Help with names & colors of clips/scenes when using Push

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
EasyWorkflow

Help with names & colors of clips/scenes when using Push

Post by EasyWorkflow » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:21 pm

Hello Friends

This may seem like a simple question, but can people who use Push let me know what system you use to color code clips and scenes as well as how you name them.

For example, I was thinking using Blue for Bass becuase they both use letter "B" which is easy to remember. At the moment, I do not have any system in place and just pick a random color.
Same goes for naming clips and scenes. I have Push and plan on using it when playing live gigs and although still not exactly sure of the workflow I will use, I need to develop a system ASAP for Push so it becomes muscle memory and intuitively know by color how to launch clips and scenes.

Thanks

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Help with names & colors of clips/scenes when using Push

Post by [jur] » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:28 am

So you're searching ways to develop an easyworkflow, right? :)

I don't have any recommendation for you unfortunately. I use a few colours for specific type of instruments, but I'm colourblind so my palette isn't really broad.
But I'm also curious to hear about other Live users' organisation/strategy.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Shift Gorden

Re: Help with names & colors of clips/scenes when using Push

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:20 pm

There's no right way of doing it, just be consistent. E.g. I use orange for all of my beats (kicks, snares, hats, etc), and then another shade of orange for my beat-related busses.

Just think about all components of your track - bass, beats, FX, lead, percussion, etc, and then just stick to your color scheme for all future tracks. The more you do it, the quicker and more intuitive it will be :)

Oh yeah, also think about track order, too - that sometimes makes things easier - especially with Push. E.g. always have your beats first in session view, then bass, then percussion, etc.

I'm curious as to how everyone else does it too!