Admin password to start Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
abpm

Admin password to start Ableton?

Post by abpm » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:25 am

Is this standard and something everyone has to do?

I always get this message:

"Ableton Live 9 Suite wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this."

Then is prompts me for my admin mac pass.

Pitch Black

Re: Admin password to start Ableton?

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:17 am

I still occasionally switch between using Live 8 and Live 9. I get this message when I boot up either version for the first time after using the other version. I believe it may be associated with installing the ReWire engine, which goes pretty deep into mac core audio/core midi services.

Sorry I can't remember where I saw this, so I can't say if this is the absolute truth, but I just type my password when I boot up the new version and the world hasn't ended yet :wink:

Interesting that you get the prompt every time... anyone else have to do this every time, or know why it happens?

BTW, what Live 9 version and OSX version are you using?

<EDIT> Have a look at this page: https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... multiuser/

There's the citation about Rewire:

Live as ReWire slave

When you run Live, files are created so you can use it with ReWire. On Mac OS X, an alias of the Live engine is created in:

/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ReWire/

~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ReWire/

On Windows, the Live installer installs ReWire in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Propellerhead Software\ReWire\

Both require admin rights.

Note: Only the last installed version of Live can be used as a ReWire slave. If you have several versions of Live installed on your system (e.g. Live 8 and 9, or Intro and Suite), the user will be prompted with a dialog requesting admin's password during startup whenever a different version is started. To disable this prompt, add “-DontAskForAdminRights” to the Options.txt in the shared preferences.

...perhaps you could try disabling the prompt, as described in the last sentence above.

HTH
Last edited by Pitch Black on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

abpm

Post by abpm » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:32 am

Pitch Black wrote:I still occasionally switch between using Live 8 and Live 9. I get this message when I boot up either version for the first time after using the other version. I believe it may be associated with installing the ReWire engine, which goes pretty deep into mac core audio/core midi services.

Sorry I can't remember where I saw this, so I can't say if this is the absolute truth, but I just type my password when I boot up the new version and the world hasn't ended yet :wink:

Interesting that you get the prompt every time... anyone else have to do this every time, or know why it happens?

BTW, what Live 9 version and OSX version are you using?
I think I did see something about rewire when I clicked cancel and didn't enter the password. When I don't enter the password, it still opens. So it's not like Ableton doesn't work without the password. It's not a huge issue, just super annoying!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:35 am

ooh! forum leap-frog!

please check the above edit :D

abpm

Post by abpm » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:39 am

Pitch Black wrote:ooh! forum leap-frog!

Thanks!! Will check this tomorrow and post back to let you know!

abpm

Post by abpm » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:07 am

Pitch Black wrote:ooh! forum leap-frog!

So here's the update! First of all, thanks for getting me started, your info helped get me to the place I was looking for!

For anyone having this issues, the fix is below:

1. Go to (User)>Library>Preferences>Ableton>Live (your version)
2. Duplicate one of the .txt files in there and rename the duplicate Options.txt
3. In Options.txt, write the following: -DontAskForAdminRights
4. Save and restart Ableton.

arretx

Post by arretx » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 pm

FYI, this does not work. Sierra 10.12.6.
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:52 am

abpm wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:
For anyone having this issues, the fix is below:

1. Go to (User)>Library>Preferences>Ableton>Live (your version)
2. Duplicate one of the .txt files in there and rename the duplicate Options.txt
3. In Options.txt, write the following: -DontAskForAdminRights
4. Save and restart Ableton.
Doesn't this just mean that whatever needs doing won't get done? IMHO it would be more useful to find out what this specifically is about.
Make some music!