Automation of multitimbral instruments, how do you do it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Joost

Automation of multitimbral instruments, how do you do it?

Post by Joost » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:53 pm

So far as i know there is still no workaround for automating drumracks or vst's when using them multitimbraly from different midichannels in sessionview.

For me automation is very important during the creative proces and not after having consolidated the separate miditracks so i can use them on the track of the instrument itself.

I cant help myself thinking i must be missing something, so i hope there is a golden tip out there :)

How do you handle the automation of multitimbral instruments in session view?

Stromkraft

Re: Automation of multitimbral instruments, how do you do it?

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Joost wrote:
How do you handle the automation of multitimbral instruments in session view?
I extract the chains in the rack to a new individual tracks and with this process each voice/timbre moves to its own clip. If it's a VST I've set it up with External Instrument and separate outputs in the VST. The External Instrument will now point back to the one VST in the drum rack track and the audio will come to the new track. The drum rack is still there, but the pads moved with the chains.

This is not a workaround, but the normal way I do drums as I mix my racks as full citizens with sends to all my returns just as the rest of my tracks can do. The automation is just a natural bonus.

Another bonus is that I only need one clip per each individual variation of a pattern and can mix freely between different clips with one voice/timbre in each. Except for hi hats or perhaps toms or conga pairs that I'd like to make a group of, so there you have 2 voices in one track.
Make some music!