Refx Nexus - Automate program changes

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
sinextesia

Refx Nexus - Automate program changes

Post by sinextesia » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:37 am

Hi,

I would like to play Nexus as a hardware synth live and I need the way to automate program changes. I'm not sure if midi program changes are implemented in Nexus, anybody knows?. I would like to automate the Nexus program changes by launching midi clips...

I know that a workaround would be chaining multiple instances of Nexus in a instrument rack and then using the chain selector but I was looking for a simpler solution (system performance etc.).

Anybody?

Thanks!

Monchai

Re: Refx Nexus - Automate program changes

Post by Monchai » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:19 pm

I wanted to do that for a long time also dunno how

sinextesia

Re: Refx Nexus - Automate program changes

Post by sinextesia » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:07 am

Hi,

Official response from Refx:
"Sorry, but that is not possible. Nexus would have no way of knowing what "bank 5, preset 97" means. As soon as you add a new category (add an expansion, rename something) the order of banks and presets would change.

It simply doesn't make any sense to support program-change messages in a preset system as flexible as Nexus.

I personally think you're using the wrong tool (Ableton Live) for the job. MainStage (by Apple) is specifically designed to be used as a live-performance tool. You can use program-changes, foot-pedals, midi-cc etc. to switch between "Songs" (settings of presets forALL AU plugins) effortlessly. You can stack them, create splits etc."

So it is not possible at the moment. In my opinion this functionality could be for example implemented with a "User" category that could be controlled by program changes. Similar to the functionality from NI Massive for programs.

So I will have to stick to Sylenth and Massive as my "live" synths...

Regards,
Jon