Is Live dead already?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kitekrazy

Re: Is Live dead already?

Post by kitekrazy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:00 pm

fisto wrote:I said "dead" because there is nothing happening...no real improvements..rather stagnant because it's moving forward in ultra-slow-steps...building up on old-code...getting heavier and heavier...

i was just thinking out loud.

btw. the iPhone gets quite an update each year...i don't have one but still. Everything in the software-world gets updated more frequently than Live xD (maybe not cubase but all others, haha)
Pay attention to the beta released. They've done far more more on 9 than 8.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:02 pm

H20nly wrote:
fisto wrote: 9.1 is quite reliable I would say...I just don't trust Ableton anymore :/
there's this one guy that's frequently coming to the Live forum and talking about how awesome Reaper is... Maybe you should take his advice and switch...
Reaper is awesome but it's a different way of working.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:05 pm

beats me wrote:
fisto wrote:and the mulsimillionaire AVICIIs really don't influence the choice of my DAW xD
then I would never use Reaper, but I do and love it :)

As you gain experience you explore more options but I’m willing to bet a good percentage of noobs make their decisions based on indirect endorsements from their favorite producers.
Nope. I'd say price is a factor. Live is expensive.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:14 pm

daddytang wrote:I have tried them all. Live beats them all hands down but we really need layered midi editing.
I prefer FL Studio but with audio clips you can't beat Live. I have many of the DAW on the PC side. They are all different. Bedroom musicians treat DAWs like they are religions. I doubt the professionals waste their time bashing DAWs.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:16 pm

Division Monarchy wrote:So what if version 9 has been out for a few years now?

If one is unable to make music with it as it is, with all of its features, they are in the wrong field.

As far as wanting more, this sounds more like people acting like software junkies, and making excuses for not being able to create anything. It happens. Everyone falls into a rut. I'm trying to crawl out of one myself, but it's ridiculous to insinuate the software is dead because someone has nothing. Version 10 can come out next week, and it still won't make you any better.
What do you mean bringing astute observation to this important discussion? 8O
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:00 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Division Monarchy wrote:So what if version 9 has been out for a few years now?

If one is unable to make music with it as it is, with all of its features, they are in the wrong field.

As far as wanting more, this sounds more like people acting like software junkies, and making excuses for not being able to create anything. It happens. Everyone falls into a rut. I'm trying to crawl out of one myself, but it's ridiculous to insinuate the software is dead because someone has nothing. Version 10 can come out next week, and it still won't make you any better.
What do you mean bringing astute observation to this important discussion? 8O
I reject this attitude.
Can I make music with a kazoo? Yes. Could the instrument be improved? Yes.

Could people travel in a Ford Model T? Yes. Could it be improved? Yes it could.
Of course the vehicle was operational but flaws could be corrected, and new innovations incorporated to make the resultant product MORE EFFECTIVE.

When somebody denies innovation, when somebody rejects improvement - that person is holding me back. That person is not a leader, they are an anchor.

Don't tie yourself to an anchor

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:38 pm

Angstrom wrote: When somebody denies innovation, when somebody rejects improvement - that person is holding me back. That person is not a leader, they are an anchor.
No matter what, you can do the music you want these days with little investment. Don't blame the tool. Choose the tools that works the way you do. Are you suggesting there is not one DAW on the planet that enables you doing the music you want to make? Maybe you need to purchase other instruments than those that come with Live or even get another DAW. It was always like that.

What if you don't feel held back? I don't, even if I need evolution and fixes. I feel we're finally getting the fixes now.
I welcome improvement suggestions and discussions about this, but I feel it's very possible to produce great tracks in Live and I know many people who do that since years. They just do it. Do they love everything in Live? Nope.
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Strawman

Nobody said they are "unable to make music with it"

I certainly use it every day, which is why the flaws chaff at me. People who try to shout down bug reports, or deride legitimate reports on issues, those people are not helping the company or the product.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:15 am

a kazoo can't be improved.
and sometimes trying to improve a scalpel ends up as a ridiculous swiss army knife.

honestly i would be fine with oh, maybe live 6's, feature set so long as everything works fast and reliably.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:33 am

Angstrom wrote:Strawman

Nobody said they are "unable to make music with it"

I certainly use it every day, which is why the flaws chaff at me. People who try to shout down bug reports, or deride legitimate reports on issues, those people are not helping the company or the product.
You can't seriously be suggesting anyone have done that in this thread? We have different opinions on the current state of Live, but the frame of reference here is "Is Live dead?" not "Can Live be improved?". That is bound to affect the responses you get.

To claim "there is nothing happening...no real improvements.." with the current state of 9.2 is just ridiculous. I can't take the wants of such a person seriously. If the actual evolution and progress that is now real, long due or not, can be acknowledged, then further improvements are both natural and welcome.

Steady improvements in key areas, like we've seen with 9.1 and with 9.2 especially is what I want to see more of with 9.2.3 and so on. Wishes for features other than those that really should have been there from day one in Live 9 can be left for Live 10 or so. While opinions can vary I think most could agree on 5 to 10 of those after some healthy discussion. Or not, but I've decided to trust Ableton while I encourage anyone to communicate their needs to the organization. Software development is not about "order the features we want and the company delivers". Developers need to be visionary, because real time software takes time to develop without negative side-effects such as bugs or incompatibility. They have to be ahead in the game.

What I want is stability, which I have now, except for when quitting the app and more efficient code. That's more important than features that would be nice to have. There's a whole lot I'd like to see, but I won't let any of them tie me down.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Make some music!

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:13 am

Live is dead to me until there is a "record only metronome" feature :P