Synthesizer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mazi92

Synthesizer

Post by Mazi92 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:33 am

Hi!

I try to learn about sound design and synths and I am new at this so have a question about

where to start? I have som basic knowledge about synth adsr , OSC , Amp etc.

What do I need to know? Where can I learn this stuff?

Please give me tips on books , youtube clips , sites or a better vst plugin? ( low cost for a new beginner like me. )

and where can I find synths recipe for pads , lead synth etc?

Right now I am using just Ableton lite.

Zygi

Re: Synthesizer

Post by Zygi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:08 pm

start with synth1 - it's free

http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/#down

and while there are many good tutorials out there - both in written word and movies - it's really better to just experiment. Sad but true :)

Mazi92

Post by Mazi92 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Zygi wrote:start with synth1 - it's free

http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/#down

and while there are many good tutorials out there - both in written word and movies - it's really better to just experiment. Sad but true :)
haha thanks! Already have it! but sometimes doesn't work.

I do that, but would be fun have a direction some more knowledge.

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Everything you need: http://synth.tk/

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:22 pm

http://www.syntorial.com/

edit: ha ha, within the same minute. :wink:

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Intro to Synthesis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
Old, but still valid.
Garry Knight

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Mazi92 wrote:Hi!

I try to learn about sound design and synths and I am new at this so have a question about

Please give me tips on books , youtube clips , sites or a better vst plugin? ( low cost for a new beginner like me. )

The classic How to Make a Noise by Simon Cann is still a very nice introduction to the right thinking. I ended up purchasing Z3TA+ 2 because of this book, that IMHO in one fell swop make all of the Live synths look like carbon copies. I only use Sampler/Simpler of the native ones.

Most of the soft synths in the book are hard or expensive to track down, but you can try the concepts yourself in whatever suitable synth. After all it's by doing you learn.

The free UHE Zebralette is a good learning synth.
Make some music!

Mazi92

Post by Mazi92 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Mazi92 wrote:Hi!

The classic How to Make a Noise by Simon Cann is still a very nice introduction to the right thinking. I ended up purchasing Z3TA+ 2 because of this book, that IMHO in one fell swop make all of the Live synths look like carbon copies. I only use Sampler/Simpler of the native ones.

Most of the soft synths in the book are hard or expensive to track down, but you can try the concepts yourself in whatever suitable synth. After all it's by doing you learn.

The free UHE Zebralette is a good learning synth.
what do you mean with natives ones? how do you use the simpler/sampler?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:44 pm

Mazi92 wrote:
what do you mean with natives ones? how do you use the simpler/sampler?
I referred to the native soft synthesizers/instruments of Live Suite. Actually I also use Electric occasionally, so that leaves these five that I gave up trying to use for anything: Operator, Collision, Tension, Impulse and Analog (order signifies my earlier preference).

I use Sampler for building instruments with multisampling and drum sounds and Simpler for rhythmic sounds as well. Usually I put these in a drum rack and mix sampled drums with drum synths like Fxpansion Tremor, NI Battery and other synthesized sounds.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:48 pm

crystalmsc was kind enough to point out in another thread that quality company UHE made the free synth TyrellN6 together with Amazona Mag. I haven't tried it yet, but any synth made by Urs is worth checking out.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:54 pm

I only use operator from the Live Suite - Sampler doesn't offer time stretch so that's pants.

Actually I use racks with Simpler but I don't really consider that an instrument.

I think Massive is an easy synth to program....

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:00 pm

ian_halsall wrote: I think Massive is an easy synth to program....
I wouldn't say easy, but Massive is a wonderful and capable synth and very rewarding to learn. It's currently my number 2 after Z3TA+ 2. Personally I wouldn't start with Massive. Should definitely be on anyone's "check out" list.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:09 pm

ian_halsall wrote:Sampler doesn't offer time stretch so that's pants.

Actually I use racks with Simpler but I don't really consider that an instrument.
I certainly do not need time stretch in Sampler — would be nice though —  in order to build effective instruments, nor do I need that for drum samples. If I need to time stretch I do that directly in audio or in a separate application. I suppose I'm too old school as I find this acceptable.

Well, Simpler is a simple instrument but can be quite useful.

Drum racks is the most vital feature in Ableton Live! Like Sampler it is most certainly an instrument and one I would never ever want to be without. Quick, fast and effective playing and mixing any sound source to exactly where I want it. My drums depend on racks.
Make some music!

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:10 pm

I highly recommend this book:

It really does cover all the bases. You can't go wrong with having a copy of this book around if you want to learn all about synthesizers.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:09 am

Stromkraft wrote:UHE made the free synth TyrellN6 together with Amazona Mag.
Yes, it's a nice synth to learn about a proper 2 oscs synth.
Mazi92 wrote:I try to learn about sound design and synths and I am new at this so have a question about

To me, learning about synth is not just about tweaking parameters and creating presets, but also about the workflow, way of thinking and spontaneity. I could imagine, how much to learn just from a single Monotron when starting out. It's one of my favorite noisy instrument even now. It gives a different feeling from working with a VST, by sound and logic in using the sound with the realtime knobs/ribbon tweaking. With a help of free plugins and the included Ableton Live native effects, it would make a great blip and blop machine, one can practice anywhere. The learning process is just so natural. Imho, learning from a simple, real analog mono synth, with no preset is the best way to start. You can move to something like Tyrell after understanding the "feeling" right.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums