The question is how many tracks will you be able to use until you have to start freezing and rendering because you run out of cpu power.

If you are serious you should get an I7. If you are on a budget get a second hand last gen I7 or an I5.

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:42 am

kitekrazy wrote:
AMD FX6300
Gigabyte 970 board
16GB Ram
this is my specs except i have gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard

no problems with running my interface low latency for recording guitar in ableton or cubase

i havent had preformance related issues at all really with my setup

i do disable the turbo core and cool n quiet stuff in the bios though

for the price its not bad preformance

but the amd fx 8 core is not alot more expensive and i would reccomend getting that instead of the 6 core
windows 8.1, amd fx 6300 3.5ghz , amd radeon 7850 2gb gfx card, GA-78LMT-USB3 rev5.0 mobo, 16 gb ram , 7200 rpm hd , steinberg ur22 interface, cubase 8.0.35 pro , ableton live 9 suite

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:10 am

mrgrim3 wrote:
kitekrazy wrote:
AMD FX6300
Gigabyte 970 board
16GB Ram

no problems with running my interface low latency for recording guitar in ableton or cubase

but the amd fx 8 core is not alot more expensive and i would reccomend getting that instead of the 6 core
That's why I recommend it. 6 or 8 would not be that significant to notice unless you are rendering video. I like the FX6300 because it outs out less watts compared to the FX8's.

I think the items listed and the price are a great value. It's combo package.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:16 am

Emanresu0891 wrote:All you really need to do is search "cpu benchmarks" this will show you what cpu's are rated the best.
Also a little searching will show you that a processors core count does not equal speed anymore. AMD's multi core cpu's have lagged behind Intel's CPU's for years now.

You might be able to play games with that cpu you mentioned, but games rely mostly on the video card. I can't even find it on the Passmark high end cpu benchmark list. Music software relies on the cpu. Im sure you would be able to make music just fine with that cpu (given that it doesn't interfere with your audio driver which amd was known to do a while back) The question is how many tracks will you be able to use until you have to start freezing and rendering because you run out of cpu power.

If you are serious you should get an I7. If you are on a budget get a second hand last gen I7 or an I5.
Not always true. Try a 2.5ghz with a crossfire setup and see how that works. You didn't read the OP. He knows this already. His projects are light. Your post was something he didn't need to hear because he knows.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:17 am

mrgrim3 wrote:
kitekrazy wrote:
AMD FX6300
Gigabyte 970 board
16GB Ram

What audio interface are you running? I haven't messed with mine too much for DAW.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:49 am

idokamaroq wrote:
granted wrote:Blah, go with intel. seriously.
Why?
They are better but I've used AMD for quite some time and never had issues because I've built my own. There is a benchmark often ignored called value per performance. They are on benchmark sites. Some AMDs rate great on them. (FX6300, 8320) When you get to those AMD 150 Watt behemoths - Intel is a better value.

If you ever want to go high end you pick an Intel in the $300-350 range.

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:28 am

I just did a new build with the fx8320 - ASUS m5a97 board - 16gb ram - re-used my EMU 1212/1820 audio interface - WIN7 and . . .
it's running LIVE9.2.1 32bit like a dream
the standard speed test here runs at a stable 11% @ 8 tracks
with my audio card; my guitar and voice are latency-free

. . . but I don't game - too busy making music

peace
8)
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:03 am

kitekrazy wrote:
mrgrim3 wrote:
kitekrazy wrote:
AMD FX6300
Gigabyte 970 board
16GB Ram

What audio interface are you running? I haven't messed with mine too much for DAW.
lexicon alpha , ive been meaning to get a different one though because for some reason the volume knob crackles when you turn it , and it didnt use to do that before

i have had it for a year or 2 and it was cheap like 50$ so probably the compents used arent so great but i dont know alot about the different interfaces ive only had this one

i was looking into focusrite scarlett 2i2 because it is not overly expensive , but i am still waiting to decide
windows 8.1, amd fx 6300 3.5ghz , amd radeon 7850 2gb gfx card, GA-78LMT-USB3 rev5.0 mobo, 16 gb ram , 7200 rpm hd , steinberg ur22 interface, cubase 8.0.35 pro , ableton live 9 suite