OSX 10.11 El Capitan Compatibility

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

Re: OSX 10.11 El Capitan Compatibility

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:25 pm

I was just re-reading the NI compatibility message. It only mentions "AU"s and hardware:
TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 (MK1)
TRAKTOR KONTROL X1 (MK1)
TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 (MK1)
AUDIO 8 DJ
AUDIO 4 DJ
AUDIO 2 DJ (MK1)
MASCHINE (MK1)
RIG KONTROL 3

So I'm guessing VSTs are alright? Just not AU versions?

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Ableton was so on top of this that they posted their compatibility thread on here on Oct. 22, 2013. 8O

dave dove

Post by dave dove » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:44 pm

unfortunately live wouldn't load
crashed on startup
until i deleted everything melodyne...

dave
Last edited by dave dove on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:45 pm

H20nly wrote:SHIT!

this means i can't download Yosemite any more, huh?

:x
The Mac is not an iPhone.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:48 pm

beats me wrote:Apple’s like clockwork annual upgrades
I was fine with the 3 year cycle. Apparently that doesn't move computers.
Make some music!

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:33 am

Stromkraft wrote:
beats me wrote:Apple’s like clockwork annual upgrades
I was fine with the 3 year cycle. Apparently that doesn't move computers.
Me getting free OS upgrades doesn't make me want a new one either! :lol:

But then also I pulled the DVD out my current old MacBook and put another drive in so have 2 TB of storage, half of which is SSD for OSX, Ableton and samples/projects. No interest in a new thinner DVD-less Macbook for me til you can get one with twice as much storage as the current ones. I'm not going backwards and gonna start copying stuff around or using external HDDs. :roll:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:01 am

Piplodocus wrote:I was just re-reading the NI compatibility message. It only mentions "AU"s and hardware:
TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 (MK1)
TRAKTOR KONTROL X1 (MK1)
TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 (MK1)
AUDIO 8 DJ
AUDIO 4 DJ
AUDIO 2 DJ (MK1)
MASCHINE (MK1)
RIG KONTROL 3

So I'm guessing VSTs are alright? Just not AU versions?
VST versions seem to be fine, I was using Komplete10 in Maschine last night for hours with no issues.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:02 am

Tarekith wrote: VST versions seem to be fine, I was using Komplete10 in Maschine last night for hours with no issues.
Not as bad as I originally thought then. I'd probably go for it if it wasn't for my Liquid Foot editor.

mcdreamer

Post by mcdreamer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:23 pm

mo0kid wrote:
mcdreamer wrote: What doesn't work is running Live more than once per boot cycle. I have to restart in order to run again after I've quit. The restart takes a long time so I suspect something's not getting cleaned up or released when Live exits. Clicking the Live icon does nothing, not even an infinite bounce.
9.2.2 fixed that for me
Sadly it's not fixed for me in the official release. I may try reinstalling Live or just wait for the next update. Not too annoying - at least it works!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:04 pm

I literally have 4 or 5 possible hardware issues with El Capitan:
Rig Kontrol - beta driver though.
Logitech- they say they have a driver..
MOTU MTP AV- no driver yet.
RME tested with the last beta, but not the final release version.
Not to mention that I have a PCIe card for USB 3 that barely works in Yosemite, probably 100% likely to break in El Capitan.

That said I will update to El Capitan when these issues get sorted, certain new features appeal to me big time.
I hate the browser in Live, and improvements to the browser in OSX are much appreciated.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:16 am

Machinesworking wrote:improvements to the browser in OSX are much appreciated.
Path Finder. Who needs El Capitan when you got that? Finder? Pfft.
Make some music!

mcdreamer

Post by mcdreamer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:24 pm

mcdreamer wrote:
mo0kid wrote:
mcdreamer wrote: What doesn't work is running Live more than once per boot cycle. I have to restart in order to run again after I've quit. The restart takes a long time so I suspect something's not getting cleaned up or released when Live exits. Clicking the Live icon does nothing, not even an infinite bounce.
9.2.2 fixed that for me
Sadly it's not fixed for me in the official release. I may try reinstalling Live or just wait for the next update. Not too annoying - at least it works!
Me again. I've solved my 10.11 issues now. I reinstalled Live. This didn't quite fix the issue but did show an error message on the second launch - it was crashing trying to initialise Renoise as a rewire slave. After uninstalling Renoise (I only had a trial version) I can now freely start Live again multiple times.

Bloodyhell

Post by Bloodyhell » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Ableton no longer sees by APC40 with El Capitan. The Akai website says the APC40 is compatible, and it's showing up on my list of USB connected devices, but Ableton doesn't seem to notice it (or my APC KEY25).

Also, my MOTU micro expresses are not yet compatible according to the MOTU website, so I am without MIDI until they update.

When I run Audio MIDI setup the audio part works fine, but the MIDI part gives me a warning that is cannot communicate with the MIDI server. Is the MIDI server part of the MOTU driver? Maybe this is fouling things up for the APC40.

Unless somebody has an idea, it looks like I'm stuck waiting for the new MOTU driver to find out.

Charlie

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Bloodyhell wrote:Ableton no longer sees by APC40 with El Capitan. The Akai website says the APC40 is compatible, and it's showing up on my list of USB connected devices, but Ableton doesn't seem to notice it (or my APC KEY25).

Also, my MOTU micro expresses are not yet compatible according to the MOTU website, so I am without MIDI until they update.

When I run Audio MIDI setup the audio part works fine, but the MIDI part gives me a warning that is cannot communicate with the MIDI server. Is the MIDI server part of the MOTU driver? Maybe this is fouling things up for the APC40.

Unless somebody has an idea, it looks like I'm stuck waiting for the new MOTU driver to find out.

Charlie
It would be nice if you could get in touch with ableton support about your APC issue.

cheers
julien
Ableton Forum Moderator

Bloodyhell

Post by Bloodyhell » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:40 pm

[jur] wrote:
Bloodyhell wrote:Ableton no longer sees by APC40 with El Capitan. The Akai website says the APC40 is compatible, and it's showing up on my list of USB connected devices, but Ableton doesn't seem to notice it (or my APC KEY25).

Charlie
It would be nice if you could get in touch with ableton support about your APC issue.

cheers
julien
I was able to fix the APC problem by removing all MOTU files on the computer (there are lots of them and they are all over the place - call MOTU for a list), then running First Aid in the revised Disk Utility program. Still no working MIDI interface until MOTU updates, but I at least have my APCs back.

Charlie