OSX 10.11 El Capitan Compatibility

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

OSX 10.11 El Capitan Compatibility

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:04 pm

I think the Abes said via twitter it's not "compatible now", but it'll be compatible when it's actually out.

It's been out about an hour, is it compatible yet? :D

Does that include M4L?

(Sorry, itchy fingers make me a twat...)

stringtapper

Re: OSX 10.11 El Capitan Compatibility

Post by stringtapper » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:43 pm

This is one update I will have to wait a while on. It's the first one where I've gotten emails from multiple software developers saying to hold on until they roll out a compatible update.
Unsound Designer

mcdreamer

Post by mcdreamer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:04 pm

I've been running the 10.11 GM for the last week and a half. Live 9 and all of my plugins (Arturia, Reaktor 5 are the major ones) work. M4L also works, I just had to install the latest Java package first from https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

What doesn't work is running Live more than once per boot cycle. I have to restart in order to run again after I've quit. The restart takes a long time so I suspect something's not getting cleaned up or released when Live exits. Clicking the Live icon does nothing, not even an infinite bounce.

I'm downloading the App Store version now, which is two builds ahead of the GM. I'll report back if it solves the restart issue.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:42 pm

SHIT!

this means i can't download Yosemite any more, huh?

:x

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:47 pm

stringtapper wrote:This is one update I will have to wait a while on. It's the first one where I've gotten emails from multiple software developers saying to hold on until they roll out a compatible update.

I got the NI warning email and I own A LOT of NI software and hardware.

What irks me is they are the 1 reason I took a long time to upgrade to Yosemite and even when I did many months after release there still was no definitive “All fixed”. Their site said “You may or may not experience issues with our hardware still” and I just said fuck it and upgraded. No issues, but still. I don’t need to upgrade but I hope they don’t take their sweet time with this upgrade too.

mo0kid

Post by mo0kid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:37 pm

mcdreamer wrote: What doesn't work is running Live more than once per boot cycle. I have to restart in order to run again after I've quit. The restart takes a long time so I suspect something's not getting cleaned up or released when Live exits. Clicking the Live icon does nothing, not even an infinite bounce.
9.2.2 fixed that for me

Quez

Post by Quez » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:59 pm

I'm gonna wait about 6 months after release (so 6 months before the next OS X... :roll: )

I'm interested in moving up from Mavericks because it seems like it could end up being a bit like Snow Leopard : under the hood changes for better performances. Well that remains to be seen..

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:31 am

Yes- El Capitan seems like in the end it's going to be a great update to OSX.

No- Fucking Way In Hell am I upgrading until they sort this shit out. :x

NI, Logitech, and MOTU hardware all are reporting issues with Mavericks.
So about half of my computer controllers... +1 Novation and Push.

Plus Audio MIDI Set Up in OSX itself is buggy.

Beyond other apps and VSTs that won't work, the basic things I need don't work.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:55 am

I never understand why people upgrade their operating system straight away...?

I always wait a few months before even considering upgrading.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:07 am

I just updated last month to Yosemite, and regret it so much... I have intermitent problem controling the volume, sometimes I can control it with the keyboard (F11 and F12) but most of the time I have to open system preferences->sound to control it. It won't even work on the top toolbar!

Will the arrival of El Capitan stop the development of Yosemite? It's not even fixed yet!
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:36 am

lapieuvre wrote:I just updated last month to Yosemite, and regret it so much... I have intermittent problem controling the volume, sometimes I can control it with the keyboard (F11 and F12) but most of the time I have to open system preferences->sound to control it. It won't even work on the top toolbar!

Will the arrival of El Capitan stop the development of Yosemite? It's not even fixed yet!
Yep, except security updates I guess. Sounds like that might be a bug unique to you though. Got the latest audio interface drivers? My Yosemite runs fine with the volume controls in general. The only problem I get with sound is if I've been sleeping/waking it and using both the MOTU and internal if the MOTU is off; sometimes internal audio stops working. Switching to the MOTU continues to work but switching to internal gives me nothing though. IF I reboot it's back to normal.

Usually I update pretty quickly as I don't have many plugins so if I have compatible Live and Motu drivers I normally don't have too much extra to wait for. I'm gonna leave it a bit longer this time anyway as my Liquid Foot+ Editor is apparently not compatible, so I'll be damned if I'm gonna edit all my hundreds of MIDI foot controller patches via the menus when I wanna add some new sounds or configs. I've been messing with some fancy new CC pedal configs so it's probably gonna continue getting a load more usage imminently so I can't live without that.

Anyway, I'd be pleased to hear any early adopters opinions regardless. Did anything unexpected break? Did it make things seem slower? Faster? The same? Does any particular bit of the OS seem buggy? Etc, etc? Most general forums are full of people who don't use their mac for much performance stuff so will only comment on whether the notes app is nicer or if Safari 9 seems faster! :)

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Apparently I'm not the only one with these volume problems:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6601928?tstart=0

It would actually be a Yosemite/ProTools problem...
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:19 pm

For anyone with Apogee products, they just sent me an email saying that their products are El Capitan ready. When I checked, most of their line seems to have an update.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:36 pm

mcdreamer wrote:M4L also works, I just had to install the latest Java package first from https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US
While that is the latest Java version (1.6) that is compatible with Max on OS X, it's not "the latest Java package" as indicated by Apple on that page. The current version of Java is 1.8 and isn't currently compatible with Max on OS X.

What irks me most is that Max doesn't even have a real dependency on Java — just some max devices might — it's just that Cycling74 seem to have painted themselves into a corner for yet some time for staying compatible also for older systems. Which I can understand.

For me I'm unwilling to update Max behind 6.1.10 as I now have super stable system in Mavericks with Live 9.2.2, so this means I'll be holding back with OS X 10.11 El Capitan, as I think I'd need to use Max 7 there.
Make some music!

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:41 pm

I’m think software developers and hardware manufacturers are frustrated with having to use resources yearly on Apple’s like clockwork annual upgrades that doesn’t make them any money and at the same time it’s extremely rare, if ever, that Apple’s new OS implements anything that is actually going to benefit their hardware or software.