Is Live dead already?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fisto

Re: Is Live dead already?

Post by fisto » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:40 pm

puzzlefactory wrote: I know there's a few plugins and sound libraries on my hard drive because I've seen Noisia using them. :D
got ya :D

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:43 am

beats me wrote:Just about every time I see a video featuring one of the millionaire EDM producer/performers they have Live up on their screen. That alone says it’s not going away anytime soon.

Spending a lot of time on Bitching Central that is internet forums gives you a skewed view to where I sometimes find myself going “Wow, they actually get it to work reliably?!?” based entirely on reading people bitching.
posted again for posterity.

a la bounce; credit wisdom

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:52 am

The mock ups only look special to people who never used custom skins.

I use the Maschine skin a fellow forum poster made a few years back and it looks almost as nice.

And for the things that are not doable with a custom skin, I hope Ableton doesn't go this way.
The clip region is not clearly distinct from the mixer, the browser from the grid. Bad GUI choices.
Also the send dials still waste a huge amount of space (one of my pet issues) and the meters are still awefully thin. And still no progress bar of arrangement view visible in Session. Didn't Live 8 have that? I want it back! :x

So I hope Ableton doesn't go this way.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:51 am

don't worry. those are mock ups from Ableton Garagelive.

tintala

Post by tintala » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:14 am

Ironically I was checking out Reaper today based on the recommendation of an award winning producer and percussionist for Steve Roach. I don't think Live is dead, but might incorporate Reaper, oh yea and Steve Roach still used Live at his "LIVE" sets.

mclarensmps

Post by mclarensmps » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:41 pm

"I'm not trying to bash Live, but I'm going to bash live"

fisto

Post by fisto » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:51 pm

well Live will definetely stay my Go-To-Tool for Live-gigs for a long while. That's for sure, but I would like to use it more also in the Studio, and that's where it needs quite some improvement.

What I like about Bitwig for example is that you can use 32-and 64-bit VSTs just as is side by side. No need for j-bridge or anything. Great thing to run big VSTs in 64-bit mode and smaller VSTs in 32-bit. So you expand your RAM-usage significantly if you don't want to go all 64-bit yet.

In Reaper you can specify plugins specifically which should run as their own process. So one never runs out of memory as you could theoretically run each plugin in it's very own process. Also no need for 64-bit plugs here but a huge RAM-improvement :)

And with those 2 programs your DAW won't ever crash due to a bad plugin. It just crashes the plugin's process and that's it. Cool thing I'd say.

sardaukar

Post by sardaukar » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:36 pm

Having invested time in various DAWs, for everything but mixing, I say Live beats everything out there.

Push is an amazing controller..tightly integrated..and the scales functionality it provides really helps those who aren't classically trained keyboardists.

It's already incredible mature. Bitwig is has some really nice ideas, but is still very much a baby compared the the functionality / reliability / predictability that Live provides.

The only thing Live lacks (off the top of my head) is alias / ghost clips & layered editing. But that might be coming in v10...who knows.

Cant stand Logic. I find its UI inconsistent, convoluted, fiddly and most of all...frustrating. I know some people love the thing. Obviously it works for for them, But for the life of me, I don't know how.

FL studio isn't bad, but windows only. If you're one of them people that doesn't mind wrestling with windows, so that if can handle real-time audio without glitching, than FL studio isn't a bad alternative to Live. However, if you're like me, once you went OSX, and realise it how well it handles stutter free audio (out of the box), you don't go back to Windows.

To be honest. If Live didn't exist. I'd probably be using Studio One. Its rock solid and its workflow is streamlined (in some cases more-so than Live).

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:17 am

TomViolenz wrote: And still no progress bar of arrangement view visible in Session. Didn't Live 8 have that? I want it back! :x
cmd-alt-O
Ableton Forum Moderator

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:52 am

[jur] wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: And still no progress bar of arrangement view visible in Session. Didn't Live 8 have that? I want it back! :x
cmd-alt-O
8O
How the hell did I miss this?! :oops:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:55 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
[jur] wrote:
cmd-alt-O
8O
How the hell did I miss this?! :oops:
you were probably busy typing a rant when it was shared. :wink:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:40 pm

:x

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:04 am

View -> Overview. You just needed to spare 2 more clicks to reach that menu.

daddytang

Post by daddytang » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:36 pm

I have tried them all. Live beats them all hands down but we really need layered midi editing.